Old Savage Action in New Palma Stock

gzig5

I got a good deal on a Savage Palma stock and want to put my older 10FP action in it. The Palma action has ~4.40" between the action screws and my 10FP action is 4.275". I've got a couple idea's, a mill, a lathe, some aluminum and epoxy. Before I cut into it, has anyone done this before, putting an older action in one of the newer Target action stocks? Obviously the holes don't line up, but if it has been done before I would like to see how. A search didn't turn up anything and I got skunked on the Savage forum.

In the picture the existing action screws line up with the red lines. The rear isn't a problem except that the pillar has to be notched, but the front will interfere with the existing pillar. My idea was to put a new threaded hole in the rear of the action (blue) and then shift the action about 1/8" forward and install a new front pillar where the blue line is.

Anyone see a problem with doing it that way or can suggest another method?
Greg

IMG_4651_1.jpg

Ignore the holes in the stock. Pillar bed it making new holes in the stock. The rear screw pillar will be cut out for the sear.

Wrong screw spacing

I had the opposite problem with a Bell & Carlson stock. I bored an over-size hole at 4.4" which completely removed the old pillar and made a pillar/escutheon for the front screw and bedded it with Devcon Aluminum Putty. - nhk

Attachments

• oversize pillar-escutcheon.jpg
    oversize pillar-escutcheon.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 396
  • P9160065.jpg
    P9160065.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 365
This weekend I managed to put a new rear action hole .330" in front of the existing one in the action. It took quite a bit of time to get the action set up in the mill, but seems to have come out well. I'll work on putting in a new front pillar this week and hopefully have it bedded for my ground squirrel expedition the second week of April. This will move the action .150" forward of where it would have been, but I think it will work out OK. I'll post some pics when done.

Back