Need A Front Rest ?

Steve,
I have a Caldwell BR and although it isn't even close to top of the line in got me started in the game, I have been looking to upgrade also, I have been looking hard at the JJ or Randolf ( Ken Fulghum) but thats a lot more then your wanting to spend, I talked to Butch Lambert about his ShadeTree top on my Caldwell base and he said that works just fine except sometimes if having to shoot down hill it's hard to get low enough but by taking the mariner wheel off you can get another 3/4" lower and you don't need it with the coaxial top anyway, I am going to buy a good rest but I also plan on upgrading my caldwell with the shadetree, and that would be a inexpensive way for you to get started as well, I hope this helps some.
Wayne.
Another guy to consider is Joe Cowan for the top on your Caldwell BR base. I got one on the way. Joe is a good guy and the money generated by the sales of their (the school) products goes to good causes. The one I got has windage and is $122 delivered. The threads in the post of the Caldwell have to be opened up from 1/4 20 to 5/16 18 to mount this properly, but that shouldn't be a big deal for most people.

I have shot off of many style rest in Rimfire competition, and not to down any of them, the Fulghum rest is the best I have ever laid a gun on hands down! I do not shoot the Centerfire competitions, so I don't know how much this relates, but it would definitely be a rest worth looking at, and well worth the money. IMO

I have shot off of many style rest in Rimfire competition, and not to down any of them, the Fulghum rest is the best I have ever laid a gun on hands down! I do not shoot the Centerfire competitions, so I don't know how much this relates, but it would definitely be a rest worth looking at, and well worth the money. IMO
TMeade,
What top are you using, the adjustable or the one for a std. bag? I have got one on order with the adjustable top and was wondering your thoughts on that and I have always locked the top down once adjusted but Ken Fulghum said his swivels but with a allen wrench it can be locked down, how do you like the swivel top? or do you lock it? thanks in advance for any info given about this rest. I will be using it for 1000 yard br competition.
Wayne.

Don't lock it down the swivel is the beauty of it and you will never have any binding in the bags.
The adjustable top is great and if you ever want to shoot rimfire Pappas makes a sweet (really great) delrin top that fits the Randolph head. Being a type-a OCD personality type like me eventually you will have all 3 heads anyways Lol. They snap on and off in 2 seconds and it's a great system. I even have an unlimited 5 inch top on order for it (hopefully you ordered that one as it adjusts down to fit your 3 inch stocks also).

Don't lock it down the swivel is the beauty of it and you will never have any binding in the bags.
The adjustable top is great and if you ever want to shoot rimfire Pappas makes a sweet (really great) delrin top that fits the Randolph head. Being a type-a OCD personality type like me eventually you will have all 3 heads anyways Lol. They snap on and off in 2 seconds and it's a great system. I even have an unlimited 5 inch top on order for it (hopefully you ordered that one as it adjusts down to fit your 3 inch stocks also).
Twentytwoguy,
I had to ask my wife what OCD was,...you are correct she said LOL, yes I got the adjustable top to accommodate a three inch top, I have talked to a fella that sells for Ken and to Ken himself, I am going to order the other tops eventually but for now just the Fulgham and I am also ordering a JJ rest because I must have OCD and they were the two top rests recommended to me and I just couldn't decide, it's only $1800,...............what the heck!! Thank you for the reply.
Wayne.

Top!

TMeade,
What top are you using, the adjustable or the one for a std. bag? I have got one on order with the adjustable top and was wondering your thoughts on that and I have always locked the top down once adjusted but Ken Fulghum said his swivels but with a allen wrench it can be locked down, how do you like the swivel top? or do you lock it? thanks in advance for any info given about this rest. I will be using it for 1000 yard br competition.
Wayne.

I had both tops and liked the adjustable one better myself, many of the other guys use the standard bag and do well though. Seemed I could adjust the tension I wanted on the bag easier with the adjustable top, and then if I was shooting in a 3-gun match didn't have to worry with switching tops either. I agree with not tightening down the top either, letting it swivel works well without binding. I'm no pro here, just offering my opinions and again don't know how much the Rimfire shooting relates to the Centerfire style of shooting, but I would think there was some there?

Back