Old links not working? Must remove www?

4Mesh

My link to this forum has been the same for many years. www.benchrest.com/forums

It no longer works? It would appear there are two copies of the forum being pointed to with two different dns, because if I use www in the address, I get parse errors showing something is mistyped in one of the php files. But if I just use benchrest.com, that works ok.

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_CONSTANT_ENCAPSED_STRING in /home/wilburh/public_html/forums/includes/functions.php(5347) : eval()'d code on line 1

Obviously, this isn't an issue to me, perse, but, it might be an issue to others who are not as familiar with workarounds like that for navigating a website.

// edit

Ah, I see the forums have been moved to the root of the hosting, so, now benchrest.com isn't the IBS website anymore, it's just the forum. Might be a snafu, might be an intended change, not sure. I guess I'll wait it out.

Last edited by a moderator:
There have been a number of issues with the site over the last few weeks. Guys getting red crosses and error messages or being unable to open threads etc.

I guess this is just part of the fix required to keep the forum open.

I was getting the exact same syntax error message. But guessed that all was not as it should be with the link I was using so simply re-searched for the web page.

I'm sure one of the IT bods will be along shortly and offer a practical explanation as to what went wrong and why the www had to be dropped in order to fix the glitch.

Ah, I see the forums have been moved to the root of the hosting, so, now benchrest.com isn't the IBS website anymore, it's just the forum. Might be a snafu, might be an intended change, not sure. I guess I'll wait it out.
Benchrest.com NEVER has been the IBS website.

Dick Grosbier
IBS webmaster

Phil, I got the same error message for a while, starting on Thursday, in the middle of the spam storm. Thought that was it at first. But no, I just had to rebuild my shortcut. I never look at the exact string for shortcuts, just drag & drop into the menu bar. Imagine most do the same.

I'm trying to figure this one out :confused:

Is this the only link problem that produces such an error or are there others?

Wilbur,
Thanks, yes that fixed it.

Dick,
Sorry, I guess I always assumed (incorrectly) that there was some affiliation. Must be all the BR logos on the front page.

Charles,
I use Opera, so I never retype things. Even moving to a new system (which I did several times lately) I simply tell it to restore all the settings and it loads up everything for favorites, speed-dial, history, browsing history, passwords, cookies, email and email account settings, etc. In one fell swoop, whoosh, the browser and mail are back exactly the way they've been on every system I have. So, I'd bet it's been near a decade since I typed the address for brc. No chance of me getting it wrong.

It's all good now.

I'm trying to figure this one out :confused:

Is this the only link problem that produces such an error or are there others?
I only saw this error while attempting to access the forum index.

While this was happening, I immediately went to my history to see if pulling up a thread would cause the same issue. It did not. I was able to point to various thread display pages and do a refresh on them, and that worked just fine. With the www prefix. I also was able to navigate to the other forums from there, even to the main forum index. That was when I saw I was on just brc.com, not www dot brc dot com. Somewhere between my history page and clicking links, the prefix was missing, so your dynamically created links within the forum software were referencing just benchrest.com. I again tried my speed-dial (fancy Opera favorites gizmo) and again it failed to get to the forum index or home page. Under no circumstances could I get to the BRC home page. Not with or without www. I thought perhaps that part was getting moved somewhere else. At that point, since I was getting a scripting error, I assumed there were two copies of the hosted site up on the server. One with a typo, and the other operational. Still not sure that's not the case. So then I figured you must be working on the site and had parts of it down, so I decided to wait.

I hope that helps

The Vbulletin CMS version currently running was installed in the BC home directory and a redirect from the old /forums directory was added so that bookmarks would still work. Then....suddenly.....stuff like that didn't work! Pretty sure the guy that worked on those home page graphics and killed about half the sites on the server did something stupid and won't tell what happened.

Thanks for all your hard work.

BTW all, I went to the administrator's profile, and it said "the administrator hasn't made any friends yet." That's sad. As unskilled as I am in the social network phenomena, we owe him/her a fair bit. He/she should have lots of friends!

Charles

I guess I always assumed (incorrectly) that there was some affiliation. Must be all the BR logos on the front page.

Wilbur, as a public service to the BR community provides links to many of the major organizations from his main page. But Benchrest.com as I understand it is solely his property.

Thanks Charles but it ain't so bad. My Wilbur account has 8 friends.....After all these years I discovered that Wilbur doesn't swing as big a stick as Admin. Golly, Admin can do a lot more stuff.

BTW...can anybody see a button/link at the bottom of non-moderator posts that says "Spam".

Last edited:
BTW...can anybody see a button/link at the bottom of non-moderator posts that says "Spam".

Yes there is a visible 'spam' button on the 'registered user' posts when I am logged in. It is not visible when I am logged out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Charles but it ain't so bad. My Wilbur account has 8 friends.....After all these years I discovered that Wilbur doesn't swing as big a stick as Admin. Golly, Admin can do a lot more stuff.

For Heavens sakes people, Wilbur needs more friends. He is a very nice guy and I am glad to call him "friend".

On the other hand, Wilbur, you have eight friends you can count on. In the end, we all need at least six.

Concho Bill

That's truly funny! If I don't knock off the Twinkies I'll need more than six.

Back