Neck interference fit

Shoulder Bump

With a .224 bullet and brass with .014 neck wall thickness has anyone found .001 or .002 shoulder bump to be more conducive to accuracy using a single round fed bolt action?
Thanks

Last edited:
way too little info to base a reply on.

yes i have used .001 on a bolt gun
but it was my gun my ammo and my loading process

With a .224 bullet and brass with .014 neck wall thickness has anyone found .001 or .002 to be more conducive to accuracy using a single round fed bolt action?
Thanks

What would you gain with that tight of clearance? To put it in perspective, the thickness of a brown hair (human) is about .003".

A lot of the misconceptions concerning loaded round to neck clearance has it’s origins in the Houston Warehouse Experiments.

As a competitive Benchrest Shooter, I would say ignore all of that. You might be able to get an extreme accuracy combination to shoot some tiny groups in a totally controlled environment that simply does not translate in the real world. We do not shoot Matches in a controlled environment.

The trend in Benchrest in the past years has been to run a little more clearance. Around .0025 loaded round clearance for 6mm and 22, .003 for the short 30’s.

The rifle will agg just as well, and you can avoid any pressure spikes due to insufficient bullet release.

A lot of the misconceptions concerning loaded round to neck clearance has it’s origins in the Houston Warehouse Experiments.

As a competitive Benchrest Shooter, I would say ignore all of that. You might be able to get an extreme accuracy combination to shoot some tiny groups in a totally controlled environment that simply does not translate in the real world. We do not shoot Matches in a controlled environment.

The trend in Benchrest in the past years has been to run a little more clearance. Around .0025 loaded round clearance for 6mm and 22, .003 for the short 30’s.

The rifle will agg just as well, and you can avoid any pressure spikes due to insufficient bullet release.

Actually I should have been more clear. My question relates to shoulder bump.

Actually I should have been more clear. My question relates to shoulder bump.

.001 to .002 should be just right.

As you fire the cases more, you might have adjust your die a tad down to maintain this as the brass tends to work harden in that abused area and refuses to give as much.

For my competition rifles, (30BR, 6PPC), I actually lean more toward .003 to .004 for ease of loading and extraction.

Last edited:
Back