Mike Ezell tuner

Markhor

Can someone that is using Mikes center fire tuner please tell me how they have it setup? Is their a mark on the rifle barrel that lines up to the numbers on the body of the tuner as you turn it?
Does the entire body of the tuner move or just the cover cone of the tuner moves by loosening the 3 screws on the body of the tuner.

Thanks,
Ed

Can someone that is using Mikes center fire tuner please tell me how they have it setup? Is their a mark on the rifle barrel that lines up to the numbers on the body of the tuner as you turn it?
Does the entire body of the tuner move or just the cover cone of the tuner moves by loosening the 3 screws on the body of the tuner.

Thanks,
Ed

Mike will probably reply to this thread, but I'll go ahead with what I have. I have two of Mike's tuners, one on a BAT 6PPC and one on a Modified Rem 722 chambered in 6 Beggs. Both, as all other tuners, work exactly the same way. Mike did not put a mark on either barrel when he threaded it. I haven't either, with this tuner, nor with any other. I've not found it necessary. I believe his instructions say to begin with the tuner screwed in as far as it will go then move back out one full tuner. I do a little different with all of mine. I begin with two full turns out. Then I shoot a 3 shot group. Depending on the amount of vertical I will usually move the tuner in about 1/8" and shoot another group. If the vertical decreases, I'll continue in. If it increases I'll move out past the original starting point. I continue until virtually all the vertical is removed and note the temperature. This usually doesn't take more than three or four groups. When starting a match I will use the warm up/sight in period (UBR matches) to check the turn with a three shot group, moving in for colder temps (using the original starting point) and out for warmer. Most adjustments are 1/16'-1/8' before finding the tune I want. This location or tune will repeat over and over as you move the tuner either in or out. It doesn't take much. The entire tuner body moves. I don't tighten the three screws as the "o" ring holds things snug.

YMMV,
Rick

Mike will probably reply to this thread, but I'll go ahead with what I have. I have two of Mike's tuners, one on a BAT 6PPC and one on a Modified Rem 722 chambered in 6 Beggs. Both, as all other tuners, work exactly the same way. Mike did not put a mark on either barrel when he threaded it. I haven't either, with this tuner, nor with any other. I've not found it necessary. I believe his instructions say to begin with the tuner screwed in as far as it will go then move back out one full tuner. I do a little different with all of mine. I begin with two full turns out. Then I shoot a 3 shot group. Depending on the amount of vertical I will usually move the tuner in about 1/8" and shoot another group. If the vertical decreases, I'll continue in. If it increases I'll move out past the original starting point. I continue until virtually all the vertical is removed and note the temperature. This usually doesn't take more than three or four groups. When starting a match I will use the warm up/sight in period (UBR matches) to check the turn with a three shot group, moving in for colder temps (using the original starting point) and out for warmer. Most adjustments are 1/16'-1/8' before finding the tune I want. This location or tune will repeat over and over as you move the tuner either in or out. It doesn't take much. The entire tuner body moves. I don't tighten the three screws as the "o" ring holds things snug.

YMMV,
Rick

Thanks Rick, this was exactly the info I was looking for.

Ed

… When starting a match I will use the warm up/sight in period (UBR matches) to check the turn with a three shot group, moving in for colder temps (using the original starting point) and out for warmer. Most adjustments are 1/16'-1/8' before finding the tune I want. ...

Rick,
I'm not sure what the thread pitch is on Mike's tuner, but does this mean that you are adjusting 2-4 turns to find tune? I think Mike adjusted his Shadetree by small fractions of a turn. I do the same with mine. If I remember correctly, Begg's tuner is a quarter turn between tuned nodes. If Mike's new tuner takes a lot more twisting to find tune, that is not necessarily bad, but it is quite different.

Thanks,
Keith

With the Beggs Tuners on our barrels, I'm turning 1/12 or one hour of turn to fine tune from match to match on most days. To make the tiny adjustments more easily, we've etched an index Mark on all our barrels.

