Need load

D

dantiff2

Looking for load info on a 30-06 pushing 168 smk

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking for load info on a 30-06 pushing 168 smk

buy a reloading book, or call sierra tech line.

i supose it could be a hunter br, but doubt it( i have shot a 7mm rem in hunter), but this board has kinda gotten away from giving out load data.
lots of published data available online by powder companies.

mike in co

Oops the 49th edition is out now and it is $19.99 still some of the best money you will ever spend for general reloading.

Dick

Loaddata.com

Load data on line all of the books plus alot of other information, for just about any caliber worth the price

well you guys aint no help. I was just curious what some of the br guys are loading in there hunting guns. But :(

30-06 loads

Without knowing the rfirearm, it's throat length, and magazine length (if it has one) the load would likely not be close to optimal or might not fit at all. The ammo for some semi-autos (like the M1 Garand) falls within SAAMI spec but that doesn't mean that all SAAMI spec ammo can be shot without damage to the firearm.

pushing the 168, move up carefully to 57.3 grains of IMR4350, in conventional Rem or Win brass... WLR primer if available.

This is one of my OCW recipes which generally shoot very well in rifles not needing a gunsmith's attention. Give this recipe a try and let us know how it did. ;)

www.clik.to/optimalchargeweight

Dan

varget 50 grains as long as you can seat the bullet where it still will cycle in the mag. if you are talking bolt guns.

imr 4895 47 grns. = 2700 fps is a good one 2

h1000 60 grns. not in the book may be online some where is a good one

I like slow mag powder in the 06

fed brass 210 fedgmm primer BOLT GUNS ONLY!!!!!!!!!

30-06 load

you don't mention gun scope or distance. good manuals can be found used too. i have shot/loaded a lot of 30-06 in the last 6 months. if i was looking for a target load for a 168 i would use lapua brass and a 210m primer. either 4895 4064 and n-150 powder. that does not mean 3031 on the fast end or 4350 on the slow would not produce a good load

M1 Match load

The old standby for service rifles used to be 46.0gr IMR-4895 with Federal Match primers in LC Match brass.

If a 175 gr smk will kill a person fired from a sniper rifle... What makes you think it wouldn't put down a whitetail. I have excellent results on groundhogs with 52 gr smk's fired from a 223... They expand identical to most other hunting bullets.

Last edited by a moderator:
need load

dantiff- i ment to mention varget too. on longrangehunting many of them use mk as well as a-max and berger; all match bullets. that is another forum. here they shoot targets. the thread "perfect deer rifle " has 92 replies. you would get a wide variety and opinions on the perfect deer bullet. i get good accuracy from balitic tips. having shot game with the mk. i don't use them. but they will work.

Someone else's best load very likely would not be your best load.

Of course, suggestions give you a place to start.

Back