Non abrasive barrel cleaners

Bob Kingsbury

Following some recent threads on barrel cleaners, I bought some
slip 2000. Today , I got a good candidate, a Remchester that had seen little
cleaning, according to my borescope. After 15 minutes and 3 wet patches spaced
5 mins apart, I dry patched it. I was awarded with some light brown streaks on a
tight patch. A brief trip back in with the borescope says $20 bucks down the drain.

Bronze Brush; Why are folks s reluctant to use them? Try scrubbing one on the outside of your barrel and see if you can make a mark on it.

Butch, I am trying patch out right now and with 3 applications, its done a decent job of gobbling up copper. But the carbon
remains. Normally, I do use a brush, even with Iosso. But for now, I'm only using patches.

Last edited:
i'm a patch guy, but i do not think it would work on a stubborn bbl if one was at a match...it does take time.
i use a brush on some of my mil surplus rifles....no big deal with most of those bores.....

i will admit to doing a full clean on the HBN bbl , then recoating.

mike in co

OK, here goes again, You'll put a bullet down the barrel with 60 to 70 thousand pounds pressure but your worried about cleaning. I'm one of the most aggressive cleaners out there. I use 50 BMG to get the carbon and some of the copper, then I use sweets 7.62 with a nylon brush let it set then patch it out with 50 BMG then I use Flitze, patch that out and finish with Kroil. And my rifle have been shooting good for years!

Joe SAlt

Back