Mixing different lots of the same powder

B

broadside

Can any of you folks tell me if it s completely safe and beneficial to mix different lot numbers of the same powder. For example, due to the shortage of H4198, I've only been able to find a few 1 lb cans. When I load enough for a shoot, I always have some left over. I can either load a few bullets for the next match and then switch lot numbers or I was thinking about taking all my H4198 one pound containers and combining them in order to get consistent loads. Anyone here do that?

Can any of you folks tell me if it s completely safe and beneficial to mix different lot numbers of the same powder. For example, due to the shortage of H4198, I've only been able to find a few 1 lb cans. When I load enough for a shoot, I always have some left over. I can either load a few bullets for the next match and then switch lot numbers or I was thinking about taking all my H4198 one pound containers and combining them in order to get consistent loads. Anyone here do that?

I have been mixing different lots of the same powder for 50+ years. No problems whatsoever.

Next time you buy 1 lb. containers, look to see how many you can find with the same lot number, or ask the sales person if there is a case of 1 lb. containers that hasn't been put on the shelf yet. Before I started buying in bulk, I could often find 5 to 6 1 lb. containers of the same lot, sitting right on the shelf. Using the same lot prevents having to work up a new load, which is what should be done upon changes in lot, especially if you're competing. When I have a small portion of a lot left over that doesn't match anything I have on hand, I save it for fire forming.

Back