Need help to set up a 68 boattail bullet

trasch

Hello you all,

I just started shooting some 68 bt's from Hottenstein, and just wondering, if someone has some experiece with those? I tried them in my 1:14 Krieger just touching the rifling with 53 until 55 clicks of N133.My bushing is a .2605 in a .265 chamber.Need some starting loads to get this right.
Hope someone can help me out?

Paul

Tim,

You mean putting the bullet off the lands? If so, how much?
So, not touching the rifling at all?

What about the bushing?

Load starting from 28 grain of N133 going through........?

With V133 start about 29.2g and a mark on the bullet about 1/4 as tall as it is wide. Then with 3-shot groups, move in and out from that point in about 0.003" increments (6-groove barrels can go 0.005", 4-grooves a 0.003" increment). In that loading envelope find the best grouping. Remember a group gets no smaller after the 2nd shot so if the first 2 don't at least touch, forget that setting depth.

Find the best setting and verify with several 3-shot groups, then go up and down on powder and see if you can get better grouping.

Then go to the match and hang on!!!

Hi Paul.
What Jerry said.
You asked for a starting load.
I use 29.2 gn N133. And use a dummy round to find a start position of bullet depth.
The marks from the lands are made into squares.
When you jam a bullet in. The marks are rectangle.
And rectangle is longer than a square. And square is a square. All sides equal.
Then use a bullet comparator to find the measurement. Write this down. You should have a notebook.
Then do what Jerry says.
http://www.sinclairintl.com/product/10477/Bullet-Comparators
Bushing. I have a .262" neck...
I don't change my load. 20-90 degrees. :eek:
When I hunted around for a better load. The groups got bigger. And I always came back to 29.2.

Last edited:
My recommendation is to test your loads at 200 yards. You can easily tell which load is the best. Also, verify "that" load by shooting 3-5 five shot groups.

Works for me.
Lee :D

I like the idea about shooting at 200 yards. I usually do pretty well at 100 yards but 200 is were you will either win or loose the match. Im not experienced enough yet to know this, but i think with my rifle my 100 yard load (28.8 n133) might not be the best load for 200? Either that or i just cant read wind worth a hoot, and that folks is a strong possibility!! LOL!! In all seriousness i plan on shooting a lot of practice at 200 yards this summer!! There even more to it than just finding a good load and practicing at 200 yards. I need to learn how to set my flags so that i can get the most out of them. A proper load, or tune is also critical as it will show you when you have made a bad wind call, and i think i learn the most from those bad shots rather than the good ones?? Lee

Back