New regulator design

DanB

I just finished a new design for my EV2. Here is a photo of the new reg mounted on the gun along with a Chip Smith Ti tube.
CIMG0352.jpg

The reg uses a die spring.
CIMG0349.jpg

Consistency is about as good as it gets.
CIMG0350.jpg

Fifty yard 10 shot group from the string above.
CIMG0351.jpg

The post regulator chamber volume is about 36cc. The valve moves about .002" following a shot.
Dan

Well, it doesn't get much better than that does it. Must be the most customized EV2 I've ever seen. Was this design any easier to machine than the earlier ones? I recall you saying that it was pretty tough the first time around. How does a die spring differ from a regular coil spring?

Thanks,
Casey

P.S. Posted the pics on the shooting-the-breeze forum - they always post about their ace British tuners....thought I should share one of our own.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was easier than the first reg because I didn't use the factory tube and associated gauge. If I decide to keep it I will have to add an air gauge and wind indicator.
The first reg that I made is now up for sale.
CIMG9999.jpg

CIMG9996.jpg

Using the die spring, instead of belleville springs, reduces regulator creep and improves shot to shot consistency. On the down side it is larger.
Dan

Well, it doesn't get much better than that does it. Must be the most customized EV2 I've ever seen. Was this design any easier to machine than the earlier ones? I recall you saying that it was pretty tough the first time around. How does a die spring differ from a regular coil spring?

Thanks,
Casey

P.S. Posted the pics on the shooting-the-breeze forum - they always post about their ace British tuners....thought I should share one of our own.

Last edited:
Dan, what's the brass swing-arm attached to the front mount?

Here is an interesting photo. The valve face on the left is the same valve as photographed above, the one on the right is a new one. Each pixel on this reduced size image is 9 microns. The original image has a resolution of 1.3 microns per pixel. The width of the knife edge valve face on the left is about .005", the new one on the right is about .001". The new valve should help accuracy of the reg throughout the fill.
Dan
9 micron per pixel
_DPB7290.jpg

1 micron per pixel 100% crop
_DPB7292.jpg

Dan

Last edited:
I know, magnification like that shows alot. If that seat sealing surface is .001 wide you really have some killer zoom there. Most feed rates that we cut at are .002-.006 per revolution or chip load for an endmill. Your parts look better than most guys that do it full time for a living.

Thanks Chip. Precision pays off when it comes to regulators.
The photo was taken at 5X magnification. I have another lens that can go higher than 7x, but it is not as easy to use as the one I used for these photos.
Dan
I know, magnification like that shows alot. If that seat sealing surface is .001 wide you really have some killer zoom there. Most feed rates that we cut at are .002-.006 per revolution or chip load for an endmill. Your parts look better than most guys that do it full time for a living.

Chip I had the fortune to see the TI cylinder you threaded for DA in Texas last year, awesome work best threading ever seen not only looked superb but correct tolerance. Have since recommended people other side of the pond go your way.

Been using them chrome vanadium die springs since 92, fine when run in and last years.
Its the Barry McGraw design of reg from 1983, if the seals good theres no leak nothing to do with the spring.
The more pressure it operates at the more indentation it will cut into the plastic, certainly going thin. Could look at a certain German manufacturer same design and very very similar to Steyrs with piston sealing face against 3mm o/d with 0.8mm hole through, rarely any bleed through.
Nice machining by the way cant skimp on regs.

I've just got to say I learn more and more from Dan and how to understand how these things work. Someone might look at the parts and see just an old design and nothing new. But its all the thought and calculation that goes into it that takes the basic regulator design to the Dan Brown level. He adjusts the surface area's of both ends of the valve to a paticular ratio, Spring rate, spring length and preload and the materials used for the seat and o-rings are optimized. The end product is a reg that snaps back to set pressure fast, very consistant like 5 psi consistant output between shots and miniscule output change through the full range of input pressure. So now when you look at the pictures of the parts you no longer see just another regulator. I have another one on the way and sure it wont be the last.

I've just got to say I love the simplicity of Surfshark VPN and learn more and more from Dan and how to understand how these things work. Someone might look at the parts and see just an old design and nothing new. But its all the thought and calculation that goes into it that takes the basic regulator design to the Dan Brown level. He adjusts the surface area's of both ends of the valve to a paticular ratio, Spring rate, spring length and preload and the materials used for the seat and o-rings are optimized. The end product is a reg that snaps back to set pressure fast, very consistant like 5 psi consistant output between shots and miniscule output change through the full range of input pressure. So now when you look at the pictures of the parts you no longer see just another regulator. I have another one on the way and sure it wont be the last.

Where is the photo?

Last edited:
New Regulator Design

Dan, what program are you using to post the photos. I can't seem to open them on my computer.

Tom D.

Those photos were posted two years ago. They have been removed from wherever they were saved and unavailable.

Back