Mike Lucas Bore Guide

C

Curtrud

I am a new rifle owner so I will like to some information please. Want is the correct way to use mike's bore guide. I have the basic, insert the bore guide,want I am not sure of is if I insert the small piece into the guide then the solvent port is blocked with the small piece. How do I get the solvent onto the patches with out making a mess.Will the solvent run onto the patch after the piece is inserted or do you put the solvent onto the patch before you push the piece into the guide.Anyone with the correct instructions on the use of the guide for start to finish. Thanks

How about Mike's email address? I need to get one on order..

You put the insert on the cleaning rod and after you start the patch you slid the insert in the guide to keep it straight. Steve

I had the instruction from Mike but I did not understand one thing. And that was that the small piece had to go onto the roll before the brush or jag.His E-Mail address is lucasmjb@windstream.net. The bore guide rod is a master piece of work and I am looking forward to using it.

I appreciated the replies and I am use that I will want more bore guides in the future.. Thanks to everyone and have a good day

Last edited by a moderator:
I am having trouble reading these posts, I'm not sure if anyone answered the original question so here it is.

By the way, Mike Lucas makes a great set of rod guides, and cleaning rod caddies. We have many of his products and will continue to use his, since we have seen no better product line. Mike is a great guy to shoot with too.

The best way is to buy the Mike Lucas with solvent port and two inserts. This way one insert can go on each rod. One rod for brush, one rod for jag. Put one insert on the brush rod, then install the brush on that rod. you never take that insert off. Put the rod away for now in Mikes cleaning rod caddie that you also bought. Get the other rod out, put the other insert on that rod, and then install the jag on that rod. And set that rod asside. Now with your rifle in your cleaning cradle, install the rod guide in the action so that the "O" ring fits into the chamber area and the solvent port is up. The "O" ring keeps excess solvent from getting out of the chamber end of the barrel while you are cleaning. Now pick up the jag rod, and pierce a patch on the jag and just start it into the rodguide, until the patch is visible in the solvent port, with your free hand add solvent to the patch throught the port. Now as you advance the rod forward to the chamber, slide the insert up the rod until it slips inside the rod guide, and the other "O" ring seals the rear of the rod guide. Now the rod is possitioned center of bore. Push the patch through the barrel and then back the rod out out, as the jag gets into the rod guide again, pull the insert and slide it back down the rod. Continue with this process on the jag rod until you are satisfied you have applied the solvent you want in that barrel per your cleaning method. When it's time to brush, put the jag rod back in the caddie, and retrive the brush rod. Start the brush into the rod guide until the brush lines up with the solvent port. Apply solvent to the brush and then as you start to push the brush ahead, follow it with the insert to seal off the rod guide at the rear, these inserts also close off the solvent port to keep stuff from getting everywhere. Although there is some small leakage and a "stock sock" (Bill Gammon item sold through sinclair) should be used. The same thing holds true, after you are done brushing, back and forth, pull the insert back just as the brush leaves the chamber on the rear stroke. This insert never leaves the rod either. You should wipe each rod free of solvent with a towel, as dirt will stick to the solvents and gum up your rods, or your barrel, or your rod caddie. It takes a while to explain this, but once you do it a few times, you will find that it becomes very natural.

We use David Wick Jags (Larry Allred now) , Pro Shot stainless rods, Lucas guides, and Sinclair patches and Brushes, with great results. Oh... and Bill Gammon Stock Socks eh!

Paul

Back