Off set scope mount

J

jerryhm

Does anyone make a side off set mount for a weaver rail?
ie: shooting left handed using right eye..

Harrell's Precision makes offset rings for Davidson style bases and also sells bases for most rifles. The price is very good as well.

Rick

The Harrells rings are excellent. I have several sets, including some recently installed offset ones, but their degree of offset is probably not enough to allow one to shoot right handed with ones left eye, or the other way around. I like the offsets a lot for bench shooting where I do not want my cheek to touch the stock, and don't want to have my scope as high as it would have to be to accomplish that. In addition, since I shoot left handed, and have right hand twist barrels, I think that offsetting the scope to the rifle's right has some advantage in reducing the effect of torque during firing. I am right handed and left eye dominant. Luckily I can manage shooting left handed just fine. I understand that doing this sort of thing is more difficult for some people who are so strongly right handed that they cannot do much of anything with their left. Incidentally, for training new shooters to shoot rifles, the NRA recommends that in the case of cross dominance, that shooters be taught to shoot from their dominant eye side, rather than that of their dominant hand. I was lucky in that when I first learned to shoot, as a young boy, my dad did not force me to shoot with my weak eye.

Offset scope mount

Jerry _

Howdy !

Weaver themselves make an ( 45* ) " offset " scope " mount ".

I believe these mounts are intended for use when mounting auxilliary sighting accessories to black rifles.

I co-opted the use of a pair on my Marlin M-336 XLR, to gain extra clearance for my headphone cup vs the rifle stock.
Just shot the combo @ the range this past Sun, and it seems to work just fine ( target shooting from a bench ).

Can't speak to field use, but I don't imagine it would be a good configuration for that.

With regards,
.357Mag

Thanks for the replys

I sent my rifle smith the accurateshooter article. This is close to what I need.

Shoulder operation on the right side, will be a few more months of no recoil. Tried the left side, no problem shooting, but cannot focus with left eye (cataracts) .

Thank for all responses

Jerry

I just ate breakfast with a group of friends, one of which has has cataract operations on both eyes. He was smiling broadly as he reported how much better he is able to see. His distance vision tests 20-20 without correction and 20-15 with. Other friends have had similar experiences.

The Harrells rings are excellent. I have several sets, including some recently installed offset ones, but their degree of offset is probably not enough to allow one to shoot right handed with ones left eye, or the other way around. I like the offsets a lot for bench shooting where I do not want my cheek to touch the stock, and don't want to have my scope as high as it would have to be to accomplish that. In addition, since I shoot left handed, and have right hand twist barrels, I think that offsetting the scope to the rifle's right has some advantage in reducing the effect of torque during firing. I am right handed and left eye dominant. Luckily I can manage shooting left handed just fine. I understand that doing this sort of thing is more difficult for some people who are so strongly right handed that they cannot do much of anything with their left. Incidentally, for training new shooters to shoot rifles, the NRA recommends that in the case of cross dominance, that shooters be taught to shoot from their dominant eye side, rather than that of their dominant hand. I was lucky in that when I first learned to shoot, as a young boy, my dad did not force me to shoot with my weak eye.

Good info Boyd,
Thanks,
Rick

A number of years ago my dad who was in his late 80's lost his sight in his right eye, he was a right hand benchrest shooter. I purchased an offset mount from Robert Hart in Nescopeck, PA. It is made of aluminum and weighs approximately 6 oz. with an offset of 2 1/4 inches. It was for a Kelby Panda action. It was very high quality and my dad was able to learn to shoot with it as well as when he had vision in his right eye. The mount was very solid and easily could support a 42 power Nightforce Scope. The only problem with the offset mounting is when you are have a 100 yard zero and go to 200 yards you have to change the windage as well as the elevation on the scope due to the offset. I happened to have an old catalog from Hart dated 2008 which lists these mounts for Remington right and left hand which uses the existing mounting holes on the receiver and has a Weaver base on the other side. They also made a mount for actions with Weaver bases installed on actions in addition to the Kelby base mounting. I don't know if Hart still maks these offset bases but it may be worth checking with them. Their telephone number is 1-800-368-3656. I was not successful in trying to upload a picture of the mount. If you would like to see it, I would try to email you a picture.

Bob

Get those cataracts removed.

You can buy lens that correct all vision for the surgeon to sew on your eye.

I elected to have the lens that insurance will pay. I there for need reading glasses.

I can see iron sights which I have not been able to for years.

My son started shooting a bow at 11.

We found out he was left eye dominate but right handed.

He squacked but got the left handed bow and started shooting shot gun and rifle left handed.

We still practice shooting a rifle with the off hand.
It's nice to be able to at times.

He is now in his 50s and has mentioned many times, he is glad I made him change.

Shooting with one eye closed is like standing on one foot to shoot.

Kenny

Eye docs removing cataracts can correct one eye for distance, and one for close work; it's called monovision. I don't care for the concept, but someone contemplating trying it should inform the Dr. About their shooting hobby. BTW, I think Ronald Reagan's surgeon set him up with monovision. And, as sicero has said, new lens implants giving a bifocal effect are available.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have two sets of the Morr offset rings that I bought over a year ago; had cataracts, especially in right eye and I shoot right handed. It wasn't difficult to still shoot RH and use my left eye. Had cataract surgery both eyes not quite a year ago, so looking forward to better vision this spring. I will leave the offset rings on to help keep my cheek away from stock. Don

Back