Rick,
I'm not sure what the thread pitch is on Mike's tuner, but does this mean that you are adjusting 2-4 turns to find tune? I think Mike adjusted his Shadetree by small fractions of a turn. I do the same with mine. If I remember correctly, Begg's tuner is a quarter turn between tuned nodes. If Mike's new tuner takes a lot more twisting to find tune, that is not necessarily bad, but it is quite different.

Thanks,
Keith

Sorry Keith,
Just went back and reread my post. I can see how this could have been misunderstood. I didn't make myself clear at all. I am only turning the tuner 1/16"th-1/8". Very small adjustments. Not that much in, just that much movement. Is this any clearer? I think Francis makes it a bit clearer. If anything, I am moving the tuner >less< than I did with a Shadetree.

Rick

Last edited:
Sorry Keith,
Just went back and reread my post. I can see how this could have been misunderstood. I didn't make myself clear at all. I am only turning the tuner 1/16"th-1/8". Very small adjustments. Not that much in, just that much movement. Is this any clearer? I think Francis makes it a bit clearer. If anything, I am moving the tuner >less< than I did with a Shadetree.

Rick

Rick,
Thanks. It's reassuring that several tuners respond about the same.

Cheers,
Keith

Rick,
Thanks. It's reassuring that several tuners respond about the same.

Cheers,
Keith

Keith,
Mike believes that his have a wider tune window. That may well be the case. I have at least 7 different types of tuners. They all do exactly the same thing, but some are easier than others to adjust. I've not found that any requires much movement to change/adjust the tune.

YMMV,
Rick

Thanks,
Ed

Ed, I've finally replied to your email and am sorry it took so long. I haven't been online much since before Thanksgiving Day. I hope you have had your questions answered. If not, by all means, give me a call. I'm happy to discuss it.

I will say that there is some good info already, from Rick and others...but a tuner is a tuner, for the most part. They all do basically the same thing. The benefit of my tuner stems largely from the particle dampening aspect of it. There's a good read on my site in regard to particle dampening and why I feel it is a step forward in terms of vibration management.

That said, the three set screws you mention are there for two important reasons. The are nylon tipped and set the tension for adjustment and stabilize the front of the tuner against movement on the threads due to vibration. I recommend they be set by just touching off on the threads and go another 1/4-3/8 of a turn on each set screw. The only reason to move them is for re-adjustment at some point or for complete removal. When turned all the way off, as you turn the tuner, the nylon tips wipe most of the lube from the threads, making galling more likely. So, backing them off for removal can't hurt and can only be a good thing, for this reason.

They need to be snug, not tight nor loose. Just tight enough to apply tension on the threads to support the front of the tuner. At the rear, is an o-ring that supports the rear of the tuner. It runs on a flat that is machined onto the barrel rearward of the threads by 1/2". This attachment makes for a stable mounting of the tuner and gives resistance to turning, similarly to other tuners that use "jam nuts" to do the same. In a nutshell, the attachment is a cross between a Borden style tuner that uses nylon thumb screws for resistance to turning and loading of the threads, a Harrells that uses o-rings and detents to do the same, and a Bukys that uses a rubber sleeve on the outside to better dampen vibration. Instead of using an outer rubber sleeve, mine uses particle dampening for better vibration control.

Overall, I took what others have proven to work and applied what I believe to be improvements in these areas and built a tuner that's aesthetically more pleasing, but the particle dampening is what separates it from the crowd. I encourage everyone to read the linked study on particle dampening on my site. I simply feel it's a step in the right direction in tuner design due to better vibration management vs. all others.
The results I've seen have been quite good and I don't know of anything I'd do differently with it. It does work but as I said previously, I think all properly made and installed tuners work.

There has been some testing started using vibration analysis equipment by a very qualified professor at the University of Cincinnati that is sounding extremely impressive in regard to it's dampening properties and we should have quantifiable results soon from more testing.

As I've stated, I simply feel it is a step in the right direction where tuners are concerned.

FWIW, the very first match I shot using it, with all known commodities, i.e., load, barrel, tuner setting, etc, I tied the previous UBR record with it. As an aside to that...I finished 2nd in that match!!:mad::confused::D

Everything stated here is related to the centerfire version. I offer it for both rimfire and centerfire. The rf version attaches like a Harrells. The cf requires machining/threading of the barrel.--Mike

Back