Neet use for discarded primer trays

G

Gina1

I've done my share of reloading and I usally wind up with a number if empty primer trays. Throwing them out seemed kind of wasteful. As I was weight sorting a bunch of .22 caliber 50g varmint bullets, I noticed that they would fit perfectly in the primer trays.
As you can see from the attached pictures, I numbered the rows on the trays, in order of .1 grains. 50.0 grains being "0"
Further after sorting, placing an empty tray on top of the sorted bullets, secured with a rubber band, keeps all the bullets in place. For large amounts of bullets just use one tray for each weight deviation.

Attachments

• closed tray..jpg
    closed tray..jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 774
  • primer tray7.jpg
    primer tray7.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 757
Great idea but why weight varmint bullets?

Why not... accurarcy is dependent on repeatiblity. I've gotten in some bullets .5-.7 grains difference. Why not reload to the best your capable of. When I fire a round "I know it's right" whether it's in competition or going after varmints.

Last edited by a moderator:
Steve Good for you someone else that Knows 1 or 2 Grains doesn't mean diddle squat with 50,000 to 60,000 pound press. Even at 1000 yards! I've done the test.

Joe Salt

OK boys.... each to their own. That's why there are SO many gun cleaning products on the market. What ever works for you in reloading and competion.

Gina

Now then guys. Punched out shot shell primers-fill your 25# shot bags with them. Makes great light weight rest bags for packing across the fields.

OK boys.... each to their own. That's why there are SO many gun cleaning products on the market. What ever works for you in reloading and competion.

Gina
unfortunately what is necessary in the market , and what sells in the market are 2 entirely different things, you can test to your sorting methods very easily by sorting them out then taking the lightest ones group of 5 and the heaviest ones group of 5 and compare or just take a combination of the 2 and mix them together and shoot a group and see results , you may find out that you'll have better use of your time elsewhere ,and by no means am trying to tell you what is right and what is wrong just try it out for yourself to conclude your own results .

Gina1, as I said if you think it helps by all means do it. This stuff is by and large mental so if you believe it helps it will. No offense intended, I'm just saying if you try it on paper you may change your mind. Good shooting!

Gina1, as I said if you think it helps by all means do it. This stuff is by and large mental so if you believe it helps it will. No offense intended, I'm just saying if you try it on paper you may change your mind. Good shooting!

OK... good deal. Will load up heavest to lightest. Same fire formed cases, neck sized, same powder load, same primer, same seating depth, will even clean the gun between groups. I'll get back to you a about a week with the results at 100 yards.

Gina

Make sure you don't know which is which when testing. Make two test lots. One with "perfect" loads and one of the test batch. Have someone else pick the lots so you don't know what you're shooting until after the fact.

Make sure you don't know which is which when testing. Make two test lots. One with "perfect" loads and one of the test batch. Have someone else pick the lots so you don't know what you're shooting until after the fact.

I was planing on it. Will post the results after shooting. I want this to be a "true" blind test

Gina

Rain, rain, and more rain. ( Pacific NW) I have not forgotten nor am I ducking the "test" We have only had one day rain free in the last week and a half. Once we get some good weather will give it a shot (pun intended) Temps into the lower 40's... Remind me June is only one day away.

Gina we have only had 1 rain over an inch here and only one under since January... SEND IT DOWN HERE AND QUIT COMPLAINING.... HEHEHEHEHEHH

Have not forgotten

Hi Guys

I have not forgotten about our little experiment. The rounds are loaded (exactly the same) The targets are printed. Was going to get to it this week, but had a little farm accident and am laid up for about a week, no walking. Hopefully I'll try to "ger-done"
next Wed.

Gina

Little accident

Thank you for asking.

They say farming is one one the most dangerous occupations there is. For sure. With all the rain we had in the Pacific NW, the grass is REALY high. Was weed whacking and didn't see a board with nails up right untill I stepped on it. Went through my boot and through my foot. The boots I was wearing are "muck" boots for when your around the animals. Well all that fecial stuff got jammed into my foot and with no way to clean it, got a massive infection. Never seen anything spread so fast. Anyway, anti-biotics are clearing up the infection, and the punctures are healing.

Should be at the range this Wed for full bore practice, so will go in a little early to check out if .5 g's will make a difference.

Gina

Why not... accurarcy is dependent on repeatiblity. I've gotten in some bullets .5-.7 grains difference. Why not reload to the best your capable of. When I fire a round "I know it's right" whether it's in competition or going after varmints.

I couldn't agree with you more on this, I don't weight sort as much as base to ogive measurement anymore but it's never a bad idea to make everything consistent, and never think for a minute that everything at 1000 yards matters including bullet weight. most people don't use a centerfire for 100 yard ground hog work anymore so I wouldn't test your loads at those short distances go to three or four hundred yards that will let you know if there is a advantage to your method or not, also one 5 shot group of each wouldn't be a fair test either I would load at least 25 of each, I think you will find your method of carefully constructing your loads will out shoot the ones you just slam together.
Wayne.

P.S nice idea for the discarded primer trays

Last edited by a moderator:
Back