Need help-info on rem 40-x

K

KEYBEAR

About ten years ago I bought a new Remington 40-X . It was a Benchrest gun and had a very heavy bench stock . I,m thinking it was a McMillan and came from Remington GREEN .

Any one know or remember the model number of this gun 40-X ????
Also how can I find the built Specifications . I need to know the barrel overall dimensions .

Thanks KEYBEAR

More info is needed to answer your question. I will paste somme general info on the 40x series that my help you get started in your search.

The Remington 40-X Rifle
A legend in it's own time

08 October 2001
By Paul "Pablito" Coburn

The 40-X series of rifles have been with us for about 40 years. The 40-X was the brainchild of Mike Walker, one of "Big guns" of Remington in the 1960's and an avid benchrest shooter.
He wanted Remington to have a "factory" target rifle that would beat anything in the field, including the famed Winchester M70/Target-Match.
Started in the early 60's, the 40-X line has expanded over the years to include rifles well suited to longrange target, Varmint shooting, military sniping, and benchrest shooting.
There are now two series of 40-X: the Match/Varmint rifles, and the Benchrest rifles, and contrary to popular belief, there ARE distinct differences between the two.
Each 40-X series rifle comes from the factory with a test target of two groups. The average of these two groups must meet the specifications required... about .75" for 30 cal rifles, and about .45" for the smaller calibers. Keep in mind that these groups are just "proof groups", and no indication of what the rifle is capable of. Nor is the load written on the target, a special load for that gun. Remington has standard loads for each caliber that they use to test the guns. These are NOT the best loads for the gun, so don't be disappointed if your new .308 40-X has two groups of 3/4"... it is capable of under .20" all day long.
All of the Match/Varmint Grade 40-XBs, regardless whether single shot, or repeater, are marked (Stamped!) 40-X on the left side of the receiver, opposite of the ejection port. The "B" part of the designation is the last digit of the serial number, as in "XXXXXX B".
There are NO match rifles marked "40-XB".
The first 40-X rifles had carbon-steel receivers and cro-moly barrels. These date in from the early 60's. By 1965, the barrels were stainless. Some years back (I don't know when), Remington switched to stainless steel receivers for the 40-XB Match/Varmint Rifles (but not for the benchrest rifles).
All 40-X series rifles are made on the short action. There never was a long action 40-X.
In the early years, there were two barrel weights, both 27.5": a medium (similar contour to the Varmint Special, but longer) called the H-1, and a straight heavy barrel called the H-2 (the current barrel). Now there is only one contour, the straight heavy barrel.
The 40-series rifles are available in single shot and repeater configurations. Of the repeaters, ONLY the .308 repeaters are clip slotted at the factory... If you order a repeater in another caliber, like .223 or .22-250, it is not clip slotted.
The receivers use the same barrel threads and same dimensions as the standard actions, BUT the 40-X series receivers are NOT taken from the standard production line and "trued"; they are made (and serial numbered) in a different facility.
The actions are NOT "blue printed" (there is no such thing as a blue printed action, no matter what your local 'smith says!). They are simply made true and square to spec, from the start. All the 40-X rifles I've owned had both lugs mated, all screw holes were true and in line, and they were impeccable.
My second 40-XB, a .308 40-XB/R (/R for repeater), was bought in 1966 and has a serial number of 0466xxB... A 40-XBBR I bought last year has a number of 0631xxB. That's 16,400-ish rifles in the 40-X series, made in 35 years, for an average of 470 a year, or 9 a week. And you want to know why there is a 10 month wait?
The standard barrel length for the 40-XB is 27.5", but they can be special ordered with shorter barrels. I have seen some in 26" and 24" from the factory. The early crowns were flat-faced, with a very small 45 degree counter-sink type crown (but done on a lathe). The current crown is a full faced, concave "dish crown". Both are equally accurate.
As to weight... 10.25 pounds... HA! (as Pat would say). The barreled action ALONE of a 27.5" 40-X weighs 8.5 pounds (9 pounds for a single shot). Add 3 pounds for a stock, and you're up to 11.5 to 12 pounds.
By the time you have scoped it, you are in the 13+ to 14+ weight range.
The benchrest rifles are the 40-XBBR, and they are marked as follows: The serial number XXXXXX B, and the notation "Remington Model 40XBR" is electro etched on the left side of the receiver, opposite the ejection port. The electro etching for the model number was specified (to minimize metal stress) from the very first "BR" action, and has been that way every since. All 40-XBBR actions were, and still are, carbon-steel, NOT stainless, and all are single shot.
The early 40-XBBRs were very heavy 26" barrels... (my 26", .222 Mag 40-XBBR is a brute). Then the benchrest associations changed their weight classifications, so Remington went to shorter barrels to drop a lot of weight. For a while, 20" barrels were very "in vogue", but now they are 24" long unless ordered shorter.
The stocks for the 40-XBBR are made by McMillan, and are a special, completely foam filled "shell" stock (to cut down weight), so the BR guns come in at 10.5 pounds. But, if you re-stock them with a "real" stock, they go up to 12 to 13 pounds.
Both the SINGLE-SHOT match, and the BR rifles can be had with a very good, triple lever, 2 oz trigger (it has NO SAFETY!!). The repeaters come with a very good double lever (adjustable from the outside) target trigger (with safety), which looks like, but is different than, the standard 700 trigger.
In '66, about twenty 40-Xs in 6mm-International were made for the AMU to compete in the Olympics. These had a special 2 oz trigger that had adjustable LOP hand built into them, but all the rest of the triggers over the years have been the same.
That's pretty much the story on the 40-X rifles... they are excellent rifles... better than most "custom built" rifles, and even though going for $1,800 to $2,000 (2001 prices), they are cheaper that many inferior custom rifles. Also, because of the 10 month wait, the resale is very high. If you get one, you won't be disappointed.

