New Texas Rain Gauge

Yes Al I do remember the 70's. I didnt think you were near old enough for that.

Remember it? I LIVED it :) And rolled my eyes at "health" (Aloe Vera/Barley Green/Shaklee/Rolfing) and "science" (cow magnets/vapor motors/Pogue carburetors/time travel/cold fusion/home aid turbines and generators of all shapes and sorts.... perpetual motion mo'chines...) and "social" experiments (we won't go there! :) )

and the coming Ice Age.

It was the 70's taught me that just because it's written down (National Geographic/Popular Science/Bradford Angier/Farley Mowat/Archko/Shroud/Von Daniken/Slavomir Rawicz don't get me STARTED lol) doesn't make it TRUE.

About the only real experimenter alive was Thor Heyerdahl! Dude went an' DONE IT! Which allows me another Yogi, "IT AIN'T BRAGGIN' if ya' really done it!"

LOL

al

Incidentally.... On the subject of 'conspiracies' and 'suppression of ideas' and stuff. There IS one item I remember from the 70's that I believe really went out of production because it was too good!

Original pyroceram cookware was AWESOME. I don't cook but I'm impressed by Good Stuff and I think this stuff was actually TOO GOOD for it's own good. Corningware sold the idea some time back but I believe they dropped the line because of a lack of sales.... (I don't agree with this business tactic, I think it's shortsighted, and can't back up my supposition but this stuff was TOO GOOD to fail)

Great bowls for cooking BP (there, I met the 'bligatory!)

how's that for a pirate

al

Say Butch !!!.........

Your rain gauge would work well, up here.......if it were INVERTED!!!!!!

It was 106 degrees here today.........at 9 o'clock........at NIGHT!!!!!!

Kevin

Hi Butch....looks like rain here tomorrow...so im gona mow the "green grass" today...ahhaha....OBTW..is that "rain guage" available on line...shuld be reasonably priced....you Texas guys wuld only have to empty it once or twice a year....hahahah...good to to see you still can smile....take care...drizzly ole' Rog

Kevin,
You know I lived in WF and Burkburnett for years. I know of what you are speaking. Roger, look at my yard.

281fqt4.jpg

I had it hydro mulched and they said water it 4 times a day until it is established. I got my first bill for water today. I may have to sell a rifle. $813 last month. Who knew that we would have a severe drought?
Butch

Butch, the only yards around here that look like yours are the ones that are painted!

Yep, they are only allowing you to water 2 days a week and most people have given up on a yard and just have them painted. LOL

A $200+ fine if you are caught during the off times and fines for excess water use.

We haven't had any measurable rainfall since October of last year!

Brad Calhoun

Brad,
You guys never have rain. I do believe Cecil got a call a few years ago when we were at the Nationals that his house was flooded. He didn't believe his wife as it never rains in Midland or Odessa.
Butch

Hey Butch ...if Cecil's house was flodded it was from leaky pipes....ahaahahha....your yard looks marvelous!!!..Mine is WV green...lots of weeds....Roger

if you get rain, who ya gonna get to read the rain gauge...????
all them texans is out making more rain gauges.....
(sucking on long necks)

mike in co

2. The Sun is in a pattern that does bring us more heat.... After coming outta Solar Minimum from the last 11 years.
It should be predictably going into Solar Maximum... More and bigger Sun spots... So the Sun is still basically "stuck" in Solar Minimum .... I read a while back that from Max to Min the difference in visible light output is up about 8%, ultraviolet light up 3-5% and infrared light up a whopping 8-10% .... Infrared is what brings us the HEAT.. This extended Minimum just exposes the Earth to more Infrared radiation.... Makes it ...Hotter....

cale

Total solar radiation does vary (by about 0.1%), but way too little to explain global warming. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_variation

Solar-cycle-data.jpg

Cheers,
Keith

Total solar radiation does vary (by about 0.1%), but way too little to explain global warming.

Yes, on second thought.... The article I had read was 6-7 years ago from Astrophsics.... The range of Infrared, Visible, Utraviolet light was on the order of 0.9 - 0.01 of a %.....

Me and my decimal points....... The 1.0% ranges were dealing with the carbon dating of formations showing patterns where Maunder Minimum appreciably affected Sun light output...Even approching a full percentage point.

Modern research has found the following to be true though...

Satellite monitoring of solar luminosity since 1980 has shown there is a direct relationship between the solar activity (sunspot) cycle and luminosity with a solar cycle peak-to-peak amplitude of about 0.1 %.[2] Luminosity has also been found to decrease by as much as 0.3 % on a 10 day timescale when large groups of sunspots rotate across the Earth's view and increase by as much as 0.05 % for up to 6 months due to faculae associated with the large sunspot groups.

Still, like I said previously....

The Sun and Earth is at least 4.6 Billion years old............ We by no means know the Sun's patterns........ Let alone our OWN TRUE CLIMATE PATTERNS..!

cale

Last edited by a moderator:
We have had global warming since the end of the last ice age... and we will continue to have global warming until the next ice age starts. It hasn't got much to do with us or what we do...

All the efforts mankind has done in the last few years to reduce what they think of as man made causes of warming was negated in two days by eruptions in Iceland.

Al

Your cookware is still available. http://www.shopworldkitchen.com/corningware/stovetop

It's good for baking and that sort of thing, but it's not so great as a stovetop cookware. Things tend to stick terrible, especially if based with a polymer (eggs). A cake with eggs for instance will be welded fast to the pan. No amount of oil or "release agent" will save you on that score. They're best for casseroles and more wet main dishes.

