Oatey cutting oil

Bro.D

Has anyone used Oatey dark tread cutting oil for chambering and threading? What was your experience?

Seems OK

I had been getting the Rigid brand at Lowes but last time there, all they had was Oatey.

I tried it and can't tell the difference.

A. Weldy

oil

Skeet are you saying that the Oatey is chlorinated or the Ace brand? Help my ignorance too, is chlorination a negative or a positive when it comes to cutting oils and why? Thanks

Sorry I am not the best writer by any means. The ace hardware brand is chlorinated . I really like this oil and it is half the price of the other name brand oils I have used. The ridged id also a great oil, but I think I get better results with the ace hardware oil. Lee

Bro. D, I used to use Transultex H which was a high sulphur cutting oil. I developed an allergy to it and tried various low or no sulphur cutting oils. I'm presently using Rigid
Extreme Perfomance cutting oil. Where I live, everything cutting tool related has to be ordered. The last Rigid cutting oil I ordered came from Staples. Never thought of Staples carrying cutting oil.

Skeet are you saying that the Oatey is chlorinated or the Ace brand? Help my ignorance too, is chlorination a negative or a positive when it comes to cutting oils and why? Thanks

I believe the chlorination acts as an additional lubricant when heat and cutting pressure is present.

I believe the chlorination acts as an additional lubricant when heat and cutting pressure is present.

Recirculating coolant systems have always had dermatological issues by some users, not all, but some. The addition of a chlorine containing addative was to keep down bacterial buildup.

Along came OSHA and things got really sticky especially in larger shops where the OSHA inspectors liked to pounce!!

From Cimcool: http://www.cimcool.com/wp-content/uploads/tech-reports/newchlor.pdf

Chlorine Use In Metalworking Fluids
Where chlorine comes from, what form it can take and its implications, especially in the aerospace industry:

Chlorine is an element belonging to the same group as fluorine, bromine and iodine. This group is called the halogens. Chlorine is the only member of this group currently of concern.

Chlorine can occur in a metalworking fluid mix in one of three ways:

1. As a chloroparaffin or chlorinated olefin. This is present as an extreme pressure (EP) lubricant in some metalworking fluids which are designed for use on ferrous metals. It is believed that chlorinated olefins break down chemically under the influence of (extreme) heat and pressure near the cutting or grinding zone, to form a solid lubricant film between the ferrous work piece and the tool. Although the same break down mechanism and film forming is unlikely in the case of aluminum, it has been observed that chlorinated olefins can help in the cutting or grinding of aluminum alloys, especially automotive alloys. However, since there are other (non- chlorinated) lubricants that work just as well with aluminum it is generally best to avoid chlorinated olefins when cutting or grinding aluminum.

The best cutting oil I have used is Master Chemical Trim OM300. Wait until MSC has a free shipping deal going on and try a gallon of it. Oatey is nice because you can usually buy it locally.

I just get vipers venom from grizzly. Always used rigid dark before. Both work very well using carbide inserts on sst barrels for me

Do you guys use Vipers Venom straight up and mixed with something else? I remember reading someone mentioned mixing it with STP, not sure if that was a serious post or meant to be funny.

Vipers Veneom Stands on its own...

I've switched to vipers venom from the dark cutting oils and like it better.

STP is thick and tacky, holds lubricity to high friction areas when parts don't have any other lubricant flowing on them at the time. Example used while building engines to protect the bearing surfaces before the oil pump pushes the correct lubricant on to them. STP will provide the lubricity but hold the chips.

I use Bob Pastors Vipers Venom when cutting threads and have used it when not using my flush system. In my flush system I use Rustlic 255R. Rustlic 255R is no longer made and has been replaced with UltraCut Pro. Both of these are water based Extreme Pressure High Chlorine coolant lubricants.

I have used Rigid and Oakly thread cutting oil to cut threads in the past. Both work well. I use Viper's Venom because it is a little cleaner and I want to support Bob Pastor who is a former fellow F-Class shooter. Bob does a lot for new shooters and shooting clubs.

Nat Lambeth

Vipers venon is great oil, just don't hit it with high pressure air. This stuff mist extremely bad. Cant be good to breath!!!! Lee

Last edited:
Back