N133 vs H322 in 50 degree temp swings

goodgrouper

tryingtobeabettergrouper
Where I live in Utah, I am blessed (cursed) to have some of the largest temperature swings imaginable this time of the year due to our very low humidity here. It's generally not much above 30%. I say cursed because the amount of clothing you have to take around everywhere is a pain but mainly because it's hard to tune guns in when the temp can swing 50+ degrees like it did today. It's a blessing in that it makes for some really good experiment opportunities.

In the canyon close to my home, there is a spot where I shoot where the sun won't reach me until 10:00 in the morning and the overnight cold air settles in for a brisk start to the day. Upon arrival this morning at 6:00 a.m., the humidity was 33% and temperature was 34 degrees! There was frost on the grass and my breath would hang in the air long enough to obscure my view through my headlamp light.

I began to set up the windflags, targets, reloading gear, and my Oehler 35 chronograph. The wind was about 3 mph and swirling around.

I began the experiment shooting several loads of N133 and recording the speeds, the deviations, and the group sizes at about 7:00 a.m. The temp at this time actually dropped to 33 degrees. I began with 53 clicks and ran it all the way up to 55 clicks. I found two distinct windows where the groups were best and the deviations (coincidentally?) were also smallest. One at the bottom end and one at the top end. I also noted that the load .3 grain above and .3 grain below the optimum shot pretty decent and also had small deviations. When the loads were shot outside the node windows, the numbers got bad both in group size and deviations.

Then I switched the powder in the hopper to H322 and did the same thing only with less clicks due to the faster burn rate of H322. I ran a ladder from 50 clicks to 52 clicks. I noted that it too had two nodes, one high and one low. However, the best accuracy in the upper node had only the second best deviations. The lowest deviation load shot a group .030" bigger but both were under 15 fps. I also noted that the node window was much narrower with H322. The low end node would not shoot near as good of groups or deviations .3 grain above or below the "sweet spot". I feel I had a pretty good handle on the situation as far as groups were concerned as the wind was still easy to cope with at a little breeze of 2-3 mph.

Anyhow, the best load for both powders as far as group size and numbers was in the upper node and it yielded a nice .180" for the H322 and .195" for N133. Interestingly enough, the velos for these groups in the freezing weather was 3401 and 3413 respectively. So it seemed that no matter the powder used, this particular barrel shot the best around this velocity give or take 12 fps at this temperature.

After a warmup and a nap in the truck, I set up some new targets and moved my reloading bench into the shade. It was now quarter to 10:00 and the thermometer said it was 65 degrees. I prepped some cases, and b.s'ed a bit with some other shooters that had shown up and by 11:30 the temp was at 75 degrees and climbing quick. So I threw the N133 back in the hopper and re-ran the same ladder doing nothing different and recorded the velos.

By the end of the N133 ladder, the temp gauge said it was 83 degrees--a swing of 50 degrees!! The wind or breeze actually had died completely off by this time but a touch of mirage had set in.

Looking at the velocities, the N133 had gone up very in speed very uniformly and equated to about 1 foot per second for every 1 degree increase. The best load was now shooting at 3451 and the group actually shrank to a .177".

Then it was time for H322.
The temp was holding steady at 84 degrees and the conditions were beautiful. I ran the same ladder and was surprised to see that H322 also increased it's velocities very uniformly and about 1 foot per second per degree. The velocity deviations on the load also remained at about the same levels going from 11 to 16. But again, the sweet spot was narrow with this powder and a click above or below dramatically increased the group size and the deviations. But the sweet spot again yeilded a slightly smaller group than N133 which measured .152"

CONCLUSION:
N133 and H322 velocities increase very similarly to one another at about 1 foot per second per degree. However, the N133 provided slightly better deviations and gave better accuracy above and below the "sweet spot". H322 would shoot slightly smaller groups when the sweet spot was reached, but it was much easier to get bumped out of tune. In other words, it was less forgiving.

Both powders increased about .30 fps per .3 grain increase of powder and showed very similar pressure curves although H322 was decidedly faster in burn rate because same velos were attained with several grains less powder.

