neck turning cases

Maybe.......

......a pic is worth a thousand words.

Maybe not.

BTW......many thanks to "innocent" Francis.

Kevin
etrtao.jpg

Attachments

• etrtao.jpg
    etrtao.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 225
There is a good article on accurateshooter.com describing three methods of neck turning. All three are used by somebody and all three work well. It comes down to a matter of choice. Pick one and try it.

Rick

Shellholder

......a pic is worth a thousand words.

Maybe not.

BTW......many thanks to "innocent" Francis.

Kevin
etrtao.jpg

What kind/brand of shellholder is this, I am looking for something better than the old style Sinclair I have to fit in the 3 jaw on my mini lathe.
Thanks
Kelly Ellis

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    27 KB · Views: 649
Last edited:
Years ago

I did a lot of cases on my 10 L the same way Jackie does his. I haven't done any in years that way but it is fast and easy.

Pete

HPIM0731.JPG
how do you approach neck turning your cases/
THAT IS TO SAY CAN YOU DESCRIBE YOUR WAY OF DOING NECK TURNING?
GARY B

This is what I jury rigged and it works Pissah! The heck with holding the cutter in one hand and using a drill.

Last edited:
Kelly........

The caseholder is made from parts used on a Forster Case Trimmer. The collet holder is lathe made, to attach to the gearmotor output shaft.

The set-up is also good for some case prep. See pic below.

Sure beats my old cordless drill set-up.

Kevin
mll3ci.jpg

My old cordless drill set-up.
2udxank.jpg

Attachments

• mll3ci.jpg
    mll3ci.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:
Case holder

The caseholder is made from parts used on a Forster Case Trimmer. The collet holder is lathe made, to attach to the gearmotor output shaft.

The set-up is also good for some case prep. See pic below.

Sure beats my old cordless drill set-up.

Kevin
mll3ci.jpg

My old cordless drill set-up.
2udxank.jpg

Kevin
Thanks for answering my question. You have a very nice looking setup.
Thanks Again
Kelly

Case head area......

You fellas with the lathe set-up........

Do you allow the case head to "float", while turning the neck?

Thanks,
Kevin

You fellas with the lathe set-up........

Do you allow the case head to "float", while turning the neck?

Thanks,
Kevin

On 21st Century lathe, the cutter is mounted on the lathe with capscrew that goes thru a spacer with a rubber bushing inside so it does indeed float. There is a 2nd smaller capscrew that mounts the cutter to the lathe so you can pivot it. The shellholder that is mounted on the shaft that attaches to the motor is also rubber mounted, and there is a round protrusion with a rubber o-ring that when you put the case in the shellholder and twist it tight, that round protrusion with the o-ring fits perfectly inside the primer pocket. John at 21st Century is very creative in some of the stuff that he comes up with. The cases come out perfect with this system. The cutters are carbide and the mandrel is TiN coated.

Last edited:
I turn mine the same way Jackie does his, and yes the neck is pushed onto a piolet the same dia. as the bullet. Then single point turn with the head of the case floating. Check it with a indicator the neddle doesn't even move!

i'm not sure where the link to jackie's neck turning is,
but as i recall( dangerous at my age),
he turns a new mandrel each time to ensure it is true.
a push tight fit to drive the case,
machine driven on the final cut for a great finish/uniformity.

i'm not sure where the link to jackie's neck turning is,
but as i recall( dangerous at my age),
he turns a new mandrel each time to ensure it is true.
a push tight fit to drive the case,
machine driven on the final cut for a great finish/uniformity.

That is correct. Once you unchuck the mandrel, it is virtually impossible to retrue it close enough for this type of work, where you are dealing in .0001 dimensions.

I'm not saying you can't, but it's no big deal to just turn a fresh one each time you set the lathe up to do the operation.

In my first post in this thread, that little known is to a YouTube video of me doing necks on our EE.

A couple of tips when using an engine lathe to turn case necks;

-if you will turn the arbor to exactly the diameter of your bullet, the finished neck, when turning, will be the same exact diameter as the loaded case neck with a bullet seated.

-setting a 0.0001" graduation dial indicator against the back of the tool holder gives you the ability to move the turning tool in 0.0001" movements.

That is correct. Once you unchuck the mandrel, it is virtually impossible to retrue it close enough for this type of work, where you are dealing in .0001 dimensions.

I'm not saying you can't, but it's no big deal to just turn a fresh one each time you set the lathe up to do the operation.

In my first post in this thread, that little known is to a YouTube video of me doing necks on our EE.

Jackie,

do you eyeball your stop at the shoulder?

Back