Nosler 280 Ackley Imp Brass

jackie schmidt

A good friend Ed Bernabeo, ask me to order him a reamer to build a new 280 Ackley Imp.

He has some of the Nosler 280 Ackley Imp Brass. We seated a bullet, and decided that a .313 neck would be perfect, giving a total clearance of .0025 to .003.

I did some measuring on the necks of this brass, and I must say, it is quite good, less than .0005 variation in the neck wall thickness. I told Ed that for this Rifle, neck turning would be of no use with brass of this quality.

I wonder who is making this brass for Nosler. Maybe they are. It is some of the best I have seen...........jackie

The Brass

Jackie,

I am a big fan of the .280 Imp and have always wondered about the Nosler brass.

Thanks for the info!

Handloader stated it was Federal brass that was prepped by Nosler. They compared brass in 308 Win article with a bunch of brands, and Nosler was best out of the box but wore out the quickest. They didn't anneal.

A Norma flyer had Nosler as a headstamp.

I use it for .22-250 and now .223. It has smaller internal dimensions than other brass. Very consistent.

Nosler seems to stay cleaner than Federal, so I am inclined to think it is not the same.

jackie,

I have a mid 90's Borden 280AI w/ a .311 neck that is my main go to hunting rig.

The last batch of Nosler required no trimming!!! I too was pretty amazed at the consistancy...brass life is somewhat limited like all the others I have tried but I run'em hot.

pf
<><

Some of the Nolser brass came from Federal,but not all. The 280 AI did not.

95 % of all nosler custom brass comes from either Norma or Lapua, the 280 AI most likely is from Norma.

Jackie
I have one 280ai with a 310 neck and am building a second. Have used Nosler brass only. If Ed needs any load or chrono info to get started have him call.
Mike
936-661-1636

N165 has been my go to powder for 120-140gr pills.

pf
<><

Nosler

I contacted Dave Kiff and ordered a reamer with a .313 neck. He said that was a very popular combo, the Nosler Brass and a .313 neck. He also stated that he had heard that RWS was the manufacturer......jackie

I contacted Dave Kiff and ordered a reamer with a .313 neck. He said that was a very popular combo, the Nosler Brass and a .313 neck. He also stated that he had heard that RWS was the manufacturer......jackie

Jackie, there is only 1 supplier I have found that carries RWS brass in 280 rem. Its Huntingtons, their price is 34.95 a 20. Natchez does caryy some RWS brass, but not 280, and most of theirs is priced 28 - 32 bucks a 20.

On the other hand Norma makes a 280 rem for about 110.00 a 100. Nosler is the only 1 who lists brass for the 280 Rem Ackley Imp 40. Nosler is the only 1 that produces ammunition in that caliber that I can find (57.00 a 20).
Right now there is a sale on 280 Nosler Ackley Imp. brass @ 56.00 a 50, normally 61 a 50. 0r 112.00 a 100.
Just about the same price as Norma, so my guess is that Norma made that brass especially for Nosler, and only Nosler.
Going by prices and the fact that Norma and Nosler have a cozy arrangement on Norma using alot of Nosler bullets, if your buddy did get RWS brass in that caliber from Nosler, then he got just about 2 buck apiece brass for about 1/2 price and better buy alot more.
Its Norma.

Just my 2 cents
DR

What do the Hornaday 280 AI cases weigh?

Here are some average case weights that might help a guess as to whether the Hornaday 280 cases are made by Norma or RWS.

RWS 7 Rem Mag 265.1 gr.
Norma 7 Rem Mag 217.5 gr.

RWS 270 Win 198.0 gr.
Norma 280 Rem 181.6 gr.
Norma 7/64 Bren 186.0

Greg

Back