Need help on picking out a Ruger 204 rifle

T

triggerfingers

Ok, first post on this forum and need advise. I have the want to get a Ruger 204 rifle and need help in narrowing the field. I have the following on my list.
Savage 12 Varmint LP
Kimber Pro Varmint
Cooper 21 Montana Varminter

Plan on shooting out to 300 yards and want the most accurate rifle I can get. I will be hand loading for this round. Want are your thoughts?

Of the three listed Cooper would be my choice ONLY if you can get it with a Faster twist that the Industry standard 12".

From experience the 12" may or may not stabilize the 40 gr Hornady--I currently own a Remington XR-100 that will NOT stabilize them previously I had another XR-100 (Stolen) that would shoot them as good as any.

Good Luck

Jim

Thanks Hippy:

I actually called Cooper and the only twist that is available for the 204 Ruger is 1:12. They recommend the 32 grain and have gotten excellent accuracy with it.

Of the three listed Cooper would be my choice ONLY if you can get it with a Faster twist that the Industry standard 12".

From experience the 12" may or may not stabilize the 40 gr Hornady--I currently own a Remington XR-100 that will NOT stabilize them previously I had another XR-100 (Stolen) that would shoot them as good as any.

Good Luck

Jim

I bought two XR-100s in 204, and neither would shoot the 40 V-Max - so I rebarreled the second one in 20 Tac with a 10" twist Krieger.

Last edited:
School me a little bit so I'll understand what y'all are saying. Why does the 204 need a greater twist rate than a 222?

Is there a particular reason why you are locked into a 204 Ruger? You would possibly be better served with a 20 Tac, which I believe is available in a faster twist from Cooper. I have owned one, but granted it was several years back and may not be available in a 10" or 11" twist. The Cooper is definitely the better of the three. Just for information's sake, I either have or currently own more than 10 .204 caliber rifles ranging from a 20 Vartarg to 204 Ruger to 20-223 AI. I have only found one, the 20 Vartarg, that shot a 32gr bullet very well. All have the others shot the 40gr V Max and the 40 gr Bergers very well.

Rick

School me a little bit so I'll understand what y'all are saying. Why does the 204 need a greater twist rate than a 222?

Because when the 204 Ruger was developed, they loved the idea of advertising a factory 4,000 fps cartridge - it sounded great... and the 32 was well matched to the 12" twist.
But the little 32gr bullet is not very effective at longer ranges.

So the shooters started shooting the 39 SMK and the 40 V-Max, but many shooters had accuracy and stabilization problems because of the 12" twist. So they started rebarreling with 11" or 10" twist barrels.

Last edited:
I agree with Michael except I have owned one and witnessed other Sako 85 walnut/blued varmint rifles in 204 shoot the 39 sierra with H4895 into consistent sub .350' groups. Great quality rifle

Just my 2 cents...

From what I have seen with the 204 is that it is hit or miss with the 12 twist stabilizing...I own 3 of em, 2 will stabilize, one wont.

The one that won't isn't a true 12 twist after measuring...its more like 12.5 or 12.75. My Tikka drives the 39 Sierra and 40 Vmax into very small groups, its an honest 12 twist gun, or at least as close as I can measure.

I think they should be made with an 11 twist personally, but, that's just me.

I don't think they need a FASTER twist than a 12 to stabilize a 40, I think they need a true 12 twist.

It is my understanding that Hornady wanted the "Magic" 4000 fps so they chose the 32 Gr bullet with a 12" twist as it was the best for speed and accuracy--what other twist if any did they test I do not know

Jim

Ok, first post on this forum and need advise. I have the want to get a Ruger 204 rifle and need help in narrowing the field. I have the following on my list.
Savage 12 Varmint LP
Kimber Pro Varmint
Cooper 21 Montana Varminter

Plan on shooting out to 300 yards and want the most accurate rifle I can get. I will be hand loading for this round. Want are your thoughts?

The reason many of these guys talk about stabilizing the 40's is that you can kill Prairie Dawgs at 600yds with the 204 and an accurate 40 grain load. It will put a lot of pressure on your ability to read wind and mirage but it's a blast. Killing anything at 300 yards with a good shooting 204 other than ground squirrels is so easy it's boring. Most of us on here are into the challenge of making difficult shots. If you want to kill a truck load of P-Dawgs at 300 a good shooting AR in 223 will do that.

Back