Muzzle Brakes and noise reduction - is it real

A good silencer that has enough volume to collect a large amount of gas will reduce the rocket effect at the muzzle and the ammount of sound wave pressure that goes out at the same time .
Most small silencers only muffle the sound waves somewhat and do little to reduce the rocket effect.

Originally Posted by Montana Pete
This is a different question.

The simple answer to the guy's question is that a muzzle brake will reduce the felt recoil, but increase the loudness of the report.

Whether anyone wants to attach a silencer is a totally separate issue.

Furthermore, I am pretty certain a silencer and a muzzle brake could not work together.

I will stick with what I said. People are mixing up silencers and muzzle brakes.

I will stick with what I said. People are mixing up silencers and muzzle brakes.

And I'll stick by what I said. A silencer IS a muzzle brake. And is basicaly the only kind that will reliably reduce the noise to the shooter, which is what the original post was refering to.

Last edited:
Rick...

...do you think my TAC67 is stout enough for a .22mag??

I have had a couple of guys in the know tell me yes but I would hate to hurt it as it's stamped for 22lr only. Don't have the coin for another purchase right now & really want to play.

For you guys that are considering one, you have not lived till you shoot an accurate .22 rimfire w/ a can and Eley sub sonic hollow points.

pf
<><

From wikipedia on Silencers.

There are many benefits with suppressors on military rifles. Suppressors can increase the precision of a rifle, as they strip away hot gases from around the projectile in a uniform fashion. The suppressor can reduce the recoil significantly as it traps the escaping gas. This gas mass is a little less than one-half the projectile mass (approximately 1.6 grams vs 4 grams for NATO 5.56x45 mm ammunition), with the gas exiting the muzzle at about twice the projectile's velocity, thus giving a reduction in the felt recoil of approximately 15%.[citation needed] The added weight of the suppressor - normally 300 to 500 grams - also contributes to the reduction of the recoil, though a significantly heavy suppressor would unbalance a weapon. Further, the pressure against the face of each baffle is higher than the pressure on its reverse side, making each baffle a miniature "hydraulic ram" which pulls the suppressor forward on the weapon, which can contribute an immense force to counter recoil.

Some manufacturer data suggests that suppressors can reduce a rifle's recoil by over 60%.[citation needed] The suppressor also has the often-neglected benefit of reducing muzzle flash by as much as 90%.[citation needed]

From wikipedia on Muzzle brakes

Muzzle brakes are simple in concept. One of the simplest designs can be found on U.S. 90 mm tank guns. This consists of a small length of tubing mounted at right angles to the end of the barrel. Brakes most often utilize slots, vents, holes, baffles, and similar devices to redirect and control the burst of combustion gases that follows the departure of a projectile. Another method, called porting involves ports or holes in the barrel near the muzzle that vent gas prior to the departure of the bullet.

A third method involves slowing the departure of combustion gases rather than redirection. Slowing of the gases is the method used on suppressors and linear compensators[11]. In conventional designs, combustion gases depart the brake at an angle to the bore. This counteracts the rearward movement of the barrel due to recoil as well as the upward rise of the muzzle. The effect can be compared to reverse thrust systems on aircraft jet engines. The mass and velocity of the gases is significant enough to move the firearm in the opposite direction of recoil. On the AKM assault rifle, the brake is angled slightly to the right to counteract the sideways movement of the gun under recoil.

So this would suggest as alinwa stated suppressors and muzzle brakes are one and the same depending on the method used for braking, also one is a BATF regulated device the other isnt.

Al and Vibe, I totally agree with you.

Last edited:
I refer you to the book by Craig Boddington, "Make it Accurate." This man is editor of Guns & Ammo magazine. He has written a dozen books on firearms and related subjects.

I refer you to his comments on porting and muzzle brakes. He writes at one point about Mag Na Port, one of the leading products in this subject area.

He writes that the increased blast and shock for shooters on the firing line next to a person using porting explains why many ranges will not allow these products. He has damaged his hearing from being next to muzzle-brake shooters on the line.

I think this thread is getting downright silly. First of all, suppressors are illegal. They are silencers. A suppressor cannot make all that inertia from hot gasses at many thousands of PSI to simply disappear. It does not send it to another dimension.

I frankly suggest you read Boddington's book.

We all see some postings on these sites that are just . . . well, I won't say it.

Good manners, good manners.

Yo Pete,

Suppressors are not illegal.

Suppressors absolutely DO reduce recoil tremendously....

