now seeing a ghost reticle in my scopes...

herbeapuce

Hi everyone !

2/3rd life male here now having trouble focusing on the scope reticle. I have 2 scopes, a nice Leupold BR 24x and an OK BSA 24x fix Japan.

( also have a bushnell 4200 8x32 , same problem...)

The reticle on both is very fine duplex with an 1/8 MOA dot ( I could be wrong on the 1/8... but it's all very thin )

I was glasses free until my 40s but now I wear bifocal glasses. but I usually take them off when shooting

with or without the glasses, it seems I can't see one single reticle anymore... there's always a ghost reticle next to the other....

I tried to play with the eye focus and the parallax, but nothing really works

I am wondering if there is an easy fix for this

about I buy myself some cheap dollar store reading glasses , form 1.X to 4X and see if it helps ? have anyone of you done that ?

I also read the eyes clear solution could help , does it really?

is this a common problem

if you know how to fix this problem , please let me know.

it becomes more and more difficult , with the mirages and now this condition, to get good groups...

Happy shooting !

Regads
stef.

Eye Doctor

Why not bring this up with your Eye Doctor? He/She might be more likely to advise you.

Why not bring this up with your Eye Doctor? He/She might be more likely to advise you.

+1 on the eye doctor. My father has experienced a similar thing twice, first it was cataracts, then a couple of years later, it came back and in his case, it was the early stages of Macula degeneration. He's all good now, but let the optometrist take a look and determine what might be going on in your case.

Hi. I will talk to my doctor about this when I see him,, but that's in a year or so..
I saw him about 2 mouths ago. I took an extra test to be on the safe side, but everything turned out normal.
I'm not worry to much about this condition for now. I did more reading and I'm not the only one having this problem .....

thank you
stef

An improperly adjusted occular piece can cause what you're seeing. Adjusting it against a flat, bright surface is best. Generally, as our eyes age, the diopter adjustment will be to the negative (-) side of the diopter scale. Use the Leupold or the Bushnell 4200. -Al

two crosshairs

I had an old 6x18 redfield I saw two crosshairs but that's the only one. Most of my scopes are leupold. Havent seen it in them yet. I thought it was the scope but it might of been me. Doug

Definitely see an eye doc

I was having similar problems going back to early '19. I knew I had cataracts developing but didn't think they were all that bad. Then, I began to have problems driving at night -- lots of glare and difficulty reading the signs. AND, I just couldn't a clear focus thru a scope, no matter how much I tweaked things.

So, I went to my eye doc and told him what I was experiencing. He confirmed the cataracts were ready to be removed. I told him I most definitely wanted the absolute best long distance vision he could give me, even if that required reading glasses. I had the cataract surgery in January and I'm now back to a bit better than 20/20 -- not quite as good as when I was 18 years old but I guess one can't expect that from eyes as old as mine. BUT, it's absolutely great to be able to see sharply again!

This may not be your exact problem. But, please go see you eye doc.

All the best,
Glen O.

All males know what "this" leads to.

Every male, especially Catholics, in our age group knows the main cause of weak vision. If you are experiencing a general decline in vigor check your palms. If they are furry (and they probably are) you know the cause. Tim

Last edited:
Definitely see the eye Doc. After having the perma clear surgery, he was not able to correct the astigmatism in my right eye to get it perfect. Also I had some scarring from a piece of steel from about 25 years ago. Anyway after all that I was seeing the ghost crosshair too. Got a prescription and it took it away. Just a couple weeks ago I was looking for some new lenses for my Randolph Rangers that I use for shotgun shooting and came across HD lenses. A bit of research gave me the idea they might remove the ghost hair. They do and things appear sharper. They are supposed to reduce glare and remove/reduce the halos. That is a big side effect of having the surgery-which is essentally the same as cataract surgery. Anyway, it worked for me.

I’ve always had a little astigmatism, but didn’t need glasses. At ~50 years old I started seeing a second thin vertical crosshair. I got bifocal glasses, but couldn’t see through the scope worth crap. l went to contact lenses and that took care of the double crosshair. See great with them. It didn’t help with seeing up close and gets worse with contacts. I normally just use the contacts when shooting and carry cheap cheaters to see up close. Bifocals to watch TV and read.

I’ve always had a little astigmatism, but didn’t need glasses. At ~50 years old I started seeing a second thin vertical crosshair. I got bifocal glasses, but couldn’t see through the scope worth crap. l went to contact lenses and that took care of the double crosshair. See great with them. It didn’t help with seeing up close and gets worse with contacts. I normally just use the contacts when shooting and carry cheap cheaters to see up close. Bifocals to watch TV and read.

I was just at the eye doc on Monday and now they have available multi-focal contacts. A progressive lense just like no line bifocals.

Go to the eye doc.

I had similar issues a few years ago. I had trouble focusing near the center of my vision when using a scope. It became really apparent one day when I looked through a scope at a blank wall (to see if the scope was clean) and noticed a dark shadow area in a small circle just to the right of my central vision. Looked through with the other eye and it was clear. Went to the eye doc and got a retinal CT scan and found out I had Central Serous Retinopathy https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_serous_retinopathy

Its fairly common but most people never know they have it and it usually goes away by itself within a couple of months.

Mine didn't go away by itself and required some Ultraviolet dye in my veins and a few "hits" with a laser to stop a leaking blood vessel. All outpatient stuff.

I would have never known without looking through a scope. (You can do a amsler grid vision test on your own to determine if you have it)

After repair, i could really tell a difference in shooting as well as ability to read faster.

Eyes are pretty important for shooting - go see a doctor regularly.

Back