New Discussion.....So lets hear your BR related plans for 08.

Thanks for the offer Douglas, but I can shoot in my back yard, and the gun club is just a couple miles down the road. I have places to shoot, just no where that has BR competition. I'm the president of the gun club and I'm pushing to get new benches this summer. We have 5 benches right now but they are all different heights and they are in very poor repair.

Same here I'm trying to get our club interested but on my limited time
it is very hard. Although every year there are more rimfires coming
out on a regular basis. I'll keep workin on it and if you get yours up and
runnin I can make the drive to Shawano.
;)

Well I'd planned to just coast this year but with now running the matches here in Jeff City at the United Sportsmen's Club and after tuning Charlie Peters guns. By the way, both of them are shooting like a house afire. I'd better get my act together so if anyone has really good ammo they'd like to part with please let me know.
But don't tell Charlie he has enough good ammo already.
Joe

bored184-new barrel on a Kimber 82G?? Is it one of those CMP used rifles. The new ones certainly arent ready for a new tube. If you ever find a replacement trigger please post that as many will be interested.

I accquired a Suhl very late last year and have a Fudd top coming for my Cowan rest. Ammo??

my plans in OZ

Started last year with a Sako Finnfire and P.O.S scope.

Lets see:
got my windflags now
got a weaver T36

Awaiting on a Lilja barrel and Stith stock from the states and trying to save up for a Kurt Westfall trigger. Ordered a Cowan rest and am on the April list. Cant wait !!

I've just started testing ammo but the only decent stuff I can get is Eley Match EPS off the No 3 machine @1053fps. Want to try some other EPS and maybe some Lapua but its a 10hr drive to get to a big enough gun store to buy some

2008 goals
1. wait for my stuff from the states
2. learn my flags
3. test as much ammo as I can get my hands on
4. enjoy,enjoy and enjoy it.

cheers
chappo555

My plans are simple. Take my Hongisto, Hall/Broughton to Italy for the World Championships and try and kick some butt.:D:D

Here in Michigan's Upper Peninsula . . .

This year we are going to try to get more new shooters out to our monthly matches. Last year I talked our club officers into buying some CZ rifles for sale at our annual Gun Show in April. Sold 8 or them and of those 8, we got 7 new shooters to come out for out rimfire BR matches. Three of those new Factory Sporter shooters later bought a couple of my spare Suhls and a tricked out Sako.

This April, we are planning the same "trick", with some more stuff: Like some new CZs, some used Unlimited Class rifles I have, sitting in the back of one of my gun safes, and a selection of new & used rests: Caldwell, Fudd & Cowan.

Our club officers are giving us plenty of support. By getting our match attendance up, we have been able put more money into the club and into range improvements.

Another idea I have been pushing for a couple of years, is going to happen this season. We have been sponsoring our High Schools Junior Rifle Team for the past 40 years. It is the only High School .22 rimfire rifle team left in the State of Michigan. Those target rifles are very seldom used in the summer months. ONCE, the kids got to go to Camp Perry.

This year the club is going to buy some Weaver T-36 scopes with money we got from our Friends of NRA Dinners. We plan to have some Junior Shooters and their PARENTS, shooting with us in our rimfire benchrest matches this year.

What is your club doing to promote our game?

Mr. Frosty :)

Holbrook Sportsmens Club

This winter I have made 6 new cement top moveable benches as our wooden benches were a little shakey for some shooters. We also run indoor 25 yard matches and try to get them hooked to shoot outdoors. I have also made some indoor bench rest tables wit wooden tops that fit between 30 inch shooting stations. I will try to post a picture.

Attachments

• 02-19-08_1339.jpg
    02-19-08_1339.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 197
  • 10-10-07_1158.jpg
    10-10-07_1158.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 192
Paul, would you mind providing more detail how the caster/jack system works on your cement benches? Thanks, Douglas

Douglas,
At our club I could not make permanent benches. I found plans on this forum that used three trailer tongue jacks but at $29.00 each. I welded two 4inch solid casters just off the bottom (1/8")of the front two legs. ($6.00) The legs are made from 4X4 1/8 steel tube. Bottom braces are 2X3 1/8 steel tube. I weld 1 1/2 angle iron at the top to bolt the cement top to. I pour the top at home and use my engine lift to deliver it to the range. It weighs about 500 lbs together. With the trailer jack on the back leg jacked up the weight is off the legs and you can move the table around. Our covered firing line is 150 feet long with 200 yard on one end and 50 and 100 yard on the other end. It takes 10 min. to move the 5 benches any place on the line. I am making some more outdoor benches and will have 7 benches for our april shoot.
On the indoor benches I just use the casters on the front legs. Pick up the back leg and move the table to the shooting position. With the wood top and legs out of 3/16" steel it weighs 150 lbs.
If you want pictures of it jacked up let me know. Total cost $125.00 outdoor $80.00 indoor bench Labor free
Paul Bendix