Citing Craig Boddington on anything other than hunting subjects is weak.

Be careful where you get'cher info, folks here KNOW Craig personally.

Yup, suppressors are "silencers"... ya' got that one right. ;)

Suppressors are controlled, because we're apathetic.

And because some of us are stupid enough to buy into the idea that "like machine guns they SHOULD be controlled!!"

pathetic

al

Bummer...

First of all, suppressors are illegal. They are silencers.

...do you think the govt. will give me back my $200?? I guess the County Sherriff who signed off on my paper work knows nothing of this??

I wonder if govt. is aware that SWR makes a cool little suppressor I would like to get for my threaded / Shilen bbl 22mag??

http://www.swrmfg.com/ProductDetails.asp?ID=22

Come on Pete...research before you post.

pf
<><

Al...

Yo Pete,

Suppressors are not illegal.

Suppressors absolutely DO reduce recoil tremendously....

Citing Craig Boddington on anything other than hunting subjects is weak.

Be careful where you get'cher info, folks here KNOW Craig personally.

Yup, suppressors are "silencers"... ya' got that one right. ;)

Suppressors are controlled, because we're apathetic.

And because some of us are stupid enough to buy into the idea that "like machine guns they SHOULD be controlled!!"

pathetic

al

...please correct me if I am wrong here, but doesn't suppressor work just like your car muffler??

If you stood next to your car w/ no muffler, you can kinda feel the ground shake & would need ear plugs, right??

Replace the muffler & it reduces noise and felt vibration (or recoil)

Trying to figure out an easy way for the light to come on for those not understanding how it reduces felt recoil.

Hope this is on target.

pf
<><

quite muzzel brakes

tyr the one that brownell sells called opps i shot a 308 with one and could not beleive it ,no lauder than without muzzel brake but stop recoil dead

a guy from fort benning had one so i know it works because we didnt use hearing pertection

Hmmmm, kman might be right. This one claims to be no louder than unbraked, FOR THE SHOOTER, which would fill the bill. I don't actually see it being quiet but hey....... maybe?

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=6669&title=QUIET+MUZZLE+BRAKE

And HERE http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=7684&title=R3E2C MUZZLE BRAKE Brownells lists the Ops Inc which kman references...... again, claims to be quiet.

I can't comment on these because I don't KNOW that they work as advertised..... the suppressor I know DOES ;)

LOL

al

Missloumudcat: Another thing to consider, IF, you are considering a muzzle brake for your factory/hybrid Rifle - is this - every muzzle braked Rifle I have fired from a prone position afield has, at the shot, sucked up so much dirt and dust from the ground under the muzzle brake that it has obscured the sight picture of my scope!
Making it impossible for me to see the point of impact of my bullets!
This occurs even on my 223 heavy Varminter with muzzle brake.
NEVER fire or stand anywhere near a Rifle that is equipped with a muzzle brake without excellent hearing protection in use!
I was laying prone, 3 feet behind my Hunting partner a couple years back as he was shooting a 7x7 Bull Elk with his "braked" 338/378 Weatherby!
I had no hearing protection in place.
I had a headache for 24 hours after his shot and diminished hearing and ringing in my ears for more than 48 hours!
I, personally, would never again spend money on a muzzle brake for a Rifle.
And the Rifles I have fired with suppressors (silencers) on them do nothing to suppress (silence) the noise to the Rifles bullets breaking the sound barrier!
This amounts to a lot of noise still!
I have NEVER seen (or heard!) a Rifle fitted with a muzzle brake that diminished the noise made by the Rifle as compared to other Rifles of the same caliber!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

They do work VG...not sure how you say do nothing??

And the Rifles I have fired with suppressors (silencers) on them do nothing to suppress (silence) the noise to the Rifles bullets breaking the sound barrier!
This amounts to a lot of noise still!
I have NEVER seen (or heard!) a Rifle fitted with a muzzle brake that diminished the noise made by the Rifle as compared to other Rifles of the same caliber!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

....I have shot lots of semi & fully auto centerfire with my LEO buddies. An AR-M16 with and without are HUGE?? You can go onto almost any web site of the mfg of these cans and it gives you the actual db reduction rating with and without them installed. Silencertalk.com also has a list of cans they test too independently so you can make an informed decision on what brand for a particular cal.

The sound barrior crack is there but loosing the muzzle flash I thought made a huge difference from my on hand experience.

I still say the funnest are 22lr w/ sub sonic ammo.....just a hoot.

pf
<><

Back