Newbie question on scope

T

tbmt33

I am brand new to bench rest. I have a remington 700 in .243 and a tikka t3 in .223. I will most likely not be doing competitions but want to compete with myself in trying to get as good as possible. I only have access to a 100 yard and 200 yard range. I will be handloading starting soon. My question is about a scope to start with. Am i better off with something like a weaver 36x or a sightron 36. or more of a variable scope such as the sightron 6-24. My budget is only about $500 for the scope. I know its not a lot but I have more important bills to pay nowadays. thanks for all your input. Also am i wasting my time with the .223. The reason i like it is because its cheaper to shoot factory, and I personally like the tikka better than the remington. Thanks

Newbie question on scope.....

I am brand new to bench rest. I have a remington 700 in .243 and a tikka t3 in .223. I will most likely not be doing competitions but want to compete with myself in trying to get as good as possible. I only have access to a 100 yard and 200 yard range. I will be handloading starting soon. My question is about a scope to start with. Am i better off with something like a weaver 36x or a sightron 36. or more of a variable scope such as the sightron 6-24. My budget is only about $500 for the scope. I know its not a lot but I have more important bills to pay nowadays. thanks for all your input. Also am i wasting my time with the .223. The reason i like it is because its cheaper to shoot factory, and I personally like the tikka better than the remington. Thanks

I don't have any personal experience with a Sightron 36X,but I do own 2 Leupold 36X's and 2 Weaver T-36's. I have had excellent service with all 4. The Weaver scopes are an excellent value. It will do all you need to do for target shooting. If you intend to hunt more than target shoot,you may want to consider a 6-24X.

For under $500, the T-36 is hard to beat. For variable, same price range, take a look at the Weaver V-Series 6 x 24 (42mm). I've had one on a .50 BMG bolt gun for 9 years now. I keep waiting for it to shift, but it just won't give.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

I have both the Sightron 36x on several rifles, and the T-36 on another. I'm happy with both. Don't see too much difference in clarity, but I feel the Sightrons track more consistently. Customer service for both has been good for both too in my limited experience with them.

As far as the 223, I don't think it's a waste of your time at the ranges you mention. In fact it's a good choice for learning reloading and availability of components. Shoot it, master it, and move on to other calibers if you want to. JME. WD

It sounds like the accuracy bug has bitten you but the virus hasn't overwhelmed you yet. Soon it will and you'll be wanting to improve your skills and some of your equipment, especially once you start hand loading. The .223 is a fine cartridge to start with, mainly because of cost and availability of parts and components, both new and used.

The problem is that nobody is giving away anything, so you need to maximize value for money. I have a couple of Muller scopes and I would not overlook them if I were you. They offer good value for money and you will be well served by their 8x32x44 scope with side focus.

You say you aren't interested in competition. I'll say this: BR shooting is fun, but the guys who do it seriously, especially short range BR, are a different breed. Some say they're not really human and it takes a special person to get involved in that flavor of competition. However, mid range F-Class is within your reach. The top guys are really really good and their rifles cost more than my car. But there are plenty of matches further down the food chain.

You can find local F Class matches in which you can do quite will with your .223. In fact, the F/TR class is restricted to the .223 and .308, so you'll fit right in. Once you get your bullets hitting a 100 yard target at 1/2 MOA or better most of the time, ask around about a local F/TR match. All you need is a bipod and a quilt to begin with. Chances are you'll make some new friends and have more fun than you might imagine.

It will take you some time to hone your hand loading skills and fine tune your .223 to shoot well at 100 yards. That process can be a lot of fun and quite rewarding. But once you start shooting some 5 shot groups which all go more or less into the same hole and you don't cut the target up to put in your wallet because good groups are no longer a surprise to you, you'll be asking yourself "What next". I would recommend giving F/TR competition a try. You can certainly start with one of those Muller 8x32x44 scopes; I did.

Spend your Money on a scope that will meet your needs

Nighforce NXS 5.5-22x56 Zero Stop HVM, C375 SKU C375-NF

Last edited:
If you are going to play this game, there is something to get straight in your mind at the beginning. Cheap glass is arguably the most expensive part of this sport. Scrape together whatever you can and get the very best you can possibly afford. Also, go with the highest magnification you can get. You can turn the power down, but you can't twist it up if it's not there. The 36X Weaver (used) is the best value, but if you can cobble together another couple hundred you can get a Sightron 10x60 and you will not regret it. Snap on tools used to say " the quality is still there long after the price has been forgotten". Don't buy cheap glass, you lose when you buy it and you lose again when you sell it.....and you WILL sell it.

