Neck Tension for LT-32

James M.

Have any of you experimented with LT-32 enough to ascertain an ideal neck tension? I use a great deal of tension with my .262 neck and N133 powder. I use a .256 bushing with a loaded round that measures about .260. Is this too much for the LT-32? Thanks, James

I've did some testing yesterday with neck tension. It doesn't seem overly critical like with 133. My neck is like your's a .262. I've went as tight as a .255 bushing all the way to a .2595. Didn't really start to see any change until about .258 and things started to open up. A couple of more experienced shooters said that the old T powder liked very little neck tension, we didn't find that with the LT-32.

I went back and found the testing done by Speedy, where he compared T to LT-32. He reported using a .258 bushing on a .263 neck. I think that falls in line with what I found yesterday and what you are finding.

I seem to keep going back to 29.3 gr but it's little hot in a .236 bore, I need to find a lower node. What has been your experience with load work up so far?

Mike

Mike, I haven't gone that hot. I found enough velocity with 28.4-28.7 gr. This was with lot no. 1. I am expecting some lot #2 soon and will try a different bushings... .2585, .258, .257, and .256. All of my loads thus far have been with .256. Good shooting...James

what lot

Been using a .258 bushing for a .261 loaded neck diameter ..... maybe I should be tighter base on these post.

OK, how do I tell the lot # on this LT-32 powder? The only thing I've found on my jugs is a date of 12-21-12.

Last edited:
Have any of you experimented with LT-32 enough to ascertain an ideal neck tension? I use a great deal of tension with my .262 neck and N133 powder. I use a .256 bushing with a loaded round that measures about .260. Is this too much for the LT-32? Thanks, James

Have you, or anyone else for that matter found too much neck tension to be a bad thing? If so, why do you think?

lot numbers

As variuos people post their results with the new LT-32 it would really be helpful to all if a lot number is posted. This could keep things from getting confused as happened in the past when the various lots of XBR were not equal to the first lot.

The 8 pound jugs that I received do not have anything in the normal lot number space, just stickers on the bottom that say "12 21 12".
Does anyone have any idea on the lot?

The 8 pound jugs that I received do not have anything in the normal lot number space, just stickers on the bottom that say "12 21 12".
Does anyone have any idea on the lot?
An 8# jug a friend has the lot number is the same format as the Canadian/2015. There will be a single digit above the numbers you show.

As to the 5,000# batch of Lot #1, I know of one person who ordered 248# just for his self. His order was placed way before the Sandy Hook tragedy.

According to Keith Anderson both lot#2 and #3 are being shipped. He said that they were shipping the maximum each day. Good shooting...James

Both of my 8# Jugs have a sticker on the bottom 01.07.13 with a #2 on top. If that is the lot# maybe its a good idea to mark that # in the front of the Jugs with a permanent pen. The stickers dont look like they will stick very Long. if this powder is as good as people ar claiming it is. i will stock up some more. Gabe

Pressure ring

Doesn't the pressure ring on the base of FB bullets also affect the amount of neck tension and the bushing used?

I've did some testing yesterday with neck tension. It doesn't seem overly critical like with 133. My neck is like your's a .262. I've went as tight as a .255 bushing all the way to a .2595. Didn't really start to see any change until about .258 and things started to open up. A couple of more experienced shooters said that the old T powder liked very little neck tension, we didn't find that with the LT-32.

I went back and found the testing done by Speedy, where he compared T to LT-32. He reported using a .258 bushing on a .263 neck. I think that falls in line with what I found yesterday and what you are finding.

I seem to keep going back to 29.3 gr but it's little hot in a .236 bore, I need to find a lower node. What has been your experience with load work up so far?

Mike

My experience, no surprise, jibes with Speedy's. I also have a .262 neck and use a .258 bushing which is moderate tension with LT-32 with good results. I tried a .256 bushing and .257 bushing and thought the .258 worked best. The groups seemed a little rounder with .258. I formerly used a .258 with N133. I've been using 28.5 grs. LT-32 with two different barrels.

The apparent lot number on my 1# bottles of LT-32 is 1218121

BTW I've been using the (relatively) new Berger column bullets with LT-32 and am very pleased with the results.

Jerry

Last edited by a moderator:
Kinda off topic, but i did get some LT32 ordered. my supply guy is getting it from Grafs and it will be lot Number 1. Grafs told my supply guy that Lot #1 has had better feed back compared to lot 2. Not real sure why Grafs would have claimed this, but i found it interesting. I dont believe it, but we will have 16 pounds if its true. LOL!!!! Lee

Thanks Lou for the info. Like i say, i didnt really think anything about it. The 2015 i have shot sure shoots well, so i will eager to try the LT32. Thanks again Lou for all your effort. lee

They are talking about 2015 lot 2
Lot 2 of Lt32 is the same as one and is still on the dock being ship .
Other than me I don't know anyone that has lot 2 of Lt32

Lou i got 1# cans, i figgured every one was going for 8lb'ers so i would order 1# cans in hope to get some. i did.
on the lable is a gray strip reads 0104132

i was thinking it ment 01/04/13 fill date lot 2 but i dont know that for sure. havent shot any yet. it's like 10deg F and snow right now.

Lou i got 1# cans, i figgured every one was going for 8lb'ers so i would order 1# cans in hope to get some. i did.
on the lable is a gray strip reads 0104132

i was thinking it ment 01/04/13 fill date lot 2 but i dont know that for sure. havent shot any yet. it's like 10deg F and snow right now.

Frank

I have 8 1# bottles of LT-32. Mine have gray labels on each that read 1218121. I was guessing that meant Dec. 18, 2012 Lot 1. Sounds like Lou is saying that we both have Lot 1. I wonder why there is otherwise a different number on those gray labels with the powder being so new? Also too cold to shoot here now but my initial tests with Berger column bullets (touching the lands) were tried with three different neck tensions and all look good. I've settled on a .258 button with .262 neck and 28.5 grs. The PDF I listed in the other message suggests this is a maximum load although Speedy said he'd worked up to 29.3 grs.

Jerry

Back