I,m thinking Remington only made one ,odel; with the Green Benchrest stock ?
That is all I,m interested in and need info on it . Someone has one or knows about them .

KEYBEAR

"They are simply made true and square to spec from the start"? Problem with that is Remington's specs are no where near that of top custom builders . When I see someone use the term " will shoot under .200 all day long", then that persons credibility goes out the window...... If that were true they'd reign mighty on super-shoot winning equip't lists...... It's just a Remington 700 solid bottom receiver made to same specs as a repeater. Is it the s/n etching, the lapping expertise, the precision bedding of the custom shop craftsman, or the premium hammer-forged barrels (later years) that overcomes the poor threading tolerances and warped receivers? Last time I looked they ran ~ $3500. I'll put my $$ in an established custom builder any day. Yes, I did have a custom shop 700, and know first hand how inferior and overpriced they are, not to mention poor resale value.
For info I'm sure a call to Remington with the s/n will get you the info you need.

Last edited:
Mr. Smith if I had the gun/Se. number I would not be asking ? I sold the gun 7/8 years ago .
Now I have one of the stocks and would like to know what the barrel profile was Originally ?

KEYBEAR

Thank You George in ky Just what I was looking for .

KEYBEAR

Still have the parts

I bought a 40XBR to build my first LV with. Still have the bits that came off it. Chambered in .222 with a taper 1.2 to .9 but not sure what had been done to the barrel. Was chromemoly 21" long with a 1:14 twist.
Andy.

I bought some parts to put this Rifle back shooting . I have a Stock (the green one) trigger and looking for a good action . I think I may buy a use Rem 40-X from a web auction site cheaper and just use the action . I can always sell the rest as parts .

I thank you all for the info . KEYBEAR

Keybear- so you want to resurrect a 40XB? My question is what is your reason for doing so? Accuracy ? just like the looks? Keep in mind a standard action with a fixed Davidson ramp will be as accurate as an XB action.IMHO. For accuracy look into a Stiller Preditor action or several other 700 clones.
Most don't build a rifle around a stock.

Stock

I,m not ? I was looking for this stock for some time and found one . I shoot the 223 and only the 223 . Better stuff out there yes but I like the 223 .

I shoot at my own range and do have neighbors and the 223 is not that loud . I will never buy a 6ppc don,t like it and have been loading the 223 for years .

KEYBEAR

About ten years ago I bought a new Remington 40-X . It was a Benchrest gun and had a very heavy bench stock . I,m thinking it was a McMillan and came from Remington GREEN .

Any one know or remember the model number of this gun 40-X ????
Also how can I find the built Specifications . I need to know the barrel overall dimensions .

Thanks KEYBEAR

Yes...

It was a Remington 40XB-BR, and was originally spec'ed by Mike Walker. I have 4 of them and they are very nice rifles (I'm sure I'll get bombed by the custom actions guys for that remark).

The stock WAS made by McMillen

I bought a 40XB-BR stock some time ago thinking some day of using it . I found I could buy an older 40X cheaper then an action and parts . I bought a nice older 40X in 223 from a guy in texas . It was rebarreled with a very nice stainless barrel in 223 and has a Jewel trigger . The barrel is very close to the size of the 40-XB-BR I had and only shot 15 times . I will use the parts I need and sell the rest . It,s a winter job to keep me out of the house . Thank You for the info

KEYBEAR

40X in a International Stock setup ID

Hello,

Came across this forum and am hoping that someone would know what I have purchased.

I've called the custom shop with no results yet so thought I'd see if someone recognizes this rifle or it's heritage.

I've attached some pictures as well to hopefully give some clues.

The sights that came with the rifle were Redfield Olympic sights.

Personally the stock serves me no purpose and would appreciate knowing it's value and if this is something that did come from the custom shop I'd have to of course keep it together. There were some initials on the stock as pictures.

Thanks for any and all input. This is a rifle I've wanted for some time so an very anxious to find out more about it.

Regards,

Lee

Attachments

• DSC_089711.jpg
    DSC_089711.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 1,516
  • DSC_091111.jpg
    DSC_091111.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 1,056
  • DSC_090811.jpg
    DSC_090811.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 442
  • DSC_090311.jpg
    DSC_090311.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 617
Some additional infromation:
I believe that I read this in PS, from a good source. The reason for the difference in the way that the 40x-BRs were labeled was because at some point it was recognized that in the most accurate calibers. probably the .222 and 6x47, that if the bottom half of the receiver was not a true cylinder that there was a slight reduction in accuracy. This was before pillar bedding. In any case, a decision was made to change the order of operations on these actions, which had previously been machined and stamped before hardening, which caused some small amount of warpage when they were quenched in eutectic salts. For these actions, the largest blanks, that would fit in the fixtures were chosen, and all of the machining was done, except for grinding the OD and stamping, at that point they were hardened, and the OD ground. If the bottom 180 degrees of the action did not clean up, they were rejected. If the actions were stamped before hardening, and then reground this would have required too much hand work to fix the stamping, so an applied lettering system was chosen. Many years later, after the custom shop had moved, I called to see if the BRs were still being done that way, and the manager had no idea what I was talking about. It seems that things changed after Mr. Walker left. If I were in the market for a used 40x single shot, it would be one of the early ones with the applied lettering.

Back