Last edited by a moderator:
Paul, our club has a few "portable" concrete benches almost identical to yours, but we have to muscle them around. I'm more interested in the actual design of your caster system; if I understand correctly, the front caster wheels welded 1/8" up from touching and when you jack up the rear cause the front wheels to contact enough for them to roll? Have you thought of something so you'd only have to have one slave jack you could use one bench at a time? Pics would be great, thanks Douglas

Paul,
Once again --- Great Job! and thanks for the time and effort you've put into making the new benches for Holbrook. They will be a joy to shoot from, but now I can't whine about my poor targets with the excuse that the "bench was wobbling!!"

Best,
Michael

Douglas,
I will take some pictures Mon or Tue. That is right with the casters just off the ground when you lift the back leg 1/2 inch all three legs are off the ground. If you needed to move the bench off the firing line straight back thats all you have to jack it. In my case I have to move them 150 feet to our 200 yard range. I have to jack the rear leg 4 inches up so the trailer jack wheel has clearance under the rear leg. A 12 year old kid can move them around tables chairs etc.
I did toy with using a scissors jack or Hydraulic jack with an movable caster that would hook into the rear leg. But went with a trailer jack that was on sale for $19.00 but most of the time have to pay $29.00. I chose to weld the casters but you could bolt them also, I take the swivel plate off the trailer jack and weld it. If I used the U mounted brackets they would find a home on a boat trailer.

Mike,
Thanks for the good word. Any news on your new barrel or the new gun? I have only shot BAD BRAD one time. Need some more range time to get use to the TURBO. See you at the range soon.

Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
Douglas,
Took some pictures but am not sure how to PM you so will post them.
Paul

Attachments

• 02-25-08_1148.jpg
    02-25-08_1148.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 199
  • 02-25-08_1149.jpg
    02-25-08_1149.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 210
  • 02-25-08_1150.jpg
    02-25-08_1150.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 186
  • 02-25-08_1151.jpg
    02-25-08_1151.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 172
  • 02-25-08_1153.jpg
    02-25-08_1153.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 199
Shoot as many ARA 2500's as I can

That's the "Plan" LOL. If that doesn't happen then I'm just going to have a good time shooting with a great bunch of friends. :)

Paul, this is great, thanks so much; our benches are exactly like yours and man they are a bear to move around. I already put our rifle/pistol chairman on board and we're going to do it. One or two more pics if it ain't too much trouble, how is the jack attached? Did you make a bracket or what? Thanks, Douglas

Since I live in Montana where not ANY BR shooting goes on and you can drive all day and still be in Montana I will set up a couple hay bales and shoot at the thousands of ground squirrels and praire dogs that surround our ranches. Best thing about that is the neighbors will buy your ammo if you come shoot theirs also. I know it aint shootin targets but about the next best thing. Redneck Br shooting. Anyone ever around these parts and want to shoot till their eyes get tired come on down.

Movable Benches

Douglas,
Are your Bench legs steel? If so the casters can be mounted with bolt and nuts or drill and tap the 4 mounting holes and bolt them on. I buy 4" solid casters from W T Tool or Northern Tool $6.00 each. Don't use 3" casters or you will have to cut the mounting plate some so the wheel can be close to the ground. The 4" wheel is below the mounting plate.
The Trailer Jack comes with mounting hardware and a swivel plate and pin. I take the snap ring off and remove the swivel and just weld the jack so the wheel is almost to the ground. If you use the mounting hardware that comes with it, You can bolt it to the leg with the U bolts that come with it. Remove 4 nuts and move it to the next bench. I have used both 700 lb 800 lb and 1000 lb jacks. The cheapest $19.00 on sale to $29.00.
Paul

Paul,

Yes our benches are exactly like yours, 4" tube steel legs. We'll be welding the casters on also, pretty hard to drill a bunch of holes by hand. I think we're gonna try to come up with an idea to use a slave/master jack that's easy to switch from bench to bench and still be very secure. Maybe make a bracket somehow to weld to each bench and just a matter of a few nuts and we're in business. Man we should have done this years ago.

Thanks, Douglas

Back