New Side Lever for Thomas BR Mechanical

michaelthomas

www.thomasrifles.com
I added a new side lever cocking system to my mechanical bench gun. In the 20ftlb configuration, it takes less than 2lbs to cock, and does not disturb the gun in the rest and bag, whatsoever.....even if you only pull on the lever without touching the gun anywhere else. I used tiny ball bearings in the pivot arm to further reduce friction and effort. Its very, very smooth. There is also a return spring incorporated into the design, so the arm returns to ready on it's own. It's a good improvement over the straight pull setup that took 6x more effort, and required you to manually return the bolt. The arm is also ambidextrous....so it can be flipped over to make left hand cocking.

Here is a video and some pictures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJUIH9RhlAU

Mike

Attachments

• Internal Side Lever.jpg
    Internal Side Lever.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 965
  • Complete.jpg
    Complete.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 881
Mike,

Paul had sent me pictures of this new configuration yesterday and I'm looking forward to trying his. Outstanding work my friend.

Dave

Mike,
Your always thinking how to improve an already Great product!! I am impressed with everything you do.
Paul Bendix

Good work Michael

Very thoughtful design making it ambidextrous. Do you make your swing breach ambidextrous with a stop pin location on the other side?

Mike Aber

Thanks.....

I have made a few that way.

I have shot both right and left swing breeches, and have found left swinging awkward when sitting on the left of the gun. It's much more of a natural hand movement to swing to the right for righties.....just simple pronation and supination. Linzie requested hers to be opposite.....but it's because she does all her loading with her left hand so she can stay in position for FT.

I have tried the cocking mechanism on the left of my gun.....and I really don't like that, either. It may be a decent feature to be able to go on either side.....but I'm guessing it will go unused for the most part.

Mike

Back