NBRSA 1000yd Stock Question

Jerry Reisdorff

NBRSA 1000yd Stock Question

NBRSA Rule 4 state that : 4. There are no stock limitations.

However, the Rest rule

8. Rifles are fired utilizing sandbag front rests, which may be supported on a pedestal that does not co-act with the sandbag to restrict upward and/or rearward movement.

And rule

9. The rear rest is comprised of a sandbag, which may be attached to a pedestal and that supports the rifle between the rear of the pistol grip and the toe of the buttstock.

Does this mean that the F-Class stocks that have the notched butt stock design can’t be used, since it restricts rearward movement????

looks to be ok by the written rules.
it only talks about the front not restricting movement(up).
cannot clamp the sides so tight to prevent upward MOVEMENT.
my 2 cents worth

looks to be ok by the written rules.
it only talks about the front not restricting movement(up).
cannot clamp the sides so tight to prevent upward MOVEMENT.
my 2 cents worth

CMaier - it is not the up movement I am thinking about - it is the movement to the rear. One could place the rear bag so the gun can't move at all.

JR

One could do that with nearly any stock/bag combination.......

Hi alinwa - thanks for the response - But doesn't it violate rule 8. (Rifles are fired utilizing sandbag front rests, which may be supported on a pedestal that does not co-act with the sandbag to restrict upward and/or rearward movement.)

And if it is OK to have this then why not design the front to be this way too - so when shooting free recoil it won't slide off the rest????

Thanks JR

JR -

Besides for the obvious rule infraction to such a restriction, I myself see induced issues to placement of a rear bag in such away:
- Restricting rear movement will almost always lead to increased rifle jump.
- Restricting recoil can hurt both accuracy and tracking alignment, where having free and smooth recoil & tracking increases accuracy.
- Wedging a stock against a bag to restrict recoil, could easily cause bag movement and/or sand shifting as well, which again would reflect poorly to alignment, tracking, and accuracy potential.

Sort to speak, for LR Benchrest I see more negative potentials then I do positives to such a setup.
Donovan

Last edited:
If you held the rifle very tightly it wouldn't move any more than using sandbags to restrict movement. Would also be easier to deal with. I actually tested that which Donovan mentioned at 100 yards and could find no problem with different pressure on the rifle. Shot a couple free recoil and the other three holding the rifle so tightly it was difficult to aim...pretty good group. That said, it was a really good rifle and the difficulty of holding it tightly was stupid so I quit doing that fairly quickly. Actually, the entire test was two targets. One target was shot to try it and another was shot to show Brady Knight what I found. Brady can't back me up so I'll let it go and leave you with this thought...When a shot goes out don't blame your handling of the rifle unless you can't think of anything else to blame.

I'm writing this with zero experience beyond 100 yards and will further say...That just ain't the way it's done!

JR - Besides for the obvious rule infraction to such a restriction, I myself see induced issues to placement of a rear bag in such away:
- Restricting rear movement will almost always lead to increased rifle jump.

Donovan

Donovan - thank you for your response. I agree with you that if you pined the stock it could cause problems - unless it was a dasher rnd with muzzle break. But here is why I asked the question.

I looked at the Manners F-Class stock, and thought that if I buy this stock and set a record with it - would Tom and Don disqualify it based on rule 8 and 9. I was also hoping that someone from NBRSA would say something here since I know they look at this site.

Anyway - based on the rule infraction I can't consider that type of stock.

Thanks Jerry

Donovan - thank you for your response. I agree with you that if you pined the stock it could cause problems - unless it was a dasher rnd with muzzle break. But here is why I asked the question.

I looked at the Manners F-Class stock, and thought that if I buy this stock and set a record with it - would Tom and Don disqualify it based on rule 8 and 9. I was also hoping that someone from NBRSA would say something here since I know they look at this site.

Anyway - based on the rule infraction I can't consider that type of stock.

Thanks Jerry

What Rule infraction? I think you are reading way too far between the lines. Rule 8 applies to the front rest and rule 9 applies to the rear rest. Furthermore, the shooter that positions the bag tightly against the pistol grip so that it restricts rear movement probably will not have to worry about a world record. There are other stock designs that have the grip slightly extended below the butt that have never been ruled illegal.
Then again, I'm no authority and I wouldn't pick the MCS stock myself for completely different reasons. The preferred F class design is just not everything that a regular Benchrest shooter would look for.

OK - I am interested in hearing what you don't like about that stock? It's too expensive to get one and let it sit in the corner.

JR

It's not that I dislike the stock, It looks to be a really nicely made item. Even though F Open Class is a form of benchrest, shooting prone raises issues with more traditional stocks that the new F class designs address. Most sitting BR shooters view through the scope without touching the stock with their cheek, so a lower comb for sitting. The Manners stocks have a 3.49 inch wide forend which requires an odd size bag and even a new top for some rests. Not really needed for Dasher shooters although wider forends do handle torque much better. The stock is extra long to handle very long barrels, but you if you want to shorten it, you can't ( or you probably shouldn't).

I just finished putting a dasher together using a McMillan Edge with a straightline butt. It may actually be too short even for a 26" barrel. I really lean toward laminated wood stocks because I can cut them down to just about whatever length, comb height, etc. that I want.
This just my preference for a light gun. If I decide to build an F Open, I would look at both the McMillan and the Manners F Class stocks. For laminated wood I like the Precision Rifle and Tool. They make both an F Class and Benchrest style.

Last edited:
Back