Mod 70 and the Brux bbl

Worker

Some one on this forum once said a Win Mod 70 is good for MOA at best because of its design. Mine stock from the factory in 270 WSM on its very best day could produce an occasional MOA for 3 shots until the bbl slightly warmed up. But since I had it re-barreled with a 26" Brux in 7mmWSM . Shooting the Hornady 139gr SST in front of 69grs of RE#19 . Producing 3300 fps I'm getting under 1/4" at 100yds and under 1/2 at 200yds. Barrel and re chamber job along with Muzzle brake cost $800.00 . Best money ever spent on a rifle.

That's impressive results. If it were mine I'd unscrew the brake and take it to a local BR clubmatch with a couple of wet towels, a bottle of Excedrin,a Past recoil shield and recoup some of your wise investment.

Some one on this forum once said a Win Mod 70 is good for MOA at best because of its design.

There have been a lot of things said about Model 70s by guys who never shot them enough to know.

I have had several Pre-64 M70s that were consistently under MOA, but some of them needed action and barrel bedding help to get there. Plus, in days gone by there were many target rifles built on M70 actions by guys like Roy Dunlap that were High Power winners. The M70 actions can't compete with their rivals in the benchrest game but they certainly can be the basis for accurate big game and varmint rifles, and some of them are truly sub MOA rifles.

Preferred Action...

There have been a lot of things said about Model 70s by guys who never shot them enough to know.

I have had several Pre-64 M70s that were consistently under MOA, but some of them needed action and barrel bedding help to get there. Plus, in days gone by there were many target rifles built on M70 actions by guys like Roy Dunlap that were High Power winners. The M70 actions can't compete with their rivals in the benchrest game but they certainly can be the basis for accurate big game and varmint rifles, and some of them are truly sub MOA rifles.

The post 64 "pusher" type Winchester action is still the preferred action by many "High Power" shooters because of its quick and smooth operation during the rapid fire stages.

virg

I was so delighted with my 1st 6 Dasher bbl. on a Nesika K action that I sent an old (1973 vintage) M70 sporter in 243 off to the same 'smith to be fitted with another Krieger Dasher bbl. Bedded in a surplus H-S Prec. Laredo stock, it shot very nearly as well as the Nesika at 600yds. We're talking 600yd groups with under 2" of vertical here.....I don't know that I'd use this bbl'd action in a point-blank BR match, even if I had a BR stock for it, but I don't buy into talk that M70s aren't as accurate as a M700.

BRUX barrels are great! The bores are straight and the cut rifling is just top notch. The guys there are also super to deal with. I've bought 3 so far and am plotting my next purchase even as we speak!

Guys, Im gonna brag again. Just got a new FN mod. 70 in 3006 the other day. Its all stock. Put a 4x12 leupold on. Got the barrel broke in. Loaded some 150 ssts and 4064. Shot a .3 in. group 3 shot. If I knew how to send pictures I would. I didnt believe it either. Ive shot worse groups with my 6 ppc. It was probably a fluke but it happened once. That free float barrel really helps over those pre 64s. I love pre 64s but some of these new ones will shoot. Doug

I started this thread . My Mod 70 shoots great because of Brux bbl and experinced gun smith who trued up the action . He did say it wasn't to bad to start with. BUT when I bought the rifle it was an off the shelf Mod 70 classic in 270 WSM. It was average for 3 or 4 shots and then it would throw the rest.IT was bad,regreted buying it. However once I bought a Rem 700 Varmint in 22-250 and that one was bad bad also. Any thing off the shelf there is a risk of it being a lemon.

some will, and some wont shoot out of the box. my own mod70 270WSM's first 5 shot group ever was .330", and if you allow time for that skinny barrel to cool, it is very consistantly under a 1/2" rifle (if you heat it up, it opens groups signifigantly). mines bone stock except for a trigger adjustment and bedding touch up, but some folks wouldnt believe it unless they see it happen.

This thread gives me hope. we are about to rebarrel my 1968 M70 from .243 with a new shilen SS .22 cal barrel into .22-250 AI. All i ask for is 1/2" MOA.

You're assuming that there will be a major spread in group size, like groups in the 0.2's and groups in the 0.8's..? I'm looking to keep groups running between the 0.4's and 0.6's. I think (hope) that is within reason. If it don't work out, then oh well. I think it can be done.

Gonna have to see though. Will stoke up the lathe tomorrow if all works out.

Back