New Ezell "PDT" Tuners!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwezell

Mike Ezell
I've mentioned to several people on here that I'd announce any changes I make to my tuner design. I hope you'll all allow me to make this one announcement. I'd like to get word out to as many people as possible, here...where we Benchrest shooters reside.

When I started making tuners, the few that were commercially available, were mostly .900x32TPI, and making weight with a 10-1/2lb gun, was the exception, rather than the rule while using a tuner.

After years of using and testing different tuners, I felt there was more to be had from a tuner... and that this crowd would need proof from someone that actually DID the testing that proved them to be competitive before many would be willing to accept that they ACTUALLY DO WORK. You can't BS this crowd..so don't even try it! So, I decided to do my best at making what I think is a very good tuner design. I spent the time testing, both in a lab with an accelerometer and on the range, to do my best to bring good data regarding tuners to anyone that has wanted it.

Well...I feel certain in saying that we are beyond the "theory" stage with tuners. They have wins and records at all levels under their belt, including Bart's new 600 yard records with one. Long range, to me, was the last frontier for them to prove themselves. I've seen them on everything from air rifles to big boomers at all ranges, but Bart's records validate their use in long range, too.

I feel like there was one area that needed to be addressed with my tuners. That was just being able to use one in short range LV without physical size and weight problems. Weight has always been adjustable with my tuners but they physically needed a larger barrel than some LV barrels had to offer....you had to build around its dimensions at times.

That said, I made a change to the size of the tuner threads and overall size needed to use them. The old design is .900x32tpi, then .950@1.000 behind the muzzle.

The new one is threaded .875x32tpi and needs .900@1.000 behind the threads and is weight adjustable from a tad over 4ozs to 7oz.

After doing the testing, I'm convinced that there is a measurably significant benefit to having more than 4oz at the muzzle with most tuner designs, but there is still much to be gained at 4ozs. Testing proves to me that more weight an/or dampening is good, to a large degree, if you can stand it. From testing and without going into details, I decided that 7ozs was a "safe" compromise with most any barrel contour and stiffness.

That's it! I just wanted to let people know that the new LV tuner is available and that they still work very much like the old tuners. I'm always happy to talk tuners. I love it, really! I feel very strongly that it's only a matter of a few years until tuners are a standard part of any serious BR build. We're getting close, NOW!

Wilbur, if you have to take this down, I'll understand but I hope you'll let me use this as a way to get the word out. There's a lot of talk about tuners. I think rightfully so.

I hope the rest of you are shooting a match today!

Thanks!!!__Mike

Last edited:
Ezell tuner

Mike, congrats with regard to the .875-32TPI type tuner. However, the other spec required
for the tuner is the .900@1.00 inch behind the thread. Most LV center fire rifles have a taper
and the approximate dimension behind the thread would be .970. Therefore, additional
machining would be required for this tuner to fit LV CF rifles. I am sure this would be very
good fit for a rim fire type barrel.

tunermi

Mike, congrats with regard to the .875-32TPI type tuner. However, the other spec required
for the tuner is the .900@1.00 inch behind the thread. Most LV center fire rifles have a taper
and the approximate dimension behind the thread would be .970. Therefore, additional
machining would be required for this tuner to fit LV CF rifles. I am sure this would be very
good fit for a rim fire type barrel.

tunermi

Hi Mel,
I'm sorry I didn't get back to you over the weekend. I'm still returning calls and emails in between assembling tuners.

The point of doing the smaller thread is to fit more barrels...specifically, more LV barrels. About the only two things shooters have asked for, is a .875 tuner and a tuner that weighs less for making weight in LV. The tuner is already weight adjustable, to address that.

I do try to listen to what people want and I greatly appreciate your feedback. I have no immediate plans to discontinue the .900-32 tuner, which uses a .950 journal behind the threads, where the new one only needs .900 at the same location@1.000 behind the muzzle. To be clear, the new tuner is threaded .875-32 for an inch and then needs a .900x.500 journal machined behind the threads. Very simple operation while the barrel is in the lathe.

For barrels of the dimensions you mentioned, the old style should work on most of them. With the swap of an o-ring, it will work with barrels from about .925-.960 od @ 1.000 behind the muzzle.

At times, the journal doesn't even need to be machined onto the barrel, as the od falls within the range that one o-ring or the other can compensate for well. That said, the fit here should be firm. In most cases, the barrel will need a very minor bit of work beyond threading it.

Also, with tolerances between different tuner makes and such a fine thread and fit, I can not guarantee it will screw right on to any and all .875-32 threaded barrels..but I'm working on a relatively easy fix. Ultimately, the best way is to have the tuner in hand and thread the barrel to fit when installing. I can't control every makers precise dimensions. I really don't expect this to be a big issue but I'm doing what I can to address it as well as it can be. I'm not about to talk bad about any other make of tuner but if the gunsmith threads the barrel to fit a tuner that is threaded exactly the same as mine..but before a slot is cut for clamping purposes, it's very likely that the tuner opens just a tad when the slot is cut, making for a slightly larger thread being cut on the barrel to fit said tuner. I simply don't know what can be done to make different makes of tuners completly, 100% interchangeable with no gunsmith work at all. If I make them bigger, then I have sloppy threads on a barrel that someone actually cuts to size with wires and/or thread mics. Kinda damned if I do and damned if I don't. I hope that answers your questions. ---Mike

Ezell pdt tuner

Mike, thanks for your response with regard to the tuner specification. I normally
give the tuner to the smith so he can cut the thread and fit it properly. Your tuner will require
minor modifications to the barrel as the smith is cutting threads 1.25 inches long. He will have
to turn the barrel for another .25 or so inches at .900 in order to make it fit. I am looking
forward to using your new tuner.

Thanks,

Mel

Super Shoot

I just spoke with Bart and he plans to have the new tuners with him at the Super Shoot...if I can get then done in time. I should be able to have them to him before he leaves.--Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back