newbie in Virginia looking to get into 600 yard shooting. Could use some help

A

Arizona78

I'd like to get into 600 yard shooting, I have a savage 30/06 tactical. I'd like to know where I can go to watch a match and see how it is run. If there is a "stock" gun class. Etc etc..

could use all the help I can get

No one in the benchrest community has answered your post, mostly, I think, because AFAIK, there is no 600 yard benchrest near you, and because your rifle won't be competitive in a benchrest match. There is no "factory class" per se offered by any of the sanctioning bodies. Whether or not a club chooses to offer a factory class is their concern.

But it sounds to me that NRA's (Highpower) F-class might suit you better. There are likely a number of clubs that shoot 600 yard F-class (highpower). There is one in North Carolina that shoots at Camp Butner, which is off exit 191 on I-85. (We shoot 1,000 yard benchrest there, too).

Perhaps if you give us a bit more information, like benchrest or F-class, approximately where you live & how far you're willing to travel, we could be more helpful.

600yd range close to VA

What part of Va? Yes there is a match in Bridgeville Deleware. The season starts August and ends in March. We shoot normally 1 sunday a month. We will be shooting on Oct 22 and 23rd. each day being a seperate match. Our schedule is on the IBS page. The club gives out awards for Light gun, Heavy gun and yes Factory class to. Best thing to do is to come on over and talk to the shooters and see what's going on. Some people seem to foget that a Savage Factory gun when loaded right will spank those big custom action guns. I have done it for a few years when i shot factory class. I always compared group size and score with them as well as what the gun cost me and what their gun cost them. All my custom guns have all Factory Savage actions that i took off my factory guns over the years. When the shooter does his job, their hard to beat. It also helps to have a Gunsmith (The Rifler) That can work on a savage action and have it feel just like those $2,000 actions. Hope to see ya. Almost forgot, you don't need to be a member of the IBS to shoot there. We give awards eithier way. Plus we have our own club SOY awards that are given out at the end of the season.

Last edited by a moderator:
I live in central virginia.. I think fairfax or manassas gun club has matches there. Are there any smith's that specialize in Savage.

Bridgeville also has F-class but there is only 1 left for this season. Nov-6. Its 3 targets @600 2 sighters and 20 shots for record on each.

I live in central virginia.. I think fairfax or manassas gun club has matches there. Are there any smith's that specialize in Savage.

Kevin Rayhill is an exceptional Savage gunsmith and doesn't seem to have as much of a backlog as SSS. Kevin has a web site called Stockade Gun Stocks I believe this is the link: http://www.stockadegunstocks.com/

There will be a 600 yd. fun match at Piedmont Gun Club shot by IBS rules around New year's . It will be in Rutherfordton NC so just look for a posting near that time for info on the match.

Rodney

There is a 600 yd two day shoot this weekend at butner. four matches each day.
Come on down.

Chuck.

Back