New Rifle

jackie schmidt

I have been wanting to build a purpose built 200 Yard VFS Rifle for some time, based on Bart's 80 grn bullet and Grinch chamber.

I chose a Bat Neuvo Action with Bat Rings. The barrel is a 25 inch 1-12 Krieger HV. The stock is a Robertson HV Stock, (34ounces), that I have had on a couple of Rifles. The tuner is my own. The trigger is a Bix & Andy.

I remolded and bedded The stock for the Neuvo. I pillared it and it will be a bolt in. I had to drill and tap the action, as it comes non drilled. You have to use a Carbide drill, as a High Speed drill will not cut the Melanite Coating.

I will see how this works out.

http://benchrest.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=20367&stc=1&d=1510534925

http://benchrest.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=20368&stc=1&d=1510535134

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    948.4 KB · Views: 1,571
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    929.6 KB · Views: 1,308
Last edited:
why would an action come undrilled for scope bases?

Greg. U didn't read it right. It had nothing to do with scope bases. Neuvo actions do not come pre-drilled if you wanted to screw the action in. Good luck Jackie with the new rig.

Greg. U didn't read it right. It had nothing to do with scope bases. Neuvo actions do not come pre-drilled if you wanted to screw the action in. Good luck Jackie with the new rig.

Correct. It of course comes drilled for scope bases. They do not drill the action for stock mounting, but do have small center punch marks where you should put the tapped holes.

The idea is the majority of shooters building a Benchrest Rifle prefer to glue the action in.

Correct. It of course comes drilled for scope bases. They do not drill the action for stock mounting, but do have small center punch marks where you should put the tapped holes.

The idea is the majority of shooters building a Benchrest Rifle prefer to glue the action in.

Not me Jackie. I had one glue in rifle, my dedicated 200 & 200 yard Bat chambered in 30 Jaguar 2, (30x46), on a Scoville carbon stock. Damn Marine Tex let go and the thing ended up popping out of the action at my house about 3 weeks ago. I noticed that it wasn't shooting as well as it did last season. I felt that there was something wrong but I couldn't put my finger on it. I don't know if it gradually started to loosen up or whether is just totally failed all at once at the house. Sent it to Sid Goodling 3 weeks ago. Called him today and he told me that he started to work up a plan using 2 pillars and the next thing you know he said that he got ambitious and he added 2 pillars, then glued it with Devcon 10720 and he was done. He even surprised himself that he got right into it and finished it so quick. That was the only rifle out of the 11 that I own that wasn't a glue and screw from the start.

Jackie,
Any word on how your new rifle shoots?

I worked with it las Sunday. I tuned it to an average 3200 fps with 133 and the 80 grn Bart's.

After working with the seating depth and tuner, she's shooting at a a "mid three" level at 200 yards.

The Bat Neuvo Action is flawless. I do have to lighten the ejector spring a little more, it's pitching the case too far. No big deal.

I hung three 200 yard score targets, put myself on the clock, and shot all tens with about 7 X's.

Good shooting Rifle.

Jackie, very good looking rifle. I had a Nuevo action come in for a customer yesterday. Very slick action and I'm very impressed with it. The Hall style bolt pretty well makes the safest sako style extractor installation that you can have as if it did happen to blow out, it would be contained inside the front of the receiver. I was going to set it up in the mill before sending it out to have stocked to lengthen the slot above the trigger, but saw that it had already been done. That's about time. After having a kernal of powder keep a trigger from resetting on a DS about 10 years ago and then again the next day with a Panda, I haven't fired an action since that didn't have the top of the trigger bar open to the top of the action. Arnold Jewell had told me to do that years before it happened to me. So many times words of wisdom go in one ear and out the other until it happens to you, then you see the reason behind the logic. From what I see of the Nuevo, I don't think you'll have any regrets getting the action. The cost is the only drawback, but when you spread it over the length of time we normally shoot a rifle, that is negligible. Definitely buy the best logic here and cry once.

Jackie, very good looking rifle. I had a Nuevo action come in for a customer yesterday. Very slick action and I'm very impressed with it. The Hall style bolt pretty well makes the safest sako style extractor installation that you can have as if it did happen to blow out, it would be contained inside the front of the receiver. I was going to set it up in the mill before sending it out to have stocked to lengthen the slot above the trigger, but saw that it had already been done. That's about time. After having a kernal of powder keep a trigger from resetting on a DS about 10 years ago and then again the next day with a Panda, I haven't fired an action since that didn't have the top of the trigger bar open to the top of the action. Arnold Jewell had told me to do that years before it happened to me. So many times words of wisdom go in one ear and out the other until it happens to you, then you see the reason behind the logic. From what I see of the Nuevo, I don't think you'll have any regrets getting the action. The cost is the only drawback, but when you spread it over the length of time we normally shoot a rifle, that is negligible. Definitely buy the best logic here and cry once.

And of course, the big feature is the bolt lugs that lay horizontal instead of verticle when the bolt is closed.

At he very least, it's something different.

And of course, the big feature is the bolt lugs that lay horizontal instead of verticle when the bolt is closed.

At he very least, it's something different.

The first custom action that I ever had was a Jimmy Meyer action. I bought it from Jef Fowler when he was in Midland. That action had the Hall style bolt and also had locking lugs that locked up horizontally. The action shot great, but extraction camming was made with a half inch end mill or smaller diameter end mill making the radius for the cam. The old small radius in a larger radius school of bolt handle camming. The camming didn't work worth a flip. I've installed ejector pins in Hall bolts before with mixed results even after plugging the sliding plate extractor slot and installing a Sako style extractor. I had never thought of moving it to the same side and below the extractor and when you do it on a Hall you only get one shot at getting it right. The horizontal lock up does put the extractor on top of one lug and the ejector pin on the other lug. When the bolt is open the extractor is on top of the right side mini port. The ejector pin is located on the same side of the action, but directly below the extractor instead of the normal place you see the ejector pin directly opposite the extractor on the other side of the action on other actions. Lots of thought and work went into figuring out the geometry to get the ejection 100%. Very impressive action and also as slick working as any I've seen. I imagine that it won't be long before Chris' inventory sells out quickly as people get to seeing this new action and more importantly the results that people are getting with it. I look forward to seeing what all else has been done to this action. Chris said they have worked on the fire control mechanism. My plan with this action is to get a barrel chambered and fit to the action while it's out of the stock while it easiest to check thread fit, headspace and everything else then send it to Bob Scarbrough to put in one of his stocks. The shooter I'm building the rifle for is just getting back into shooting benchrest after a long lay off. He and his wife shot in the 99 Nationals at Raton.

At he very least, it's something different.[/QUOTE. Jackie how does the Nuevo compare to the bat DS.
Will it out shoot it in the rite hands or is it just a better feeling action. Just curious I just had one built with the DS bat.

At he very least, it's something different.[/QUOTE. Jackie how does the Nuevo compare to the bat DS.
Will it out shoot it in the rite hands or is it just a better feeling action. Just curious I just had one built with the DS bat.

I don't know the answer to that question. The reason I bought the Neuvo is ......."why not"

I wanted to build a new Rifle, this was the newest thing on the block.

Let me win some Aggs, then I will give you an honest opinion. Untill then, it's just another nice shooting Action.

Back