New Lee priming tool, approved for all brands of primers

Boyd Allen

In the past, in discussions of priming tools, there have been those who posted that they use Lee Auto Prime tools with brands of primers that did not pass the manufacturer's safety test. Others, including myself, have posted that this was not a good idea, and at least one has posted that he had one blow up doing that very thing.

The reason for this thread is to let everyone know that lee has a new tool that they say is safe for use with all brands of primers. Here is a link.
http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/browse.cgi?1287590172.280=/html/catalog/primtool.html
I have no connection with Lee. I just thought that some of you might be interested.

Nice to see someone finally found enough common sense to create a tray that would hold 100 primers without having to worry about spilling them everywhere.

Hard to belief they only approve Winchester and CCI in the old unit. Wonder why Federal or Remington doesn't make the cut.

Hard to belief they only approve Winchester and CCI in the old unit. Wonder why Federal or Remington doesn't make the cut.

If you would read Boyd's post, you'll see why. There were some cases where a primer detonated, and in turn, set off all (most?) of the primers in the tray. Lee tested, and found only those two brands where secondary detonation was not a potential problem. This remains a concern with the older units.

If you would read Boyd's post, you'll see why. There were some cases where a primer detonated, and in turn, set off all (most?) of the primers in the tray. Lee tested, and found only those two brands where secondary detonation was not a potential problem. This remains a concern with the older units.

I read Boyd's post. Several times in fact. I too can parrot what was written on the site:

The Auto-Prime had just one limitation; only certain brands of primers can be used because some brands could chain fire if used improperly.

In fact it specifically mentions if used improperly. So to go back to my original question. I wonder what about Remington and Federal primers would make them more a detonation risk where Winchester and CCI are not. Just wondering if there is something in their physical or chemical makeup or design that does so.

I love the design, but boys, why don't they make it out of durable material? They could sell a train car full if the thing would just stand up.

Stand up? they make these things to.......................

SELL not STAND UP. What fun is that? No munny-No funny.:D "Well, if we made it to last for 15 years instead of five, then the average handloader wouldn't be in the market for the new, improved model poised to be off the drawing board in six years. We DON'T want anyone to miss the new opportunities."

One reason why the Remington primers were unable to be used, may be seen at German Salazar's site where he presented photographs of the 91/2 and 71/2 primers being fired. They certainly are impressive primers. Take a look, that article is very informative, and German made an excellent presentation.

... back to my original question. I wonder what about Remington and Federal primers would make them more a detonation risk where Winchester and CCI are not. Just wondering if there is something in their physical or chemical makeup or design that does so.

Sensitivity... and Federals were the most sensitive.

I love the design, but boys, why don't they make it out of durable material? They could sell a train car full if the thing would just stand up.

Now where did you get that idea? Have you actually worn one out. I doubt it. In fact Lee states that occasionally disassemble the unit and put a dab of grease on the pivot points. I have a Lee, a Hornady and the two than came on my Lee Classic Cast press and my RCBS press. I prefer the Old Lee. Best feel of all. I did happen to notice at the Rattlesnake at Raton last yeat the Walt Berger was using and old Lee. I would not use one of those single load models if someone gave me one. I just don't see the point of it.

Donald

Back