My new rifle and bullet seating depth.

old_dood

I went out today for the first time with my new Savage 12BR (6mmbr). I loaded 50 rounds with 30.5gr of Varget and 50 with 29gr VV135. All I varied was seating depth. My best groups were 1/2" at 100 yds at +.005 and -.010 with both powders. Does that seem likely? I'm new to reloading and would like to know if the bast seating depth is the same for any powder one uses. Is it usually possible to have more than one "best" seating depth?

what bullets are you using and what is your barrel twist ?

I use 33.5gr N135 behind 65-70gr bullets in a 13.5 twist barrel 6BR

Now take the two "1/2 inch loads" and test them head-to-head :)

5 groups of 5 shots. Write your results down.

al

It's not unusual

Nothing is unusual. Anything you know will be found incorrect at some point. Enjoy the day at hand as tomorrow will be different.

You had 1/2 inch groups with different loads and seating depths. Pretty much answers your question in itself. "Saw it with your own eyes" as they say.

Try

My advice would be, not to bring two many loads and different seating depths to the benck at once. Pic one of your best groups, w/either powder, go up on the charge (safely, small increments .2gr @ time. Pic the best of these loads , then adjust seating depth. I would also suggest shooting @ 200 on a good day. Record all results for comparison. Seems to work easier for me, when working up a load. Just an opinion.,,, HFVavage 12BR (6mmbr). I loaded 50 rounds with 30.5gr of Varget and 50 with 29gr VV135. All I varied was seating depth. My best groups were 1/2" at 100 yds at +.005 and -.010 with both powders. Does that seem likely? I'm new to reloading and would like to know if the bast seating depth is the same for any powder one uses. Is it usually possible to have more than one "best" seating depth?[/QUOTE]

One old Dood to another

I went out today for the first time with my new Savage 12BR (6mmbr). I loaded 50 rounds with 30.5gr of Varget and 50 with 29gr VV135. All I varied was seating depth. My best groups were 1/2" at 100 yds at +.005 and -.010 with both powders. Does that seem likely? I'm new to reloading and would like to know if the bast seating depth is the same for any powder one uses. Is it usually possible to have more than one "best" seating depth?
\

We sometimes expect our brand new Rifles to shoot small groups,right out of the box. Why? Because its a love relationship with a brand new toy. Fact is, what you saw on the target is fairly typical for a first time trip to the range with a brand new factory rifle. I've shot 1/2" groups, at 100yds, with my precision built Benchrest Rifle(6PPC) loaded with proven ammunition. I can usually trace this lack of performance to the shooter, the wind, scope or some other unidentified variable. Some of these variables are actually unintentionally built into a Factory Rifle. The fun part of owning any rifle is figuring out what makes it shoot the best.

If you're new to reloading,I assume that you already have a reloading manual for the 6BR. Experiment with different combinations,Bullets/powder/seating,etc. I,m confident that you will find a combination that you're happy with. In the mean time, be safe and enjoy your new toy.

Glenn

Hello dude..You are new but please get some tips about the guns because its necessary part for you..How much bullet is fired with in one minute?What is the range of your bullet target?

i have a couple of 6br's one wasnt enough. my 12 twist shoots 80gr fowlers and bergers really well with 32 gr Varget and into the lands .015.

i agree with the above suggestion work with one powder and bullet at a time. i think you will see the group tighten up as you go into the higher velocity node. then work on seating depth

"Hello dude..You are new but please get some tips about the guns because its necessary part for you..How much bullet is fired with in one minute?What is the range of your bullet target?"

SAY WHAT?????? Lee

Back