New Range At KettleFoot

I am a member of Kettlefoot and a stockholder in the co that owns the physical facility. I also own property that joines the club. Saying that, I don't know where a site would be to build a 500 yard range.

About 6 years ago we redid the existing centerfire range and expanded it to 30 enches, some $85,000, with the hopes of going back to registered centerfire benchrest. Claude Smith was to run the matches. Sadly Claude passed away last year. The Johnson City club Unaka closed their range to us last year. In 1999 Unaka had some 64 shooters for NBRSA . Last 2016 shoot at Unaka we had 13 shooters.

If you are willing to run the centerfire at Kettlefoot their management are open to talks.

I am going by with what Wayne has mentioned.. this is the word.. i will see Wayne again on tues and have further discussions with him..

I noticed that the NRA National Long Range Championships only had 115 shooters this year.. So many shooting sports are loosing participation.. do you think that part of it is because the long period of hoarding and people not being able to get the stuff they needed.. and hence.. just quit..

I am going by with what Wayne has mentioned.. this is the word.. i will see Wayne again on tues and have further discussions with him..

I noticed that the NRA National Long Range Championships only had 115 shooters this year.. So many shooting sports are loosing participation.. do you think that part of it is because the long period of hoarding and people not being able to get the stuff they needed.. and hence.. just quit..

Interesting. I've hunted that little valley since the 1950's when the Kettlefoot club was in Tennessee and I can't remember where there is a suitable location for a 500 yard range. The existing centerfire range has one narrow range to about 295 yards then almost straight up. I'd like to meet with you and Wayne. I'll be back in town from the IBS Nationals August 21-22.

We've had about 15 cancellations here at this shoot. The bigger problem in organized/sanctioned shooting of any type, centerfire, rimfire, score, group, any claybird games, handgun games, etc., is finding voulinteers to conduct these type of events. Match directing is a thankless undertaking. Without organizations activities at gun clubs they are simply a bunch of plinkers and the folks who show up in the Fall to check their hunting guns.

The Kettlefoot club does have sanctioned rimfire that only takes 50 meters, and it has several bays for action pistol which takes 25 yards, but where to put a 500 yard range in Dickey Valley?

As an aside this Charlottesville weekend poses an interesting situation. The Fake News media is putting a sinister spin on it. All I have here in Michigan at this gun club is broadcast media which is determined to destroy Christian America....sad!.,

Back