New Brass

Jayhawker

Today I started using some new .308 brass with all the specifications I have been using with the old brass. Same load, same bullet and powder, etc. My question: Does new brass need to be "broken in" i.e. shot a few times to gain the maximum accuracy from it?

New brass uses some of the energy of that first shot to expand the case to fill the chamber. This will basically result in the bullet velocity being lower than the next time you load the case with the same recipe.

You can find a load that works well with the new brass. But then you will have to tune the load to work with pre-fired brass.

New brass uses some of the energy of that first shot to expand the case to fill the chamber. This will basically result in the bullet velocity being lower than the next time you load the case with the same recipe.

You can find a load that works well with the new brass. But then you will have to tune the load to work with pre-fired brass.

My experience with a .308. It won't matter. And you would not know the difference, if it did.......
It's the type of shooting and the game.
.02 gn of powder won't matter. The wind will git you every time....

Back