new hermes

rputzbach

Found a new hermes tx floor model with lots of brass fonts. Its drag style with no motor or spindle. Is this good for barrels? Please give me a call if you can give me some advise on this.

thank you
Bob Putzbach
716-983-4778

Bob,

I have that exact same model, only mine has a motor (that I never use). With a set of v-block type jaws on the vise, it works great for barrels.

Justin

motor

I picked up the new hermes tx today. would be interested in the motor please call me @ 716-983-4778. The styles that came with it is a diamond tip. Does that work on ss barrels?

I use the motor

I tried to use the diamond and just could never get the results I wanted, so I learned to use the motorized spindle with a (Quarter Round ) carbide cutter and it does just exactly what I want it to do. I usually cut the letters between .003 and .010 deep and have no trouble with the round letters or numbers, the only problem that I have had is that sometimes I do get a small burr raised on the edges of the letters but is no problem to burnish off with a final polish. I do have to resharpen the point about every 8 to 10 barrels but I do that by hand on a diamond wheel I have for sharpening my carbide lathe tools.
These tools can be purchased from (Graveograph) but do cost about $45.00 each check there catalog online on page 99 for 1/8" or 104 fir 1/4" but the image on page 99 is not the right image of a quarter round tool as they have it mistaken for the parallel tool, these are made especially for stainless steels or other hard materials and do work unlike the half ground tools.

I have a rather complete TX and use it for several things. Caliber being the most used. The biggest problem was finding decent font. Ebay font is sometimes well used.

I can only get the depth and width we need with the motorized cutters. No trouble at all going over curved barrels. A diamond scratched engraving will disappear in the aluminum oxide blast prep for Cerakote.

That's how this one was done. On a rifle destined for Alaska or other wet environment it is crucial that everything is coated or the stainless barrel will start rusting right in the letters. With a diamond you just can't get very bold.

nzsq.jpg
s9q1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Np "point." I had been unaware of how innovative Hermes was in the typewriter industry until Googling "Hermes" because of this post, and stupidly thought others might be interested. Will resist such urges in the future.

Charles,
A friend of mine was with Hermes for close to 40yrs. I bought a lot of parts and one machine from him. I helped him find and deliver a machine to Sir Charles Huckaba and one for TK Nollan. Carl also furnished fonts and other parts to a lot of my gunsmith friends.
He does have 2 Hermes typewriter. Your post was interesting.

Back