Need a Spotting Scope recommendation

I got a Konus....

shopping

Good out to at least 200y for 30 cal holes. About $250

I assume that you are shooting 25 yards or less indoor. Even it it is 50 yards a 60 mm scope of 25 power will do the job. I have a Bushnell of that type and it has served me well for 60 years. Outside, I can easily make out 22 holes at 100 yards and in the white at 200 yards. I can easily see four moons on Jupiter and the rings on Saturn. A good stand is a necessity and Celestron is a good brand as are several others. Good 60 mm scopes are plentiful on the used market.

Concho Bill

Geez Bill you must be older than me. I can't think of anything I've kept track of that long. Including my first wife.

I might be older than some dirt.

Geez Bill you must be older than me. I can't think of anything I've kept track of that long. Including my first wife.
Sdean, I have kept a few of the best things for a long time. I have a custom rifle from about the same time as the Bushnell spotting scope and I still have my first wife. These things keep me young.
Old Concho Bill

Last edited:
I have a discontinued Kowa that I inherited. It’s good, but you will not see holes out past 300 yards, I can not anyway. But for 0 to 300, I can see how I am shooting. 300 is pushing it for me though.

I have been looking into a camera I can mount to target or maybe set on ground in front of stand and use my iPhone to see where bullets are on the target, but I have not found something that works the way I want it to. I think technology is not as far along as Needed for what I want to do.

My father use to place a video camera in front of target and he ran a spool of coax/power supply line on ground from bench to camera and he plugged into 13 inch tv he sat next to him in the bench. He would record his range time on the built in vhs player. It worked, but got many funny looks.

I have a discontinued Kowa that I inherited. It’s good, but you will not see holes out past 300 yards, I can not anyway. But for 0 to 300, I can see how I am shooting. 300 is pushing it for me though.

I have been looking into a camera I can mount to target or maybe set on ground in front of stand and use my iPhone to see where bullets are on the target, but I have not found something that works the way I want it to. I think technology is not as far along as Needed for what I want to do.

My father use to place a video camera in front of target and he ran a spool of coax/power supply line on ground from bench to camera and he plugged into 13 inch tv he sat next to him in the bench. He would record his range time on the built in vhs player. It worked, but got many funny looks.

This is what I trying to explain what I was looking for in my above post. Anyways, I think this would work perfect.

https://targetvisioncam.com/?gclid=...DiQvjNHF-Iq_R3PUdQA5qUUFZw87BOScaAkttEALw_wcB

Save up

and buy quality optics. Regarding seeing bullet holes at a distance...it depends on the caliber(size of bullet hole), the visual acuity of the observer, atmospheric conditions and most importantly on the quality of the optic. However, the best quality optic cant overcome bad seeing.

and buy quality optics. Regarding seeing bullet holes at a distance...it depends on the caliber(size of bullet hole), the visual acuity of the observer, atmospheric conditions and most importantly on the quality of the optic. However, the best quality optic cant overcome bad seeing.

It is even harder for good eyes to see through lesser optics.

Unless you want to spring for a Kowa with fluorite lenses (bird watchers actually do) at 80 to 90 mm flare is going to start obscuring bullet hole much past 300 yard or so.

Back