Rick

I'll agree with what Rick wrote but I'll add this. It doesn't matter which scope you choose at or greater than 36X as long as you can see the target and it will stay where it is after adjustment. A Weaver that will hold is better than a more expensive scope that will not.

I am brand new to bench rest. I have a remington 700 in .243 and a tikka t3 in .223. I will most likely not be doing competitions but want to compete with myself in trying to get as good as possible. I only have access to a 100 yard and 200 yard range with ruger 10/22, dailyshooting has recommend for that. , I will be handloading starting soon. My question is about a scope to start with. Am i better off with something like a weaver 36x or a sightron 36. or more of a variable scope such as the sightron 6-24. My budget is only about $500 for the scope. I know its not a lot but I have more important bills to pay nowadays. thanks for all your input. Also am i wasting my time with the .223. The reason i like it is because its cheaper to shoot factory, and I personally like the tikka better than the remington. Thanks

I know your budget just $500. But look at the Leupold Mark 2 Tactical 4 to 12 power. Cost around $600.00.

Spend your Money on a scope that will meet your needs

Nighforce NXS 5.5-22x56 Zero Stop HVM, C375 SKU C375-NF

The OP's spending limit is $500. Do you suppose Optics Planet will saw the $2000 Nightforce you recommend as a scope which will meet the OP's needs into four pieces and sell him one quarter so as to fit his budget?............. I didn't think so.

I appreciate nice things. But I've been around long enough to know that stuff you want is not always stuff you can buy.

I wanted a Ferrari continuously from the age of about 12, but it wasn't until I was 65 until I could justify buying one. For the first half of those many years of yearning for a Ferrari I couldn't afford one. For the second half I could afford one but I couldn't justify it. But eventually things came together and I bought what I had wanted for such a long time. But that doesn't mean I was walking all those years either.

I'll bet the OP can afford the $2000 scope you recommend, but chances are he can't justify it, at least not right now. He could spend money on a scope that will meet his needs, as you suggest, but he might prefer to spend some of it on food which meets the needs of his family. It sound's like he's allocated five hundred bucks for a scope and for that price he can get one which meets his current needs even if it's not the same scope he might be dreaming about.

The OP's spending limit is $500. Do you suppose Optics Planet will saw the $2000 Nightforce you recommend as a scope which will meet the OP's needs into four pieces and sell him one quarter so as to fit his budget?............. I didn't think so....

otoh - spending $500 on a scope that won't meet the OP's need is just wasting $500.

I've got a Sightron 36x on my ARA (22lr) set up, works good at 50 yds, but can't speak for 100/200 as I've just not had the need or reason to check it out at those ranges. At 50, the Sightron is clear, can read the fine print on the ARA targets even with these old (62) eyes with tri-focals. :rolleyes: I've also got 3 Leupold "Rifleman" series scopes in 3x9 & 4x12. Glass is clear, no issues but the 3x9 is not quite enough magnification at 200 for any real precision IMO. The 4x12's help, but something in the 20 mag range would probably be enough for the precision you are looking for now. I've got the Leupolds on 223 & 204 rifles. Info may help, the Rifleman series are ~$250-300 IIRC. A Weaver T-24 may be a good one, but is not much less than a T36. I've looked thru some Weavers and compared them to my Sightron, and seemed to be about equal in clarity IMO. GL

On the list

Check out any major competition listing in bench rest and you'll probably see several Weaver 36 scopes listed. These are serious competitors and some still compete with the Weaver 36. Been around forever and has always had a good reputation for holding Point of Aim plus elevation and windage adjustment accuracy.

They come with a sun shade and an extra set of adjustment knobs. Something most scopes do not.

Just a thought....virg

Head's Up

Hey TBMT - if you're still looking Natchez (natchezss.com) is having a great sale on the Weaver fixed power benchrest scopes. Both the AO and the Side Focus in 36x and 46x. The guys over at Rimfire Central are buying them up in quantities, it's like a feeding frenzy!

If you're looking for something that can be used for target shooting and hunting check out the new Athlon scopes. I picked up the Helos BTR 8-34x and couldn't be happier for the money. They have a less expensive version and you can get them with a first focal plane reticle in MOA or MIL which helps once you work out how to range distance with them.

Good luck!

Back