Meplat closing, and coherence among ballistics programs

I know I have some one-off Pindell gear, but some of Kevin Kram's tooling does an outstanding job along the lines of my Pindell mini lathe. Kevin's products are top shelf and very affordable.
Favor Center,
Jim

HI Law Dog (my apologies for getting your name wrong on the other thread)

Could you expand on the Kevin Cram tooling. When you are discussing it are you refering to your tests with the 338 bullets where the meplat was thinned allowing for a tighter closing with your Pindell gear, do you find the cleaning out of the centre of the meplat has some significant improvement in closing the point which results in higher BC values vs. simple pointing?

Thanks
Trevor

Last edited:
I have never used Kevin's tooling on 338 or 30 cal bullets, but I have used it on 7mm Hybirds. I was impressed with the quality and performance of his products.

I think that Kevin's site will give you more helpful info on the subject.

Jim

Charles:

1% ??????? I am not going to bite, and I am not going there for many reasons. All I can say is Wow.

Jim

Some clarification (maybe)

Made it to Pittsburgh OK. Lots of wind and rain along the way but mid 70's.

A key fact to remember about gains from pointing is: the amount of BC gain possible from pointing depends entirely on how large the original meplats are 'out of the box'. And that can be a lot-to-lot variable for the same bullet type.

If someone has some 6mm CR bullets with very small meplats, it would be difficult to believe that pointing would increase their BC by the 9% required to cause the observed 18" POI shift at 1k yards. And I would agree (that it's difficult to believe). However, if the bullets that were used in the test were of a different lot which had larger meplats (very common for all bullet makers to have different meplat diameters between lots of the same bullet), then the 9% improvement is very plausible.

This also goes for the 2155. I recall the lot I tested had quite small meplats to begin with, so pointing them wasn't a big deal. Furthermore, this test was done with Johns original (only) angle die which is not optimal for that relatively blunt bullet. I chalk the unimpressive 1% measured BC gain up to those two factors which are unique to my test. If someone claims a higher BC increase from pointing a different lot of 2155's with a different pointing die, I certainly have no grounds to question their results. I say: 'their lot probably had bigger meplats to begin with'.

Another subject I picked up on after re-reading some posts in this thread regarding ballistic program predictions. It seems to me that someone was using the JBM tool that allows you to calculate the bullet BC from it's dimensions, then run a trajectory. Various bullet geometries were entered in an attempt to model the effect of pointing on trajectory. I can explain the problem with this approach. The module of the JBM code that predicts BC based on bullet dimensions is not able to properly model a pointed meplat bullet. When you enter a bullet geometry, then change nothing but the meplat diameter, the program actually models an entirely different ogive geometry, one that's more secant with a smaller meplat. In other words, it doesn't leave the whole ogive the same and just size the tip down (as it is in real life). This is the reason why an estimated POI shift due to bullet pointing would not be accurate according to the JBM estimate: it's simply not modeling the pointed geometry like you mean for it to.

Shooters want a straight answer to the question: "How much BC gain from pointing?" Unfortunately, the answer is: it depends (a lot). Mostly it depends on the bullets you start with, and a little on the tool you use. It's understandable that people get different results when testing different lots of bullets with different tools, and the inconsistent results certainly don't imply that anyone's results are invalid.

-Bryan

CR 6mm's are all made on the same J4 jacket and vary only in core weight. All CR 6mm's are made in the same dies. The ejector pin in the pointing die is 0.050". I think I'm correct in that all CR's, ^=6, 6.5 and30 cal are 13 cal tangent ogive compared to 15 cal for the Berger VLD's. Near as I can measure my CR 6's the meplats are 0.052" and they look comparatively small. This re-enforces the fact that every lot of bullets is at least a little different than the last.

This has me wondering if pointing may be a way to make bullets more consistent. If you're helping the "bad" ones more than the "good", are you not tightening the distribution range a little, while skewing it a little towards the "good" direction? Or is that line of reasoning too simplistic? My knowledge of bullet manufacturing is admittedly limited.

Shooters want a straight answer to the question: "How much BC gain from pointing?" Unfortunately, the answer is: it depends (a lot). Mostly it depends on the bullets you start with, and a little on the tool you use. It's understandable that people get different results when testing different lots of bullets with different tools, and the inconsistent results certainly don't imply that anyone's results are invalid.[emphasis added]

Perhaps, but they need explaining. To waste a little time, Bryan, I started this thread because reported phenomena did not match what the ballistics tools we have predicted. To use a different analogy, I have a long-standing, complicated medical issue. Last week, a new doctor said “It's all caused by a virus, probably one you got as a kid over 50 years ago.” Very medical. But if a 16th century priest said “It's all caused by demonic possession,” the only difference would be if current doctor can do something, or at least, predict the next step in the disease. Otherwise, demonic possession is just as good, just as scientific an explanation as a virus.

Now that 18-inch high bullet strike has been around a while, and is often used as an argument for the benefits of closing meplats. Secondly, I know all the players, though some better than others. They are all reasonably serious, careful people. I would be stunned if Greg Sigmund (who made the bullets) released a run of bullets with a meplat significantly more open than normal. One of the things he has always taken pride in are the meplats of his bullets. I've know Jim Hardy a long time. Like most of us (certainly including me), he may not always be right in his conclusions, but his observation statements can be deposited in the bank. I don't know Jason Baney well, but he doesn't seem the sort to accidentally tip the powder can during a test.