Now for the second experiment: Volume in temp swings.

While my powder thrower was in the shade for loading the ammo used in the first half of the day, I decided to load a few round of N133 with the bare hopper in the sun, then with the hopper in the sun with a white sock over it.
I compared the velos to the velos attained in 83 degree weather with the hopper in the shade. The gun was to remain in the shade to keep the comparison fair.
The results were the velo DROPPED about 40 fps when the powder was thrown from the bare hopper in the sun and they DROPPED 10 fps when the white sock was on the hopper. I can only assume that the reason for the drop was the sun heated up the kernels of powder and the thrower threw less powder by weight because of the increase of volume. Very interesting. Unfortunately, I did not have my scale with me to see what the difference in weight was from shade to sun but I will have something else to test next time at the range!:eek:

FWIW!

THANKS, for the valuable information.

PLEASE inform us of the difference in powder weights.

Really excellent work. You wrote that you got .30 FPS increase for .3 gr. powder increase. Was the decimal in front of the velocity change a typo? Did you mean 30?

N133 VS h322 in 50 degree temp swings

there should be more of this type informatin in PS magazine
This sure will be handy to some shooters thank you""'

Really excellent work. You wrote that you got .30 FPS increase for .3 gr. powder increase. Was the decimal in front of the velocity change a typo? Did you mean 30?

Thanks guys.
Boyd,
Yes, that was a typo. I meant 30 fps. I should have also mentioned this was the gain in the freezing temps only. When the temps got around 65 degrees and above, the velo increased to around 40 fps per .3 grain with the hopper in the shade.

Last edited:
N133/H322 comparison

I live in Jax,Fla so we don't have the temp swings you describe. Ours are generally 20-30 degree(F). I read read your article w/ great interest and really appreciate your very time consuming effort. I now have more to consider. I shoot H322 and my brother shoots N133 in our 6PPC's. We have been shooting our 6's about a year. Thank you very much. This info is something we can really use.

goodgrouper

Was the H322 the newer extreme version? I would also like to see how much less the extreme 322 velocity varies with a 50 deg. temp. increase as compared to an older lot of non-extreme 322.

Michael

I still have some scotish 322 un-opened cans, might just do a comparison.
can't match that temp swing though. Maybe 30- 60Farenheight

Boiling it Down

Great piece of work.

So If you boil it down here is what I got from the post.

The subject powders increase velocity 1 FPS per Degree
The sweet Spot moved with the temp and velocity
.3gr equals 30FPS
SD better at some loads.

There are things about the sport and science that baffle me, why would powder and primers burn more consistantly at one load better than just a few grandules larger or smaller load. This is totally independant from barrel harmonics which is important. In the case of .1 gr. of N133 it is 3 or 4 grandules, or twice that for .2 gr, not very much. So why does a node burn and throw the bullet more consistantly?

Secondly the lower SD also comes and goes on a reqular cycle is that correct? and if so why?

Stewart

Great piece of work.

So If you boil it down here is what I got from the post.

The subject powders increase velocity 1 FPS per Degree
The sweet Spot moved with the temp and velocity
.3gr equals 30FPS
SD better at some loads.

There are things about the sport and science that baffle me, why would powder and primers burn more consistantly at one load better than just a few grandules larger or smaller load. This is totally independant from barrel harmonics which is important. In the case of .1 gr. of N133 it is 3 or 4 grandules, or twice that for .2 gr, not very much. So why does a node burn and throw the bullet more consistantly?

Secondly the lower SD also comes and goes on a reqular cycle is that correct? and if so why?

Stewart

The science of combustion of a solid to a gas in a confined space with differing pressure curves gets really techical as one might imagine. But the results are easy to see with the right tools. Why one charge produces big deviation and the next one might not is hard to understand but as long as you know it exists, you know enough.

Combustion can be looked at seperately from barrel harmonics and it can be studied tied together. Some good groups (at close range) can be had with large deviations so the barrel harmonics are more important than speed deviations in this instance. However, I tend to think that loads that have low deviations are indicating a good combustion and might produce better results day in and day out even though a large sd load might produce better groups on one individual day. In this particular test, the accuracy nodes did come from the loads with the smaller standard deviations with both powders in both temp extremes. Something to scratch the old noggin over!

