Neck turning - 1 pass or 2?

Wilbur even a broken clock is right twice a day, but I'm with you Barrels and bullets, I've busted my butt for years trying this, and that. But if I had barrels and chamber jobs given to me. I would go that way and just load them up and shoot them. When the barrel was dead, put on another one. But I don't have that luxury, so I have to make the barrel shoot the best I know how! And for bushing size, I lean toward the tight side. But also like enough clearance so the cases come out easily.

Joe Salt

Take it in two passes, this is where having two tools preset will pay in time saved and will make you much happier.

If you go with the Great Pumpkin's neck turner, heat is never a problem. It is just to big of a heat sink to be a problem. Love his tools.

Nothing wrong with his bullet seater either. Funny Wilson hasn't caught on.

Tiny

Let's say you turn your brass to .0085. Ask yourself a question. How many .0085's are there on your measurement tool? If you use one like mine there is only one. You can turn your brass 1 time or 10 times to get to that dimension if you are using the correct tools. Also it depends on how much work you want to do. I believe when turning brass the end result I am looking for is uniform thickness and smoothness.

I use the Pumpkin turner(best I have ever used for repeatability ect.)and a power unit built by Henry Vrarian(RIP Henry)that turns 118 rpm. When I go out to my shop to turn brass the first thing I do after I open the door is to put my ball mic in my pocket to warm it up. I keep my shop at 65 degrees when I am not out there and turn up to 70 when I am there. I gather all the other stuff I need. Then when I am ready to start turning my brass I take the Pumpkin turner over to the sink and run HOT WATER ON IT for about a minute. I turn my brass until I'm done for the night without ever cooling down the turner........there is no need.........it doesn't get hot. No ice water, no nothin.............I use ATF on the mandril, applied with a cotton swab, and run the brass on slow and off slow, TURNING IT ONE TIME. While the brass is still turning and after I pull the turner off I use a towel to dry the ATF off the brass, then use a bronze brush with 000 steel wool on the inside of the mouth and grab a piece of 600 grit sand paper and polish the outside until it squeaks. Make sure to measure the necks in a couple places to insure the correct thickness. Before I started doing my brass this way I always had inconsistent measurements and had to adjust the turner. I think a lot of that had to do with my measuring tool warming up and measuring inconsistent and my turner not being up to temp.

I've been turning brass since 1989. This works for me, opinions differ.........................Oh, another thing. Do you think people that are selling turned brass do more than one pass???

Later
Dave

Last edited:
Dave I think he may think you're touching yourself too much. Why not keep everything in the same room at the same temperature like everyone else.

Joe Salt

What's that mean Al? I ain't good at reading between the lines.

I'm not your wife Dave, there ain 't no lines to read between.

I like it.

That's awesome ...... there's more than one way to normalize the system.

Sounds like a racing fix to me, can't launch clean with cold tires! :)

wish't I'da' thought of it.

al

Dave I think he may think you're touching yourself too much. Why not keep everything in the same room at the same temperature like everyone else.

Joe Salt

Joe said:

Why not keep everything in the same room at the same temperature like everyone else?

My answer is this. Because when you start turning brass, your turning tool of choice starts warming up to higher temps than room temp due to friction. By me essentially pre-warming my turner in hot water it is already there.

Thanks for the compliment Al. There is nothing wrong with your ice water method either, but if I was to use that method I would throw the turner in the water before starting to turn brass.

There are many ways to skin this cat, who cares as long as the brass has consistent thickness and smoothness. But for me, I'll be sticking with one pass turning.

Later
Dave

Last edited:
Joe said:

Why not keep everything in the same room at the same temperature like everyone else?

My answer is this. Because when you start turning brass, your turning tool of choice starts warming up to higher temps than room temp due to friction. By me essentially pre-warming my turner in hot water it is already there.

Thanks for the compliment Al. There is nothing wrong with your ice water method either, but if I was to use that method I would throw the turner in the water before starting to turn brass.

There are many ways to skin this cat, who cares as long as the brass has consistent thickness and smoothness. But for me, I'll be sticking with one pass.

Later
Dave

Please note that I use room temp water, NOT icewater. I disagree with the use of ice water. I actually keep a jug of water in the pan, at the setup all the time, refilling as needed.

Back