Neck size or full size a 6x47L case for the reamer dimensions.

VaniB

I've never resized, but have learned a lot from what you guys have explained to me a couple of weeks back about how to resize. I have since received my Lapua cases, and the bullets to work with. I now need to order my dies.

When I resize the 6.5x47Lapua case to the 6x47L case.....should I buy a Forster 6x47L neck sizing die, or should I buy the Forster 6x47L full length sizer die?

Whatever final case dimensions are produced with the die will be loaded with a bullet, and the dummy cartridge then sent to Dave to make up a reamer. Is it best to use only the neck sizer and try to leave the factory unfired case undisturbed and as close to factory as it is? Or, should I run the unfired factory case through a full length Forster resizer? Perhaps the case dimensions of the unfired case are much the same as a forster full length sized case?

I have gone this route before. What I did was take a casting of the body die. Then got all my diminsions from the cast, and had Kiff grind the reamer to my specs. I diminisoned the reamer for .0005" to .001" sizeing at the sholder diameter, and .0005" to .001" bump back on the sholder. Just fill out one of his blank prints. That reamer turned very well, and the cartridge shoots excellent out of three different rifle builds so far;).

Bill

In case anybody cares to know; Forster said that their full length sizer should be used to size the 6.5 x47 brass down to a 6x47L.....and NOT attempt to resize it with just their neck sizer die alone.

Bill De,

You're way more advanced then me. I'd have to really know what the heck I'm doing to do it your way. :D But, wouldn't you agree that if I can neatly make a sized-down case using the Forster die with some imperial wax, and seat a 105 bullet in it so it looks good .......it ought to be good enough for Dave to work with and make a reamer for me. No?

I use the 6 x 47 forster full length sizing die to size down to 6 x47 the first time. It works very well.

I don't know enough about this to know if it matters, but you get a much nicer looking result when necking down this way versus using a neck only die.

The neck only die left a ridge in the neck where the bushing stopped that I did not like and made me worry about increasing donut formation.

I neck size only using a redding bushing die when I reload after the first firing.

Works for me.

Sorry I was not more help.

Thanks Andrew, that was plenty enough helpful as it confirms just what I need to know, and serves to reinforce the suspicion I had about trying to use just a neck die alone.

Vani,
It sounded to me like you were going to use new unfired brass to size down, that may or may not give a true representation if the case does not fill out the die. Thats why I did the one I did with a cast of the body die. But you are correct in that it should be good enough, probably better than just off the shelf stuff. I would use the full length die in your situtation.

Bill

Vani,
It sounded to me like you were going to use new unfired brass to size down, that may or may not give a true representation if the case does not fill out the die. Thats why I did the one I did with a cast of the body die..... Bill

Yes Bill, a new and unfired Lapua case is exactly what I'm planning on sending to Dave to make a reamer. I want a tight no-turn neck chamber. My most important effort is to size the 6.5 neck down neatly/uniformly to the 6mm neck, and not be sending Dave a dummy with double neck or bulge. With the case neck resized properly and a bullet of my choice seated in the factory new case, I can't see how a screw-up can take place.

Correct me if I am wrong, but a new and unfired Lapua 6x47L case is almost certainly going to be the brass case with which Forster and any other die maker is basing their dimensions on. (especially with the name "Lapua" in it). And I would assume that the Forster die is going to squeeze a fired Lapua case pretty close back to the starting factory size of a new/unfired Lapua case. Thus, taking a cast of your die ought to produce dimensions that are virtually the same as a new/unfired Lapua case. I would think that a cast of a die is more essential when having a reamer made up for a wilcat case that is a one-of-a-kind cartridge.

While I concede that doing it your way can't hurt, I just don't know if it's really necessary.

I appreciate your help and am not trying to argue with you, as much as I'm trying to be sure that I understand how this custom chamber game works.

Last edited:
Right or wrong this is how I did my 7mm SAUM light gun.
First I got a FL Hornady die set and ran a couple 300 SAUM Nosler cases through it. I am using only Nosler although I did play with some Norma a little but the Nosler is better. I then seated a 162 Amax in the case the depth I wanted to seat them. I sent these 2 cases to Dave Kiff and had him grind the reamer to the dimensions he thought would be practicle and with a .002 neck clearance. After I got the reamer print back I sent it to Hornady for a custom FL die so I could size the neck without pulling an expander button through it. This was to reduce working the neck and I don't like pulling an expander button through the neck.
I also got a RCBS gold medal FL bushing die in case I do need to adjust tension and gold medal seater die (because I just like them) but so far I havn't needed to adjust the neck tension.

James

.272 neck works great - no turning necessary

Neck ends up just slightly over .270 with a bullet in it

I would be amazed if Dave does not have reamers on the shelf for a 6x47 shooting a 105+ grain bullet

I just had him shorten on of those for me to shoot 70-80 gr bullets out of a 1-12

Back