Muzzle Break Design

Curious

Guys,

Im looking to make a muzzle brake for a 600/1000 yard bench rest light gun in 6.5x47.

Ive never made a muzzle brake before, I see the pepper pot style and also others. Is there any info out there regarding what if any types have a detrimental effect on accuracy and what dont, best shapes and sizes etc?

Many thanks for any help.

Fwiw

Guys,

Im looking to make a muzzle brake for a 600/1000 yard bench rest light gun in 6.5x47.

Ive never made a muzzle brake before, I see the pepper pot style and also others. Is there any info out there regarding what if any types have a detrimental effect on accuracy and what dont, best shapes and sizes etc?

Many thanks for any help.

The best design out there for the small cartridge you are looking at is the Vais brake. I have had many of them and the Vais is efficient, and gives the most recoil reduction for the smaller cartridges. And it is NOT as violently loud as some of the others.

David

Muzzle Brakes

Hello, I have built four from scratch, just copies of others. I also have used Harrell's and PTG muzzle brakes all have worked about the same, however some are prettier than others. If you google there is alot of info. If you have a mill with an indexer you can knock one out fairly quick (couple hours).

if you plan to shoot IBS remember to check the rules on brakes but in all said and done you can buy a Harrell's cheaper than you can make one if you count your time.
I never found a Vias to be any better than a Harrell's except it cost five times as much......... Jim

As far as I know most muzzle brakes on the market work as advertise, they reduce recoil. Some slightly more than others but the end result is generally the same.

Some design will help with the muzzle climb and allow for better follow up shots.

Shop around and do some research and when you decide on a type of brake you like do some shopping and you will be surprise by the spread in prices (from affordable to crazy expensive) for the same type of brakes out there.

Some good reading here:
http://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/06/24/muzzle-brakes-field-test/

GST

As far as I know most muzzle brakes on the market work as advertise, they reduce recoil. Some slightly more than others but the end result is generally the same.

Some design will help with the muzzle climb and allow for better follow up shots.

Shop around and do some research and when you decide on a type of brake you like do some shopping and you will be surprise by the spread in prices (from affordable to crazy expensive) for the same type of brakes out there.

Some good reading here:
http://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/06/24/muzzle-brakes-field-test/

GST

+1 on the precision rifle blog article(s) - very informative!

Both NBRSA and IBS allow muzzle brakes in Light Gun as long as none of the blast is directed in a rearward direction.

With the multitude of top quality muzzle brakes that can be bought at a reasonable price, building one is difficult to justify. And I say that as someone who owns a Machine Shop.

For 30$ you can buy a harrels and finish machine it for whatever bore size you desire. There is no way you can make a muzzle brake for any less money. Harrels brakes work extremely well. and like i said, they are a steal. I use the heck out of them!!
Vias brakes are ok, but they cost around 125$ the Harrels version that works just as well cost 30$ I love them! Lee

Back