NBRSA rule book

Bro.D

I have the Revised Edition No. #37 official rule book from Sept. 2008. Is this the most recent NBRSA rule book or is there a more recent edition? I'm intereste in knowing what the rules are concerning clamping a block to the bench to keep your front rest from moving. I see people clamping blocks to the bench on the rail guns but never on the varmint guns. The #37 rule book indicates that blocks are not appropriate for the rails. P. 15 "Neither the unlimited rifle nor the unlimited rest/s may contact anything that is affixed or clamped to the bench." Has this rule been recently changed? What about the varmint rifles? In the #37 rule book there is nothing about clamping a block to the banch and pushing against it. What say you?

I say you can't do it but it's not likely that I'll be a referee anytime soon. There is a later paragraph that allows clamping a block in front of an unlimited rest but, as you mentioned, nothing about a a block in the other classes. That's probably because nobody has seen a need for one - until now. I can't imagine going to that kind of trouble given the odds on a front rest moving. Those "Superfeet" seem to be the cat's meow these days....

Two choices:
Submit a rule change to your regional director to address the situation.
Go forth and be the "test pilot" for a varmint class rest block. Do it at the nationals just before the directors meeting for a quick resolution.

The rules about clamping a block to the bench in front of an unlimited gun did change since the #37 book -- I believe at the 2009 meeting. We voted to allow the block in front (and not above) so long as it was not attached to the gun in any way. I use one as a little extra insurance against my rail sliding, but the real story is that if your bench manners bounce your rail, you are not going to get the group you want anyway.

Rod Brown

Rod, I agree about the rail gun but what about blocking a bag guns front rest? I know that the superfeet are to help with this but if someone was in the habbit of pinning a gun pretty hard could blocking the front rest be beneficial? Has anyone tried it and would it be within the rules?

It's not within the rules cause the rules don't mention it. Never saw it done but it is my opinion that somebody would have a hissy fit over it. Nothing ventured, nothing gained! Worst case you could get DQd but prolly not since folks do it with rails - same difference.

Really don't think that's the way to go though. Not in favor these days but a good dead blow hammer can work wonders to keep a rest in place.

Back