My old 1917 Enfield custom

Butch Lambert

2zz48xx.jpg

zv5uzt.jpg

ifrj9j.jpg

23k7kac.jpg

It is a 416 Rigby for the infestation of Texas grey squirrels.

That is beauteous! I hope you ain't planning on eatin them squirrels after being hit with that! Of course, head shots would be OK.

Bark them squirrels!

No Wayne, you do like Daniel Boone did and "bark" 'em off the branch by hitting below them. Except with the .416, you just aim at the trunk and every squirrel in the tree dies from the shock.

Beautiful piece, Butch. A real work of art.

A treat for the eye!

Thank you for sharing the magnificent wood and metal work of yesteryear.

Ted

Butch,
Beautiful. Please post a picture of the other side. I'd like to see how you handled the safety & bolt handle.
Regards,
Ron

It may be a week or 2 before I receive it. James Anderson in South Dakota did a lot of the metal work and the stock. The checkering person will remain anonymous as he requested. I wanted flat top checkering as the old English rifles had. I conversed with a great deal of custom checkering people and none would touch it. Nick Hughes in Oklahoma did the scope bases, receiver surface grind, scope rings, and bolt handle. James did the chambering, extended tangs, quarter rib, and the rest of the metal work and rust blue.
I'll post a pic of the rear tang reshaping and set up in a wood jig for tig welding.

2d7eiq0.jpg

I have no photos of the RH side at this time.

Nat and Mike, you guys are moving up the list. You know that I have several sons, grand children, and a little princess great granddaughter.

Absolutely impeccable!!! That flat top checkering is flawless--- very hard to do!

Mine pales in comparison to yours Butch, but the 416 bug bit me last year. I built this 416 Taylor on a Mauser 98 (CZ-24) and really like it. It's very basic, and very all-weather. The barrel is a Shilen, trigger by Timney, and the glass is 2.5X Leupold. It shoots pretty well.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

Last edited:
Thanks Butch. We made the bolt handle ourselves from scratch. The magazine, floor plate, and trigger guard are original Mauser. The action received Mahovsky's Metalife and the SS Shilen got the same so things would match.

Please provide updates on your Rigby.....my jaw is still dropped after those photos.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

Back