I don't believe one bit of global warming. I think the earth is a very big radiator and to heat it up will take a good bit more heat than we've got. If airborne pollutants are what's causing it, then I'd say the oil field fires of Iraq from a decade ago are more to blame than any of us. Air force one makes more emissions on takeoff than my cars will during my lifetime. Should we look at the big problems first?

One thing that IS a fact is that the poles of the earth shift. What is now the artic poles used to be tropics and was covered with vegetation. Fossil remains show this pretty clearly.

During the revolutionary war era, temps in this area were colder by 10f average than they were 50-100 years later. Back then, rivers around DC froze solid. Didn't happen in the mid 1800s and beyond. I guess global warming began way back then before cars and oil furnaces...

Al, I remember the 70's. Hurricane Agnes anyone?? Yes, I recall photos (didn't see this live) house trailers floating OVER TOP of railroad bridges on the Susquehanna River 1 mile from what is now my river lot. Cows too... So before folks start claiming that NOW we have extremes of weather, lets not forget we had extremes long ago too. Old movies from the 30's have folks talking about drought's then too. They might be bad, but they're not new.

Last edited by a moderator:
Al,
the last paragraph of that wiki answer says they're again making limited stovetop-safe pieces. But, all the same, I'd take my All-Clad or Cast Iron over that any day. I own some, even some old stuff. I can say as a fact the "Visions" stuff is useless. Several family members permanently borrowed most of mine, and I've not bothered to attempt getting it back, I like it that much. Better be careful trying to borrow my cast iron tho.

On the subject of rain, here in central PA we had a drought like most of the country. Had record rain in the spring, then total drought for about 8 weeks. Now, this past weekend I got over 3" of rain in 2 days. Funny enough, never once did I consider watering the grass. :rolleyes:

I think the earth is a very big radiator and to heat it up will take a good bit more heat than we've got. If airborne pollutants are what's causing it, then I'd say the oil field fires of Iraq from a decade ago are more to blame than any of us. Air force one makes more emissions on takeoff than my cars will during my lifetime. Should we look at the big problems first?

The radiator analogy is a good one. Carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases are like a big blanket over the radiator. Burning of fossil fuels emits over 30 billion metric tons of "blanket" per year (http://205.254.135.24/oiaf/ieo/emissions.html). The Kuwait oil fires were small by comparison. Carbon dioxide has risen to almost 400 ppm during the industrial age, after not being higher than 300 ppm for the previous 400,000 years.
Carbon_Dioxide_400kyr.jpg
Not discounting the complexity of calculating the resulting temperature change down to the nth degree, it's really pretty simple - we have about 25% more blanket.

Cheers,
Keith

Airplanes burn large amounts of fuel compared to cars, but aviation only accounts for about 2% of total emissions.

Keith,
Just using your own numbers here:

So, CO2 has increased from 300 parts per MILLION to 400 Parts per MILLION. Lets take this in context. Now, my meter at home rarely shows greater than 50ppm naturally, and when I say that is rare, I mean really rare. There are however some days where CO2 can be found in the air around us. Open the windows, and there's no change. Now if you live in a city, well, your numbers are probably going to be higher than mine living in the middle of nowhere.

A 33% increase in something which NOW represents .04% of the atmosphere, seems a bit unlikely to be causing a temperature change due to its insulating value. Since the vast majority of our heat comes and goes as light (at some spectrum), it seems unlikely that this is a cause. But, who knows. I'd rather believe that there has been weather for the past x billion years, and there will be weather for the next x billion years. These people who predict the weather can't predict correctly for the weather we experience Currently, in real time! How the hell can they predict much more than that.

They're ok at seeing conditions 1000 miles away and saying these may or may not hit us later. As long as it's a gigantic storm. Well, I can pick up the phone and call friends and family in Indiana and get tomorrows PA weather a lot closer than anyone on TV predicts.

Funny enough, I've been around farming my entire life (not that I enjoyed very much). I live on a farm now. Now, I've not made weather a lifetime study, but I have fairly decent recollection and it 'has' been a thing that affected me daily since childhood. In my lifetime, I have NEVER heard that the weather in Pennsylvania was "Normal". EVERY single year of my life, there have been some "abnormal weather conditions". Rainy times, dry times, stormy times, floods, droughts, blizzards, ice storms and hail, hurricanes, tornadoes, you name it, we've had it. I remember 'The Hole in the Ozone". I also remember when it was made illegal to sell gizmos that create Ozone cause evidently the hole in the ozone was total BS. I think the whole global warming thing follows the ozone thing.

I was reading an article yesterday about the conditions in Texas. This writer says that there has been 6" of rain in TX this year. Normal rainfall is 12" annually. Then he says it would take 22" of rain in one month to get back to "Normal". Wtf is normal and where did they come up with that math? Almost 2 years worth of rain in a month to get back to normal alright. And people sit and read this crap and just eat it up.

Btw, our "drought" in PA ended. We must be back to abnormally wet now cause it'd be a real shame if we had 'normal weather" for a while. I'm almost afraid to find out what normal is. But, I really think abnormal, is normal.

Not discounting the complexity of calculating the resulting temperature change down to the nth degree, it's really pretty simple - we have about 25% more blanket.

Airplanes burn large amounts of fuel compared to cars, but aviation only accounts for about 2% of total emissions.
Ps. We only have 33% more blanket, IFFFFF the other 99.96% of the atmosphere acts 0% as a blanket (methinks that ain't the case).

As to the Jets and their emmissions, it's not about how may pounds perse, it's about WHAT those pounds are made up of. While my car has a catalytic converter, Air Force One, does not. Diesel emissions are vastly more a problem than those from gasoline. Jet fuel is much more akin to diesel than gas... It's carbon chains are far less likely to break down.

Back