New Reloading problem

Z

Zundel257

Ok, I am using redding competition PPC USA dies. I turned the necks on some cases that have never been shot in my new rifle. They load fine at first and shoot fine. Now when I try to reload the fire formed cases the bullet will not seat properly. It seats just fine in brass that has not been shot, but when I try to seat a bullet in the fire formed brass you can just pull the bullet back out of the case with your fingers. I tried seating the bullet lower in the case and that does not help. The bullet still just falls right back out of the case. It is like the necks are too thin for the seating dies to be able to clamp them down on the bullet. Do i need a different kind of die? Any other possible solutions would be a help too.

Ok, I am using redding competition PPC USA dies. I turned the necks on some cases that have never been shot in my new rifle. They load fine at first and shoot fine. Now when I try to reload the fire formed cases the bullet will not seat properly. It seats just fine in brass that has not been shot, but when I try to seat a bullet in the fire formed brass you can just pull the bullet back out of the case with your fingers. I tried seating the bullet lower in the case and that does not help. The bullet still just falls right back out of the case. It is like the necks are too thin for the seating dies to be able to clamp them down on the bullet. Do i need a different kind of die? Any other possible solutions would be a help too.
What neck bushing are you using, assuming your die allows interchangeable bushings. If so, start with a bushing that is 0.003" smaller than what your unfired brass measures with a seated bullet.

I am assuming that you also have a either a competition FL or a neck bushing sizing die, along with your seating die - if you are not getting enough grip on the seated bullet, you need a smaller bushing - try 2 thou (0.002") smaller than what you have now, and you should not have any more problems.

Jeff are you using Redding num. 77211 Sinclair # RD77211 ???? This is called a 6mm PPC SBR.
For a 6PPC with a .262" neck.
Try using .258 bushing for .0088" thick necks. Or for .0081-2" necks .257" bushing.

Last edited:
It is for a benchrest rig. It is a stolle chamber on a hart barrel with a .262 neck. I looked at my brushing in my neck brushing die and it had a .261 brushing inside so i order a .259 one and we will see how that helps.

Are you saying that if I am using N133 as my powder then I need to use either a .256 or a .257?

What thickness did you turn the cases to? .0088" ? In those rounds that will hold a bullet, assuming that it's post-neck turn, what does the neck of the loaded round measure? What neck clearance are you shooting for? .001" each side?

You might hit the FAQ link on the www.benchrest.com home page and read the ones on neck turning.

One...stop using the PPC USA dies. Sell them and buy a redding PPC small base as listed above. Then, get a wilson seater for a PPC, not a PPC USA. Use a .257 or .256 bushing in the die. This will end your problems. I thought you had bought a Harrell die for your rifle back in april? Are you using that and then the redding seater?

Hovis

I have a Harrel's body die, but still use the redding ppc usa dies to push out used primers and seat bullets. Is the redding stock 77211 the set that I should be using? I have not had any problems before I made the necks thinner. I was going on the Jack Neary youtube video quote "Thin to win."

In a one-word answer, YES.

In a longer answer... The Redding 6MM PPC Small Base Type 'S' Full-Length Die (full description for stock # 77211) is a single die, not a set. It will make the grass greener, the sky bluer, your reloading simpler, and save you more time, money & aggravation than any other single tool in your toolbox. Try it, you'll like it.

Listen to Kent. He's kicked a lot of butt with that die....and....get dozens upon dozens of firings out of brass.

Also, get a different seating die. If you want good and cheap...wilson (uses a arbor press), if you want a extremely nice one...JLC seater. Most of the redding usa ppc competition seaters I have seen have to much body play for a real ppc.

Hovis

Small Base Dies GOOOD!

Ya gotta wonder why every full length die isn't made that way don't ya? I discovered their value last year when I got to Witt's End with my cases. I even bought one for my 30-284X1.665" . 2nd what Kent had to say.

Last edited:
Switched from .261 brushing to a .259 and problem is solved. Thanks for all the help

Back