Muzzle Brakes and Harmonics

Had some free time today so I put the barrel in the lathe, in 4 jaw and spider. Dialed the front and back to less than 0.0005" runout on the lands.

Put the brake on the rifle and it had a runout of 0.0025". Not sure how much that would affect the bullet, that is not much. I did rebore it to a perfect 0 runout.

Now, as I mentioned earlier I believed that damn scope is to blame for the crazy shift, I will refinish the rifle put it back together and take it to the range with a brand new scope.

Cheers

GST

I recently threaded the barrel on a Savage Axis rifle in 243 for my neighbor. He installed a suppressor for hunting coyotes and sighted it in. He decided he didn't like it and took it off. I went hunting with him and he missed an easy shot at a coyote. I asked him if he had re-sighted it in after removing the can. He said that he had not. It turned out to be 13" high at 100 yards without the can on. I don't know how well the rifle groups now that we have done this. I don't know how well it shot before to be honest. Point is, it CAN make a big difference.

Back