As for the cycles of standard deviations, I have noticed sometimes there is "cycle" and sometimes not. Some powders in some cartridges have single digit deviations no matter what charge is used. And others have a low end (low pressure) sweet spot and then a high end one as well with large deviatons inbetween. Then some powders in some cartridges NEVER have a good standard deviation no matter what charge you use!

Last edited:
Was the H322 the newer extreme version? I would also like to see how much less the extreme 322 velocity varies with a 50 deg. temp. increase as compared to an older lot of non-extreme 322.

Michael

It was the new extreme stuff that I used.

What do you think about loading for lowest SD and then using a tuner from there?

That could work very well but I don't know for sure. The only tuner I have used is a Browning Boss and I worked up a load for it that shot well and had a low deviation at "x" setting, then I tweaked the Boss until the groups got even smaller.

Then about 6 months ago, I worked up a load for another Boss equipped gun and did the same thing for it only this time, when I tweaked the Boss for smaller groups, the standard deviation on the load went from low numbers to over 20 fps! This was one instance and does not make sense to me but all the other variables had been accounted for so it had to be the tuner that changed the deviations. More testing is in order. I would really like to mess around with deviations and tuners on a custom ppc but nobody I know uses one around these parts.

Great info

Goodgrouper
im new to benchrest this is my 1st year i have been working up some loads of n-322 and v-133 this info and hard work is very helpful to someone like me thank you bill

H322 testing...

Recent testing w/ H322 in a 6PPC. Using 68gn Bergers,Lapua brass,.260" nk bshng,F205's,"just" touching. Temp=73F,Humid=93-94%. 27.2gn=3039fps,sd=6. 27.4gn=3067fps,sd=7. 27.6gn=3097,sd=6. Barrel is 20.5" Shilen on Shilen action. Approx 30fps/.2gn of H322. gpoldblue

Thank you for doing this very interesting testing. I have also observed temp-related velocity swings with Hodgdon Extreme powders (H4895 and Varget), but in the 6BR cartridge. Certainly you have provided convincing evidence that temp affects velocity.

I was fascinated by the effect of sun exposure on the powder measure (resulting in reduced velocity). If you have a chance to repeat the process it would be interesting, as you suggested, to weigh the charges. I'm wondering if the solar heating caused the metal in the measure to expand slightly, and that might be responsible for the low charge. Or maybe it is just the effect of heating the powder. Who knows?

It would also be interesting to pre-load 40 rounds (all with same charge, weighed, and loaded in the same conditions), shoot them at different times of the day, and see if they also exhibited 1 fps vel increase per 1 degree temp increase.

I have always wondered whether observed phenomenon of "gun going out of tune" is actually partly a result of the thrown charges varying due to environmental effects on the powder measure itself.

I think what an additional test that would be interesting, with either or both powders, would be to test throughout a wide temp swing day, adjusting the load back into tune (with powder alone) as you went, and recording both the measure setting and charge weight. Has anyone done this?

As to Yo's question about the possible source of weight variations of thrown charges due to changes in temperature, I think that possibly warming the measure with a blow drier and then quickly adding powder and throwing charges, and then doing the same thing after chilling the measure to just above the dew point (for the room's temp./humidity, to avoid condensation on the metal parts) would together give some, if not a perfect indication of what was going on.

Additionally, one could warm and chill the powder, and leave the measure temperature at room temp.

I realize that in both cases there would be some influence, by the varied component, on the component that one was attempting to hold constant, but I also think that something useful could be learned by looking at the data produced.

Last edited:
Goodgrouper - this is excellent work. I re-read your post, but could not find the answer to the question: how did the "sweet spots" vary in terms of clicks vs. temp? That is, how much, if any, did the nodes (as defined by the click setting where the best groups were obtained) shift as temperatures increased? The answer may have been in your fine post.

Jeff

Last edited:
Back