neck turning

Amen to that!!

The best shooter won't win with a gun that will only shoot a .300 agg.

If your going to play at the top it takes good equipment. Anymore the aggs are so small you can't leave anything on the table. Equipment wise or shooting wise.
If I don't have a rifle that will shoot up to what I think it should be doing, it's staying home.

Richard

The best shooter won't win with a gun that will only shoot a .300 agg.

Sorta goes without saying, but the best equipment won't make a winner out of someone who can't read wind and has poor technique. You can't spend your way to first place in this game without doing the trigger time as well.

Rick

Sorta goes without saying, but the best equipment won't make a winner out of someone who can't read wind and has poor technique. You can't spend your way to first place in this game without doing the trigger time as well.

Rick

Again, a complete newbie with a really good gun has set many a match on fire...... even some records. And it ain't about buying first place, it's about LUCK......until somebody figgers out how to make all guns shoot just as good.

Call it "the gun"

Call it "the barrel"

It might be "the bullets"

But whatever it is, some guns SHOOT.... some don't. And that's ALL'S I'm referring to in my comment. And I'll add now that if you've got one that SHOOTS you'd better treasure it and hugg it and kiss it and pinch it's liddle cheeks and call it's name 'Bob'

It was a'splained to me once, "hey, most days it don't matter BUT..... when that day comes, it's nice to be ready for a trigger pullin' contest!"

And at the same time, I'm agreeing with Richard here..... Most any decent match today has a lot of guns that are shooters. And shooters to run them.

Again, a complete newbie with a really good gun has set many a match on fire...... even some records. And it ain't about buying first place, it's about LUCK......until somebody figgers out how to make all guns shoot just as good.

Call it "the gun"

Call it "the barrel"

It might be "the bullets"

But whatever it is, some guns SHOOT.... some don't. And that's ALL'S I'm referring to in my comment. And I'll add now that if you've got one that SHOOTS you'd better treasure it and hugg it and kiss it and pinch it's liddle cheeks and call it's name 'Bob'

It was a'splained to me once, "hey, most days it don't matter BUT..... when that day comes, it's nice to be ready for a trigger pullin' contest!"

Have to say I agree with Al, as I was one of these fortunate 'lucky' people.

I won a Yardage and a Grand/Agg at my first Group Nationals. Had shot only four matches prior. I later discovered I was also 'lucky' as this barrel (only my second barrel purchased) was a "hummer"

So definitely lucky to begin with!

Michael

I think that the best practice that there is, is shooting in matches. There is a difference between shooting in a match and shooting at home. There is a different intensity level involved when shooting in matches that you just can't have at home. I think one of the biggest keys is watching those flags for every shot. It's pretty easy to get to running a group so quickly that you forget to watch the flags. When you do that it's like shooting blind. At least, if you see a flag change and you go ahead and pull the trigger, you know why the bullet went out of the group. If you aren't watching the flags, then you don't have a clue. That said, it is a lot easier to shoot a rifle that is shooting and is in tune than one that isn't.

Competition

In Golf,the Competition is between the player and the Golf Course. Getting to know the Golf Course improves your chances at winning. The best players know how to play every hole on the course in a Big tournament.

The same principle applies to Benchrest competition. The competition is between the shooter and the atmospheric conditions encountered during the registered match. The idea is to bring your BEST game and EQUIPMENT to the match. Its often too late to figure it out ,once the commence fire command is given.

Long time benchrest shooter,Cecil Tucker related a story, about practice, that supports my opinion on this topic. Cecil stated that he practiced at the MIdland,Tx range ,everyday, for a two week period, prior to a NBRSA Nationals Championship match.

Cecil came close to winning that Nationals which he attributes to practice, getting to know the range..

Glenn

Back