Need some advice on gun safe

F

freshguy

Hi, write a post on a topic about a gun safe. So I think to ask for some advice about gun safes. What is a most important part of the gun safe? What you like and dislike about it? Which model do you have? What new owners need to know before buying one? and etc

Hi, write a post on a topic about a gun safe. So I think to ask for some advice about gun safes. What is a most important part of the gun safe? What you like and dislike about it? Which model do you have? What new owners need to know before buying one? and etc

I'll keep it short and sweet. There are sheet-metal lock boxes, and those are good only for keeping your young children out. Then there are the safes that most of us have from Liberty, Fort Knox, etc. They vary in finish, and the "feel", and (most importantly!) size. They do not vary meaningfully in security. Every safe sales guy will tell you differently, but they're all the same. Compare the actual ratings, not the manufacturer's list of features that will keep Sean Connery from cracking your safe with some high-tech gizmo (as if that's what you had to worry about).

GsT

takes about 2 minutes with a battery powered right angle grinder to defeat most safes sold for guns. Has nothing to do with front door, simply cut open a side or back.

Freshguy,

There is a saying in the RV world, "Buy your second motorhome first", meaning buy the big one with the Full Pimp Package, because that is what you're going to eventually buy anyways. To me, this advice is apropos for gun safes as well.

Figger' out what size you need, and buy the next size or two up. Likely gonna add to your gun collection in the future, and you'll find all manner of sh!t to lock-up in the safe, such as jewelry, legal paperwork, cash, optics, etc. Plus, just because a safe touts "24 Long Gun Capacity" doesn't mean you're gonna get 24 long guns in it...especially if you have bench and live varmint rigs with big scopes, target turrets, etc. And buy a nice, pimped-out version...nice paint and hardware...it stands a far better chance of passing spousal muster and ending up in the house where it belongs (checking with said spouse about such things prior to purchase is probably a better idea).

I have two pimp, antique looking versions in the house and they look quite nice, and aren't distracting to the rest of the interior décor. They blend in well with our antique furniture. Maintaining strong Feng Shui within the casa is important to ensuring domestic bliss...

Note I said "two". The first one I bought eventually wasn't big enough...

FWIW,
Justin

Size Matters

What ever size you by, you will always find a gun in the corner, under the bed, in the closest and under your pillow.

takes about 2 minutes with a battery powered right angle grinder to defeat most safes sold for guns. Has nothing to do with front door, simply cut open a side or back.

Takes about the same time with a heavy duty Dolly with pneumatic tires.

Glenn

Zanatti Armour

Mark builds take down safes, easy to move. Custom builds. And he is a shooter. Do a search.

Dave

Try that on my American Security. BTW you have 30 seconds to defeat my security system.

I bought mine in a store that sells only Safes. American Security. Fire Proof or resistant, time it would take a lock smith to break into it and overall security. also how many guns and other valuables are you intending to store. Mine has 8 rifles , 10 pistols, magazines ,actions, bolts, scopes, some Ammo ,and other valuables. BUY BIGGER than your needs at this time

Last edited:
Look at your needs first.

1) Keeping firearms away from small children...buy a safe.

2)No small children and you have guns for home defense...don't buy a safe, just keep everything covered with NRA Armscare insurance,

Keeping guns safe from burghers? If they break in and find a big gun safe locked they will simply burn your house down..

Old man advice

My stepdad told me when I was little, Ä lock is to keep a man honest not to stop a thief".
Rather sound advice, a dedicated thief will find a way to get in.

If you put it in the basement, I suggest you put it on blocks to keep it off the colder, floor and to prevent moisture from harming the bottom. It also allows you to run a 115 volt cord under the safe, and through the hole in the bottom to place a heater in the safe.

Bought a Sportman's Steel back in the 70's. Body 1/4 plate door 3/8 and no need to bolt it down takes more than four to move it. Also takes more than a cordless drill and a sawzall to cut through it and just reach in and take everything out. Combination lock a top of the line Greenleaf and one can drill to his hearts desire and still not get in. Nothing pretty to look at either and it just sits in the garage and if they can haul it off they can have it and everything inside and God Bless them for trying without being seen or being shot in the process. It has pre-drilled holes in the bottom for concrete anchors but I have never felt the need to utilize them and the inside shelves and floor are nicely carpeted. Also not fire proof but all it takes is some fire rated sheet rock. It's also not a fire that destroys everything inside it's the smoke if you can keep it out. A close friend had a fire proof safe and it was not the fire but the smoke that caused him to loose all of his firearms and scopes inside. And he took them out just as soon as as the fire department allowed him access and already to late to save anything inside. All rusted and pitted beyond ones imagination.

JLouis

Last edited:
Back