Neil jones Decapping Tool

I have seen quit a few of these tools being used at matches for decaping the primers from the cases. What is the advantege of using this tool over just using my FL die to deprime my Primer?

There are times when you don't want the spent primer seated when you are taking measurements. Also when fire forming I don't resize until I've fired the case at least three times. It's a very handy tool. I'm sure there are other uses that I haven't covered and more knowledgeable shooters will chime in.

As mentioned, they're nice when you need to set your FL sizer for shoulder position. Obviously the starting point is an unsized case and I prefer no primer (if a tad high it'll throw off your measurement)

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

On the measuring angle, I was able to eliminate a couple of things (punch and base) from my range loading kit, when, after years of depriming before measuring fired cases, it occurred to me that I could simply mash the fired primer down into the pocket with my hand priming tool. On the Jones tool, about the only advantage that I can see is that if you finish your group early, don't want to leave your bench early because it might distract someone, you can sit there and work on your fired cases, depriming and cleaning pockets, assuming that you bring the tools with you to the line.

I too have one and would'nt part with it. At last years SS, an expensive redesign of it was brought from Italy which I had a chance to observe. ( So did Neil) It took 40 years for someone else to come up with another model , (and of course, taken after Neils idea) Every now and then it comes in very handy, and the price is right...

I do like the idea of being able to deprime the case to ck shoulder without having to run it through the die first, I have a die that dont touch the shoulder or case wall for doing this,this tool just might make it easyer. I have to admite that this Neil jones tool is one butt ugly looking tool. Joe can you let me know who els is making a tool like that,and where i can look at one? Gabe

Last edited:
Neil Jones Decapping Tool

I remember a veteran Benchrest shooter telling me that the Neil Jones Decapping tool was commonly used,in earlier years, by some BR shooters to deprime fired brass that had been neck turned to closely fit the chamber neck. The use of a sizing Die was not required prior to priming the Brass. This technique was called "Fitted Brass"

Been a while ago,but I believe that's what I was told.

Glenn

I do like the idea of being able to deprime the case to ck shoulder without having to run it through the die first, I have a die that dont touch the shoulder or case wall for doing this,this tool just might make it easyer. I have to admite that this Neil jones tool is one butt ugly looking tool. Joe can you let me know who els is making a tool like that,and where i can look at one? Gabe

The one I saw at the SS was brought there by an Italian shooter by tyhe name of Alberto Lenzi. I don't know who in fact made it over there. If need be, I could get his email address to you., but you should know it will be EXPENSIVE.
You may want to buy Neils...

So doesn't anyone have a pic? I think the one I saw years ago looked fairly simple, shouldn't be hard to make one.

This is off-topic but I've used mine for varmint hunting with fitted necks in both the PPC and the BR. Out here in the Left the Richardson's Ground Squirrel or sagerat is the quarry..... Methodology is to use the 3250fps node for 6MM or the 3420 node for 22 and at that velocity one can load and shoot 20pcs of brass for an entire weekend, dozens of reloads without doing ANYTHING to the case. I've also used 45gr NBT's in the 6MM's to reach up to around 3600fps and the brass life was still fine, just load and shoot. Mostly seating bullets with fingers but may need a Wilson seater for newer cases.

This isn't a long-range setup but for introducing newbies it's a certain brand of fun to set in one place, in the shade, loading and shooting and even switching barrels out by hand with a setup that's like cheating out to 400yds. Hard to miss something the size of a Richardson's Ground Squirrel with a PPC!

The reason it's better than just pulling the stem from a Wilson die is that when you drop the Jones in the grass you can find it again :)

Back