OK, there is an empirical phenomena. On the earlier thread, I had also mentioned that Dave Tooley, on seeing the Oehler/Bartholome raw data on long-range bullet performance, had purchased a Model 43 and done some work of his own. Where we started was looking at the extreme spread of BC in 10-shot groups. Several bullets/loads in the Oehler/Bartholome data had an ES of .020 for B.C. Looking only at the evenness of ES for BC, we quickly noticed that all the tipped bullets (A-max & perhaps a couple Nosler) had very low ES/SD with respect to BC. So as a first test, Dave set up to put the plastic tips in bullets. I know we tipped the 187 BIB and the 106 CR -- both of which I shot in competition, plus some bullets used at that time by Scott Fletcher and Steve Shelp. I don't remember if the tipped 106 CR's were ever run over the Model 43; I wasn't able to attend the test session. But in terms of height of bullet strike and group size, the tipped 106 CR I shot at 1,000 yards showed no increase or advantage over the box-stock 106s. To conclude the story, Trimming meplats, which also solved the problem of larger ES in BC, took a lot less time than inserting tips. Dave decided that the slight increase in BC from tipped bullets wasn't worth the effort, and came up with his meplat trimmer.

So Apples to a near-kin kind of fruit, we have conflicting data. Looking for any kind of explanation other than Greg Sigmund let out a really horrible lot of bullets (which would be very hard to believe), I asked Randy Robinett to compute the increase in BC if the meplats of his bullets were closed from 0.050 to 0.010. I realize the JBM program wasn't designed to give accurate information/prediction with a change only at the point, but if making that change gave results in the general region, at least we'd have a place to look further. And it kinda, sorta did, except it didn't quite predict the entire gain, and as you point out, reshaped the ogive generally to get there.

I also remembered a statement of yours, that a bullet could be dialed in to a particular Mach number, and as I remember (could be wrong), you thought the shape of the ogive for that bullet would not be a simple tangent or secant. So I wondered if we had maybe stumbled on an instance of that.

So that was why I started this thread; you'll notice that the title is coherence amongst ballistics programs. Maybe most people will settle for “Better, I don't know why or how much, but I don't care.” I suppose I'd take it too, “better is always better” is a tautology. But I've also learned over the years that if we understand a phenomena, and can place it within a theory, we get a lot more “betters,” and faster.

So no, inconsistent results really do mean something is wrong, and if we can find it, we're better off. Especially if it leads us to a better model for ballistic theory.

German, If you can change the (G-1) BC from .520 TO .560 at 2,950 MV, at 1,000 yards, that's worth 1-inch less drift per 1 mph of wind -- 10 inches for a pure 90-degree, 10 mph wind. You're not interested in that?

Damon:

You reasoning is simplistic -- and exactly dead center. Extra BC comes with the package in most instances, but it is ALL about consistent BC, i.e., consistent vertical at long range. Those of us who "play" with "tricks" to get the BC up usually just do it because we enjoy it. German's posts in this thread are exactly correct.

Jim Hardy

Last edited:
German:

It sounds like we have located the mother load! I would love to buy 20 of the CR 106's that are the same OAL. I will do what I do to the bullets and send them to you for testing -- or just shooting in a 1000 yard prone match. I would love to see your results out of your 6XC. I know you are recovering from a shoulder injury, but your tube gun on the F-Class rest would get it done.

Get well and keep up the great work on your site.

Jim Hardy

Last edited:
Bryan:

Are you tracking all this? Will your commitments to various companies let you participate in some testing? (I don't really know how this sounds. I'm trying to be nice, and acknowledge the real world situation, where professionals such as yourself must have "contractual obligations," whereas us hobbyists don't. Happens to me in my profession from time to time.)

German:

I got the tongue in cheek, no need to apologize. I'll get the last laugh when a 2 mph wind shift -- that you cannot see -- gives you a 10 instead of an X.

Jim:

I'd certainly be willing to contribute 20 106 CRs -- and/or 105s and 100s -- for a controlled test. If German's shoulder can let him find his 106s in the garage, he can give us a rough idea of the meplat diameter, to make sure mine aren't different. Anyway, what would make sense to me would be to use a model 43 Oehler -- or some such chronograph that can give us TOF -- which would let us calculate the BC improvement. And if you want a drop test too, I'm sure Jason could do that as well. Or maybe John Whidden, didn't you say he has a private place where he can shoot long range?

My only reservations is that of the 200 or so 106s I have, I' like to hang on to 100, so if I ever get another really great 6mm barrel, I have enough of them for one last Nationals. They're that good.

If Bryan is involved, I'm sure he has a chronograph that will work. If not, maybe we can get Dave Tooley to either participate, or lend us his 43.

Not really related, but sort of. I've been mulling over how nice it would be if we could get some F-class shooters to shoot in the IBS LG category. The rifles are too heavy; we'd need either a formal or informal way to recognize the difference. I know they are legal in the HG class, but I think they're at too big a disadvantage against the "almost RTB" Heavies.

I think we would both learn a bit about each other's sport. Equally good, of course, would be for some of us BR sorts to shoot a F-class match. Anyone who can take of their brake could compete, right?

The most important thing we'd learn is just how much difference shoot-pull target-mark-shoot influences decisions we make about equipment, and perhaps technique. And how much the siren song of "BEST GROUP" influences benchrest shooters in their choices.

Jim Hardy has been a National level competitor in both, as, I believe, has Jerry Tierney. But it's one thing to go & shoot a nationals, another to make decisions about what to buy, how to work, how to think. The only one I know who's done that is Jim -- I'm sure there are others, care to let us know?

Last edited:
Hi charles, I have a little info on an F/Class style event conducted during 1000yd Benchrest events here in Australia,can send to you if interested ..JR..Jeff Rogers

Back