Memory Lapse

L

LesWard

Gentle Men,

I am new here so pardon my dumb a$$ questions. Years (30) ago I started a project gun for my brother based on a donar Mod 700. in 30-06. My question is how many options do I have based on the 30-06? He has since passed away and I would like to finish this rifle for his son.

Obviously a 25-06 but what else is compatable.

Boy! I cant believe how things have changed and technical you guys are.

I am moving to an area that has a real range and would like to get back into
shooting.

Also had a question on purchasing a gun on line as far as payment. Paypal or an escrow account? Makes me a little concerned about sending a bunch of money to someone I don't know. I am aware of the FFL rules etc.

Mahalo

Aloha, Les Ward Maui

I personally haven't had a money problem over the internet. You need to get proper info and check to see if his address and phone number are listed.
A 30-06 can be a 25-06, 6-06, 6.5-06, 7-06, 270, 30-06, 358, and I believe 9.3-06. Factory ammo is limited to 25-06, 30-06, and 358, I believe.
Butch

If you want to re barrel to a different cartridge, basically anything with the same size head will work...

...some calibers that are built on short actions are better on long (your action) actions... the 6mm Remington, 257 Roberts, 7 x 57. These are also suitably lower recoil.

What will the rifle be used for? How big is the shooter? These need to be known to make more meaningful suggestions.

hunting big game?

in my opinion actually it is hard to beat the 30-06. that is the cartridge most gun writers compare all the others too. what are your objectives in this project? pretty hunting rifle, superaccurate hunting and varmint mix, wood, fiberglass, ect...

there are alot of roads for one to take in this arena. for a gift i get all misty eyed over rust bluing, highly figured walnut (check out http://familygrade.blogspot.com/ if interested) , timney trigger ( http://www.timneytriggers.com/sunshop/catalog/Remington-6-1.html ) , and of course a luppie scope ( http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-shooting ) . hope that helps Fred

Steve Timm

always wrote about the 280 rem AI. this is one cartridge that has always facinated me. also, chubb eastman liked the 6.5-280 rem AI. i think Darrell Holland chambers this one. Fred

Les,

Your question is not completely clear to me.

Which of your old parts do you wish to use in the new rifle?

Use the action but the bolt and barrel are up for modification/replacement? Then you have many choices.

Use the action and the bolt, with the barrel being up for modification/replacement?
Then your choices are fewer.

Use the existing action, bolt and barrel?
Then your choices are much more limited.

Please elaborate on your objectives if possible.

If you want to be safe, then pay by U.S. Postal Money Order for little over a buck you hire the meanest nastiest SOB attorneys in the world, who's only job is to prosecute people that use the mail and wire for fraud. Fraud by Internet comes under wire fraud. So you give them a double whammy of Postal fraud, You mailed the "POSTAL Money Order to them and the defrauded you using the Internet. You just have to love these normally low life attorneys working for the government in your high dollar (for a buck) investment.

I have a 358 and should know that. Memory lapse!
Butch
Yes, but, the 308/358 could cause feeding problems in a long action. Changing the magazine box and floor plate may work though if he wanted to use the short case.

If the son is recoil sensitive, and the feeding problem would not be a biggie, how about a 243 Winchester.

Last edited:
Yes, but, the 308/358 would cave feeding problems in a long action. Changing the magazine box and floor plate may work though if he wanted to use the short case.

If the son is recoil sensitive, and the feeding problem would not be a biggie, how about a 243 Winchester.

Or a .257 Roberts?

Fitch

I use a long action 700 with a Kwik-Klip system... in 7mm 08. The Klip system allows easy feeding of long or short cartridges.

Thanks a lot guys,

My plan is to use the action and install a new barrel. I will likely go with a varmit/deer round. Like a 243, 257, etc. As I said this project started 30+ years ago. At that time my brother had purchased a beater 700,new unfinished thumbhole stock, and a trigger. If it wasn,t for the fact that this was the boys dads, whom he barely knew, I would probably just build a utility deer gun.
The gun ( parts are currently 2500 miles to the east in Calif. ) so I am just trying to get a mental headstart.

Can I ship gun parts without going thru the FFl routine?

Aloha, Les

Can I ship gun parts without going thru the FFl routine?

No FFL needed to ship parts. Parts is parts!

The receiver however is a firearm, even without the barrel. If you are shipping from where it's at to where you are going to be, person to person, no FFL needed for your own firearm.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, at least for now, you can ship a firearm to a FFL gunsmith for repair and he can ship it directly back to you without having to go through a FFL on your end.

What will nephew us the rifle for?

There are as have been posted many choices. I think it is important to know more about the nephew and his shooting habits. If he reloads a wild cat cartridge would give him something unique. If he hunts goats and hogs in Hawaii there may be some better than other choices. If he hunts varmints, or just shoots paper the choices would be different.

I would give a lot of consideration to your nephew and your brothers likes and dislikes.

Good luck with your choice as you can tell the BRC crowd is never short of advice.

Rustystud

I was a Premier Busuiness Member of PayPal and a member for five years. I used it all the time. I accepted payment for a Ruger #1 I sold on Gunbroker.com. Paypal fired me as a customer, no warning, zero tolerance. I emailed them the definition of bigotry and told them they have to stop calling themselves liberals because the two definitions are based upon tolerance or lack thereof. I wish the NRA would start an on-line banking service. they are big enough to force ebay to accept their service. P.S. Paypal was listed as a payment option on Gunbroker.com. The buyer chose to use it, not me. I was kicked off by the time I found out he had used it.

I was a Premier Busuiness Member of PayPal and a member for five years. I used it all the time. I accepted payment for a Ruger #1 I sold on Gunbroker.com. Paypal fired me as a customer, no warning, zero tolerance. I emailed them the definition of bigotry and told them they have to stop calling themselves liberals because the two definitions are based upon tolerance or lack thereof. I wish the NRA would start an on-line banking service. they are big enough to force ebay to accept their service. P.S. Paypal was listed as a payment option on Gunbroker.com. The buyer chose to use it, not me. I was kicked off by the time I found out he had used it.

The NRA would do a banking thing, As soon as Wayne Lapissintheair figures away to keep the money and line his own pockets.

Back