New Marlin 1894C issues?

G

Gary O

I just bought a new Marlin 1894C in .357 magnum. I realize that I need to shoot the gun some before it will begin to smooth out. However, this rifle is not only very well finished with sweet wood; it is the roughest, grittiest lever action I have ever handled. Is there something I can do to speed up the "break-in" process? What say you? Thanks...

If you have instructions.......................

go inside (once you've shot it a bit) and look for burrs, areas where some 800 grit could be sparingly used to touch a polish up on some parts.

The reason for shooting it a bit, (5-600 rounds while developing a load, [158s will work best for game]) is so the areas that could stand some attention will be readily visible when you get in there. Also, nothing shows those areas better than shooting since it stresses those parts better than just working them while you're watching, "The Western Channel".

Remember a few things, and all will go well:

Shoot it, don't talk about it and lament how rough it is, SHOOT IT.
Then, when you start to touch it up (TOUCH being the operative word here),
go lightly, polish gently.

Most Important: Know......when to stop.

Follow these, you can't go wrong...;)

Last edited:
Gary -

Howdy -

You might wanna go to " castboolits " ( NOT castboolits.com ) and post the same questions.

They also will re-direct you in all likelyhood, to a dedicated Marlin lever gun cite.

Regards,
357Mag

Back